Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 482(9+3) = ?

View Poll Results: Which answer do you prefer?
2 35 58.33%
288 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

15 May 2011   #111

Win7 Ultimate SP1 6.1.7601 x86
 
 

The calculator obviously simplified 48/2(9+3) to (48/2)*(9+3) and used SOOO to simplify the equation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #112

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

48 2 (9+3)
24 (12)
24 x 12

= 288

when there's a bracket the values multiply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #113

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kenmdotexe View Post

SOOO vs Pemdas
~ SOOO will basically simplify it to 288.
~ PEMDAS will basically simplify to 2.


The resulting answer between both differs due to dissimilar order of mathematical processes.
~ Division is applied before multiplication in SOOO.
~ Multiplication is applied before division in PEMDAS

They're the same thing, and multiplication and division have the same priority. If they're the two operands to do in a sum, then you just work from left to right. To get the answer 2, you'd have to force the multiplication first and do 48/(2(9+3)).

And calculators that have a stack i.e. graphic calculators will give the result 288. Other calculators without a stack will give the answer 2. I gave an example of it a couple of pages back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #114

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post
Wow. Don't overthink it folks. Go back to simple math.

482(9+3) Once you do the work in brakets this question becomes
482x12 At this point you follow the math rule that you do complex problems in the order they appear, which gives you
24x12= 288

Order of Operations - PEMDAS
[QUOTE=Everlong;1398230]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kenmdotexe View Post

SOOO vs Pemdas
~ SOOO will basically simplify it to 288.
~ PEMDAS will basically simplify to 2.

The resulting answer between both differs due to dissimilar order of mathematical processes.
~ Division is applied before multiplication in SOOO.
~ Multiplication is applied before division in PEMDAS


They're the same thing, and multiplication and division have the same priority. If they're the two operands to do in a sum, then you just work from left to right. To get the answer 2, you'd have to force the multiplication first and do 48/(2(9+3)).

And calculators that have a stack i.e. graphic calculators will give the result 288. Other calculators without a stack will give the answer 2. I gave an example of it a couple of pages back.
No disrespect intended Everlong, but the rule, in PEMDAS, is not multipication first, multipication and division are equal in status. What you do is simply start from the left and go to the right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #115

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post

No disrespect intended Everlong, but the rule, in PEMDAS, is not multipication first, multipication and division are equal in status. What you do is simply start from the left and go to the right.
That's what I said, and it's what I've always been saying that multiplication and division have the same precedence.

Just seen my last post has the quote messed up. I've fixed it, so it should look clearer to what I said.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #116

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I just do the stuff in parenthesis first, then all the multiplication/division operations from left to right, like they taught me in college. :P

288
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #117

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post

No disrespect intended Everlong, but the rule, in PEMDAS, is not multipication first, multipication and division are equal in status. What you do is simply start from the left and go to the right.
That's what I said, and it's what I've always been saying that multiplication and division have the same precedence.

Just seen my last post has the quote messed up. I've fixed it, so it should look clearer to what I said.
I hope there's no hard feelings Everlong.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
I just do the stuff in parenthesis first, then all the multiplication/division operations from left to right, like they taught me in college. :P

288

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #118

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alfred01 View Post

No disrespect intended Everlong, but the rule, in PEMDAS, is not multipication first, multipication and division are equal in status. What you do is simply start from the left and go to the right.
That's what I said, and it's what I've always been saying that multiplication and division have the same precedence.

Just seen my last post has the quote messed up. I've fixed it, so it should look clearer to what I said.
I hope there's no hard feelings Everlong.
None at all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #119

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Multiplication doesn't have precedence over division though and vice versa. If they're the only two operands left in the sum, then you simply just work left to right and in this case it would be divide then multiply, hence you get 288.
You get the A+.

Microsoft Math bears this out, as does Professor M. at CSU.

If you still don't believe it you must be using a Mac.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #120

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Multiplication doesn't have precedence over division though and vice versa. If they're the only two operands left in the sum, then you simply just work left to right and in this case it would be divide then multiply, hence you get 288.
You get the A+.

Microsoft Math bears this out, as does Professor M. at CSU.

If you still don't believe it you must be using a Mac.
MS Math FTW. LOL at using a Mac XD XD XD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33