Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Chromebooks are coming

08 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Chromebooks are coming

With Apple's icloud and now Google's Chromebooks - it looks like the push for cloud computing for the public is becoming a reluctant reality.

A couple concerns I have are:

1) WHY cloud when your data has the chance of being twice as secure on your own machine

2) Price - If I pay that much, I'd rather a computer i can install software and store data on.

3) The promise that you can connect anywhere?! They can't prove it will be 100% available and at the quality they are advertising.

4) IF you lose your Chromebook (I guess their aiming for idiots), what is required to access your data on another machine? Would you be forced to install specific software?

It sucks being so negative about this "cloud" thing - but when popular corporations are dealing with security issues, i would think people would be a bit skeptical about the idea of trusting their data/programs to someone else.


Samsung Chromebook is interesting but incomplete | Crave - CNET

Quote:
After a little use, though, the Chromebook's shine starts to wear off. For us it started when we needed to open a ZIP file and were greeted with an unsupported file format error. That left us searching for a Web site that would open compressed files.....We then needed to edit a photo, which yet again required uploading to a site, waiting for the photo to be processed, editing the photo, and downloading it from the site.

And then there's the issue of needing an Internet connection for just about everything. Yes, there are offline apps in the Chrome Web Store, but many of them are games (bad ones at that). As of right now, Google Docs is online only and other options like Zoho Writer need the unsupported Google Gears to work offline.
the tear down

Samsung Chromebook Teardown Reveals | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mr pc View Post
With Apple's icloud and now Google's Chromebooks - it looks like the push for cloud computing for the public is becoming a reluctant reality.

A couple concerns I have are:

1) WHY cloud when your data has the chance of being twice as secure on your own machine

2) Price - If I pay that much, I'd rather a computer i can install software and store data on.

3) The promise that you can connect anywhere?! They can't prove it will be 100% available and at the quality they are advertising.

4) IF you lose your Chromebook (I guess their aiming for idiots), what is required to access your data on another machine? Would you be forced to install specific software?

It sucks being so negative about this "cloud" thing - but when popular corporations are dealing with security issues, i would think people would be a bit skeptical about the idea of trusting their data/programs to someone else.


Samsung Chromebook is interesting but incomplete | Crave - CNET

Quote:
After a little use, though, the Chromebook's shine starts to wear off. For us it started when we needed to open a ZIP file and were greeted with an unsupported file format error. That left us searching for a Web site that would open compressed files.....We then needed to edit a photo, which yet again required uploading to a site, waiting for the photo to be processed, editing the photo, and downloading it from the site.

And then there's the issue of needing an Internet connection for just about everything. Yes, there are offline apps in the Chrome Web Store, but many of them are games (bad ones at that). As of right now, Google Docs is online only and other options like Zoho Writer need the unsupported Google Gears to work offline.
the tear down

Samsung Chromebook Teardown Reveals | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

1. Because that would make too much sense.

2. Yeah but then "they" can't access your data whenever they want.

3. Carrot in front of the horse.

4. Probably some ridiculous 2, 3, 4, or 5 step verification process.

(I guess their aiming for idiots) Pretty much. The whole concept is geared towards that idea, and so they can have access to your data at any time they want. But shhh, they won't mention that part.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP 1;Windows 8 Consumer Preview;Ubuntu 12.10
 
 

I hate the cloud idea. If the world goes to the cloud I will be building my own data server and store everything on my own secure network with my server. I'm not going to just trust everything I own to someone's random server in China or whatnot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #4

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Chromebooks are actually very nice. I don't use one for a main computer, but when I am out and about, the battery life kicks ass, and it's light as heck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7
 
 

does the chromebook allow you to "connect" with your home pc?

I don't know if weight and battery life are a good enough reason (for me) to relinquish privacy, security, and accessibility

they are pricey too - for that price they should toss in a HD!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #6

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Yes, it connects to the home PC, but doesn't have the capability to store things on an external drive, unless samsung has made it possible.

I use mine mostly for notes in class, browsing the web, and things like that when I am on the go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #7

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook Key Specifications (UNITED KINGDOM)

Processor: 1.66 GHz Intel Atom dual-core N570 processor
Storage: 16 GB solid-state drive (SSD)
System Memory: 2 GB
Communications: Wireless-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)
Ports: Two USB 2.0, 4-in-1 memory card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
Video out: VGA (via optional dongle)
Audio: Built-in stereo speakers, combo headphone/microphone jack
Battery: 6-cell battery for up to 8.5 hours of use
Webcam: 1-megapixel

Quote:
Manufacturer's Description
Innovatively designed to go as long as you can, the Samsung Chromebook Series 5 lets you spend the whole day surfing, streaming, and working on the web on just one charge. With less than 10-second booting and an amazing 8.5 hours of battery life, the light and sleek Chromebook Series 5 gives you the ultimate web experience that you won't find on any other laptop.


Search for the best web experience and you'll find the new Samsung Chromebook Series 5 (see larger image).
The Chrome-based operating system features a streamlined user interface, making it easier for you to navigate the web--where you already spend most of your computing time. All your apps, documents, and settings are stored safely in the cloud. Every Chrome notebook runs millions of web apps, from games to spreadsheets to photo editors. And the Samsung Chromebook uses advanced technology to help prevent malware and viruses from accessing your data without you ever having to lift a finger.

This Samsung Chromebook in white features a 12.1-inch LED-backlit display with an anti-reflective screen. It's powered by a next-generation, dual-core Intel processor, which combines performance and energy efficiency to provide new levels of support for applications like games, as well as Adobe Flash technology for improved access to multimedia sites such as YouTube and BBC iPlayer. Weighing in at 1.3 kilograms, the ultra compact design provides maximum portability without compromising on functionality and optimal performance

You'll be able to connect to ultra-fast Wireless-N networks in your home or office, and it includes two USB ports, a 4-in-1 memory card reader, buttonless touchpad with multi-gesture support, and a 1-megapixel webcam for video chats and snapping pics for social networking sites.


Attached Thumbnails
Chromebooks are coming-brys-snap-14-june-2011-20h12m04s-04.png  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #8

64 bit win 7
 
 
How to connect with PC

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Yes, it connects to the home PC, but doesn't have the capability to store things on an external drive, unless samsung has made it possible.

I use mine mostly for notes in class, browsing the web, and things like that when I am on the go.

LiquidSnake, how do you connect with your home PC. I thought you couldn't download and software on to the Chromebooks?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Why the cloud? Because you can get your data from everything. Eventually, people are going to want their data not only when they are at home on their computer, or laptop..but also on their tabllet, smartphone, on their video game consoles, from within the computer in their car, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by computertech19 View Post
I hate the cloud idea. If the world goes to the cloud I will be building my own data server and store everything on my own secure network with my server. I'm not going to just trust everything I own to someone's random server in China or whatnot.
Where do you store your stuff now? If everything goes to the cloud, then why would you need to build your own data server vs what you are currently using?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Chromebooks are coming
Thread Forum
No bass coming from Sub Sound & Audio
Words not coming up at all on everything BSOD Help and Support
No sound coming out Drivers
Box coming out every time General Discussion
Icon coming and going. General Discussion
The Guy Never Saw It Coming Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33