Today, as almost every year, we had invited some friends and neighbors for cocktails at home by us, followed by a late Christmas lunch in a local restaurant. What I saw in that restaurant is why I am posting this:
Dear geeks & geekettes, nerds & nerdettes, especially the younger ones, let an older man explain something to you: You do not need to be rich or have a top education to have manners, to behave civilized. It's causing me almost physical pain to see how quite a big part of young people today seem to have absolutely no idea of good manners. Please remember, we nerds and geeks can also behave civilized, regardless of our background.
Here's some key points I noticed today:
- First, one of the most important rules: a gentleman never wears a hat when inside, no matter if it is a Stetson, a baseball cap, a Borsalino or a simple woolly hat. Young men sitting in a restaurant, eating, wearing a hat, it really is uncivilized. No matter if it is Waldorf Astoria or Mcdonalds or Starbucks or Four Seasons, the hat is taken away already when entering a restaurant or cafe or house or building. This rule has no exceptions. Wearing a hat inside is rude, ugly and shows you have no manners.
- No matter how proud you are about your tattoo or piercing, it is no excuse to wear sleeveless t-shirt or one that leaves your belly naked or exposes half of your butt during the winter season, especially when it is one of the most important holidays and other people are dressing nice to occasion. You can brag of the results of your self-mutilation again on beach next summer.
- However fine headset your MP3 player has, it goes off when you are having a dinner with friends and family. Otherwise you show disrespect towards others.
- If you forgot your headset home, it does not mean you can listen your favorite music from your handheld device's speakers, not even to show the people how cool music you have.
- Same with mobile phone: it goes off or at least silent when gathering together for dinner. Also no texting or mobile surfing. Only exceptions are if you are on duty, that you need to be available because of your job or waiting a "life or dead" call. But, also in this case you do never take a call when sitting at the table; instead you excuse yourself politely and go where your call does not disturb others or cause unnecessary attention.
- You do not smoke when others are still eating. Especially in a non-smoking establishment, as I saw today
- Fork, knife and spoon are meant to be used as tools to get food from your plate to your mouth. Your fingers are not for this use. Exceptions exists, if you do not know those exceptions ask others in your company "Is this meant to be eaten with fingers?".
- Restaurants are in general not meant to be used for foreplay. Wait until you are back home or at least back in your car.
Basically I could rant a few pages but I think this was enough for now...
Other than that, we really had a nice day with friends. I especially enjoyed, once again, to see how beautiful my Angie is! I'm the proudest man on Earth standing next to her
Signed: an Angry Old Man, formerly known as Kari