Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2012 Conspiracies..

06 Oct 2011   #121
Heyyou

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Remember the millenium scare in 1999, where all those professionals from places like IBM said that when the clock strikes mid-night on January 1st 2000 all the computers in the world would turn to 1/1/1900 and crap out? Planes would fall from the sky, the lights would go out etc. Every company paid big bucks to have every file in their systems upgraded to accept 2000. Homeowners bought generators and stocked up on gasoline. Well, when the clock struck 12:01AM what happened? NOTHING! You can put the 2012 BS in the same context.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #122
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Imperfect1,

Quote:
Totally agree --- being able to get off of this planet (and having somewhere hospitable to go) would be our only hope of survival.

Meanwhile, I would be eating all those fattening things I've been depriving myself of, not to mention indulging in other treats of various sorts!
Sorry to be a party pooper, but what makes you think that there is another planet out there that would be a suitable habitat for you? I know that is a popular concept, but a very faulty one. Even if such a place existed, it would be subject to all of the same dangers as the one that we live on and call home. I also know that in the modern world that the word "home" doesn't have the meaning that it once did, and should still have. I spent the majority of my adult life moving around the country due to employment considerations, and never spent more than a year or two in one place, until recent years (retired). Where I now live is not really a home, but it is the closest thing to it that I have had since childhood, and have come to enjoy it enough that I don't intend to move again, so long as I have a choice.

I realize that your comments were just being facetious, so forgive me for using them for launching my little rambling rant from, but I do so because many people do not appreciate the value of the planet that we live on. No, I'm not an environmentalist or of any mindset related saving the whales, seals, dogs, cats or any other critter including humans, except in less material terms. I shall not go directly into that, partly because I'm not inclined to do so, and partly because it wouldn't be tolerated anyway. What is important is that we all need to prepare ourselves for events that we would prefer would never happen...because they will regardless, but not by some Mayan calendar.

That preparation does not include tossing it all to the wind, and going into binges of behavior that we have trained ourselves to avoid for health or other forms of well being, but it does mean coming to terms with life...ours and others. Doing so will probably not prevent a cosmic collision, as is being discussed, and may not save our lives in this flesh, but our lives will continue long after this flesh is dead, and life shall continue on Earth long after the dust settles. The Earth shall never end...neither will we.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #123
Imperfect1

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Imperfect1,

Quote:
Totally agree --- being able to get off of this planet (and having somewhere hospitable to go) would be our only hope of survival.

Meanwhile, I would be eating all those fattening things I've been depriving myself of, not to mention indulging in other treats of various sorts!
Sorry to be a party pooper, but what makes you think that there is another planet out there that would be a suitable habitat for you? I know that is a popular concept, but a very faulty one. Even if such a place existed, it would be subject to all of the same dangers as the one that we live on and call home. I also know that in the modern world that the word "home" doesn't have the meaning that it once did, and should still have. I spent the majority of my adult life moving around the country due to employment considerations, and never spent more than a year or two in one place, until recent years (retired). Where I now live is not really a home, but it is the closest thing to it that I have had since childhood, and have come to enjoy it enough that I don't intend to move again, so long as I have a choice.

I realize that your comments were just being facetious, so forgive me for using them for launching my little rambling rant from, but I do so because many people do not appreciate the value of the planet that we live on. No, I'm not an environmentalist or of any mindset related saving the whales, seals, dogs, cats or any other critter including humans, except in less material terms. I shall not go directly into that, partly because I'm not inclined to do so, and partly because it wouldn't be tolerated anyway. What is important is that we all need to prepare ourselves for events that we would prefer would never happen...because they will regardless, but not by some Mayan calendar.

That preparation does not include tossing it all to the wind, and going into binges of behavior that we have trained ourselves to avoid for health or other forms of well being, but it does mean coming to terms with life...ours and others. Doing so will probably not prevent a cosmic collision, as is being discussed, and may not save our lives in this flesh, but our lives will continue long after this flesh is dead, and life shall continue on Earth long after the dust settles. The Earth shall never end...neither will we.
You're more than welcome to be a party pooper if you so wish, and to have all of the views you espoused. I disagree with you on several points, however -- but not all.

First and probably most importantly, I believe there are most likely
many, many life sustaining planets (and perhaps other celestial bodies as well) in the skies, because of the incalculably vast number of stars that we are already aware of, not to mention the probably trillions and trillions and trillions of others, of which we are not yet aware. Our problem is not the lack of a hospitable place to go, it is that we have not devoted the time, resources, energy, and funds to develop the technologies we would need if people, in mass numbers, decided/needed to leave this planet. I believe that eventually we will though, assuming our planet is still here and in tact at that time.

Which brings me to the 2nd point on which I disagree with you -- Our sun, like any star, won't last forever and neither will the Earth or any of the other planets in orbit around it. That's just a fact.

And 3rd, I also doubt that our species will last forever. I think that there is a fairly high chance that we will blow ourselves up -- or create some other equally catastrophic event that will end mankind as we know it, (including contaminating our environment so badly that it is no longer habitable) --- or even if, by some miracle, we can control ourselves from doing so, the chances are always present that the planet may be destroyed by the forces of nature before we have developed the means of saving ourselves.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2011   #124
MadSupra354

 

(What I think will happen) The day should be normal, but everyone will be so paranoid that there will be riots and chaos.
Or nothing will happen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #125
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Imperfect1,

I could counter each of your points with many of my own, but there would be no point, because it is clear that you wouldn't accept any of them. There shall come a time when you will understand on your own, and I doubt that time is very far off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #126
Imperfect1

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Imperfect1,

I could counter each of your points with many of my own, but there would be no point, because it is clear that you wouldn't accept any of them. There shall come a time when you will understand on your own, and I doubt that time is very far off.
Fair enough. We'll just agree to disagree, okay?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #127
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

So be it, for there appears to be no choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #128
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Due to the sheer numbers of stars, planets, and galaxies out in the universe I think the chance of other Earth like planets is likely quite good.

Even if a earth type planet is a 1 in a million chance, theres still a very good chance there are more, and very well may have life of some form.
Either Intellegent, or just microbial.


However, the chance of us actually being able to get to one of them is a complete different matter.

The chance of us being able to make that journey is significantly less, than the chance such a planet exists.
At least IMO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #129
Heyyou

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

On the very slim chance that the end is next year, I would suggest getting a few Visa cards now, and when it becomes obvious to you that time is running out, go to France and have a ball maxing out the cards. Don't bother making any payments because the world will end long before they catch up with you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #130
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Due to the sheer numbers of stars, planets, and galaxies out in the universe I think the chance of other Earth like planets is likely quite good.

Even if a earth type planet is a 1 in a million chance, theres still a very good chance there are more, and very well may have life of some form.
Either Intellegent, or just microbial.


However, the chance of us actually being able to get to one of them is a complete different matter.

The chance of us being able to make that journey is significantly less, than the chance such a planet exists.
At least IMO.
That might be true, if life here were by chance, but it is not. All forms of life, including bacterial, require a very long and complex chain of other lifeforms to continue existence. To find a planet with a single lifeform, regardless of how small, will never happen.

It seems clear to me, that even science has proven that no life bearing planets exist, outside of our own, within a distance that makes it a viable option for migration. Therefore, thoughts and discussions along these lines are strictly academic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Thought's on LiveBoot 2012, WinSuite 2012 and PowerSuite Golden ?
Any Thought's on LiveBoot 2012, WinSuite 2012 and PowerSuite Golden ? PowerSuite Golden contains both LiveBoot and WinSuite. Thanks.
Software
Wlm 2012
Hi Folks, I seem to have stopped getting the notifier pop-up when junk mail arrives. I don't think I stopped this myself, can it be reinstated ? Doing a repair install did not help.
Browsers & Mail
Wlm 2012.
Hi Folks, New update is available. http://www.sevenforums.com/software/21530-latest-windows-essentials-2012-version-released.html
Browsers & Mail
kaspersky 2012 or 2012?
hi does anybody know if i can run kaspersky anti-virus 2012 and kaspersky internet security 2012 at the same time ? thank you (please don't email me your reply as it is down)
System Security
SQL Server 2012 (RC)
News from Technet today for anyone interested: Download Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Release Candidate (RC)
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App