Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Plasma, LCD or LED?

27 Sep 2011   #21
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mual View Post
Thanks for the info mate
So how do I recode the audio format? And will it take a long time to do it?
Your getting into a bit of video encoding here .. but provided its only the audio thats a issue ...

I use MeGUI. There may be other programs to this as well, but this how I would do it.

Demux the MKV into RAW streams with something like TS muxer.
Youll have a video and audio file now.

Next, load the DTS file into the Audio portion of MeGUI. Select The Aften AC3 encoder, and choose your bitrate. (448 or 640) Queue it and start it.
Usually takes a couple minutes to recode.

Once done, choose MKV muxer, add the video stream and the AC3 file you just created.
The result will be a MKV file, exactly like the original only using AC3 rather than DTS for audio.

Approx. a 5 minute job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2011   #22
rraod

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Plasma TV tends to burnout some pixels over a period of time...You might have noticed it on the road side big plasma displays... Also they consume more energy. You can forget Plasma TVs eventhough they are cheaper.

In LCD screens, you can find two types of backlighting, LED and Cold CFL. For this application, LEDs prove to be superior, as each LED behind the LCD screen can be turned on and off independently. Turning the LEDs off, allow the LCD display to create a much darker black than can be achieved in a CFL LCD, where the bulbs cannot be turned off.

I recommend you to go for a LED TV with full HD (1080i), with digital tuner which will be future proof and should give you years of trouble free service.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2011   #23
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rraod View Post
Plasma TV tends to burnout some pixels over a period of time...You might have noticed it on the road side big plasma displays... Also they consume more energy. You can forget Plasma TVs eventhough they are cheaper.

In LCD screens, you can find two types of backlighting, LED and Cold CFL. For this application, LEDs prove to be superior, as each LED behind the LCD screen can be turned on and off independently. Turning the LEDs off, allow the LCD display to create a much darker black than can be achieved in a CFL LCD, where the bulbs cannot be turned off.

I recommend you to go for a LED TV with full HD (1080i), with digital tuner which will be future proof and should give you years of trouble free service.
Only LED TV's with Local Dimming can do that, most LED TV's are Edge Lit, meaning LED strips along the sides.

LCD's can can have issues with pixels as well, either stuck or dead pixels.

have you checked what the average wattage is on the current crop of LED, LCD, and Plasma TV's?
this is the label on a 50" Panasonic Plasma
$21/year
I'll look for a label for a 55" or larger in a moment.

here is a 55" Plasma
$24/year

this is a toshiba 55" LCD
$53/year

and this is a Vizio LED
$20/year
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2011   #24
Mual

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rraod View Post
Plasma TV tends to burnout some pixels over a period of time...You might have noticed it on the road side big plasma displays... Also they consume more energy. You can forget Plasma TVs eventhough they are cheaper.

In LCD screens, you can find two types of backlighting, LED and Cold CFL. For this application, LEDs prove to be superior, as each LED behind the LCD screen can be turned on and off independently. Turning the LEDs off, allow the LCD display to create a much darker black than can be achieved in a CFL LCD, where the bulbs cannot be turned off.

I recommend you to go for a LED TV with full HD (1080i), with digital tuner which will be future proof and should give you years of trouble free service.
Well, will it be expensive?
Is consume more energy a problem?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rraod View Post
Plasma TV tends to burnout some pixels over a period of time...You might have noticed it on the road side big plasma displays... Also they consume more energy. You can forget Plasma TVs eventhough they are cheaper.

In LCD screens, you can find two types of backlighting, LED and Cold CFL. For this application, LEDs prove to be superior, as each LED behind the LCD screen can be turned on and off independently. Turning the LEDs off, allow the LCD display to create a much darker black than can be achieved in a CFL LCD, where the bulbs cannot be turned off.

I recommend you to go for a LED TV with full HD (1080i), with digital tuner which will be future proof and should give you years of trouble free service.
Only LED TV's with Local Dimming can do that, most LED TV's are Edge Lit, meaning LED strips along the sides.

LCD's can can have issues with pixels as well, either stuck or dead pixels.

have you checked what the average wattage is on the current crop of LED, LCD, and Plasma TV's?
this is the label on a 50" Panasonic Plasma
$21/year
I'll look for a label for a 55" or larger in a moment.

here is a 55" Plasma
$24/year

this is a toshiba 55" LCD
$53/year

and this is a Vizio LED
$20/year
I haven't check any of these...
So what you recommend? A Plasma is okay too?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2011   #25
rraod

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Yes LCD screens can also have dead pixels, due to defects during manufacturing process. The new screens are coming out with very few dead pixels. Also the dead pixels on a LCD happen due to abuse of the screen and not due to normal usage. I have seen LCD screens working for almost 10 years without any problems.

But plasma screens do develop defects with aging.

If you are tight on budget go for Plasma TV. The general opinion is that the life of plasma TV is less compared to LCD TVs.

LED TVs were initially expensive (as usual with any newly released items in market) but now the prices are falling. The quality of LCD and LED is same except that LED is brighter, consumes less energy, and latest in TV screen technology.

Consuming more energy is not a problem... In this age of green revolution people talk about conserving energy and not consuming more energy.

In earlier days of computing... the computer systems were without sleep, standby functions and even the monitors were continuously consuming energy.

The US EPA has imposed conditions on the system manufacturers to be compliant with the Green Star ratings so that the systems save energy when not in use. Now all the laptops and desktops have these energy saving features built in.

Similarly The latest TVs are coming with energy saving features and very soon all the TVs will have these features.

Few people saving energy is not going to affect anything. If everyone in the country becomes conscious about energy saving then it will be good for the country's economy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2011   #26
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Both will be a very good choice, and you should be happy with either.
But its really going to come down to what suits you & the enviroment it will be in.

Which is better is really more about personal preference than anything. Some like the brighter image a LED produces, some prefer the more natural image of Plasma.



Few things to consider:

1. Room Size & Vieweing Distance
You need to determine what size you need or want.
IF its under 46" theres no point even thinking Plasma. Go with a LCD/LED TV.
Over 50" then considering a Plasma is worthwhile.

2) Lighting Conditions
If the room you are in is very bright, with lots of sunlight, and this is when you watch TV the most, a LCD/LED might be your best best.
They are Brighter and tend to perform better in very bright enviroment.

If the room has controlled lighting, curtains you can pull, then Plasma will be a good option.


Plasma TVs also tend to reflect light more than a LCD/LED.
If for example, if theres a Window that light can shine through onto the TV, LCD/LED will hide the glare more.

This is because of how they are constructed. LCD/LEDs use a anti-glare Plexi-Glass type screen.
Plasma have a glass screen.

Thats not to say you can not view a Plasma in bright room. Im only saying that LCD/LED tend to be brighter, and do better in such an enviroment, especially if bright light hits them.

3) Color Accuracy
Plasma offer deeper blacks, & more natural richer colors. The image accuracy of a plasma is much better than any LCD/LED can produce.
So when it comes to image quality & accuracy, Plasma wins.
But .. See point 2
Plasma tend to have a more natural, cinematic, tone to them.

4. Energy & Wieght
Either can be wall mounted. But Plasma TVs are heavier. So something to consider if you want to wall mount.
Plasma do use a little more energy than a LCD/LED, so if energy use is a major concern, and you want to go green, LED/LCD wins hands down.
Plasma will also generate slightly more heat.



They both have thier advantages and disadvantages.
But either should last you a very long time, and should be about the same lifespan.

As far as all the other Plasma "problems" .. many of these are simply myths, and untrue.

-They do not require frequent servicing.

-They do not have shorter lifespans. They are 100,000+ hrs to the half life, and can last just as long as any other TV.

-Image Burn In is not a problem.

-They do NOT burn out pixels.
Quote from article:
Quote:
pixel failure is not only untrue but impossible. "A plasma television isn't like your laptop computer or any other liquid crystal display, in which pixels can fail,"
Link to article:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...-johnson_x.htm

This guy lays out the differences pretty well. Might be worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxg1Z...eature=related LCD vs Plasma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZbiDjznUzc Plasma Myths Debunked


So in short, the 3 main things to consider are:
1) Screen Size 2) Enviroment 3) Which technology looks the best to you personally
The rest is simply myth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2011   #27
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I have both a 60" Plasma and a 46" LCD.
I would say, go with a Plasma if you can. Its far superior Picture-wise.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's sad to see manufacturers moving away from Plasma displays. I have 2 LCD's and 1 Plasma and I prefer my Plasma hands down for picture quality. But better blacks, better color accuracy, no motion blur.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mual View Post
What you think of this Panasonic model?
TH-P50U30k?
Is a okay for Plasma?
Some salesmen told me that Plasma is going to be outdated, is is true?
Panasonic in general is pretty good. My LCD is a Panasonic.

I can't sat for sure about Panasonics Plasmas, no personal experience with them as I have a LG Plasma.
Panasonic plasmas are some of the best. That's what I own and I love it. When I was shopping around, at the time, the only superior brand to the Panasonic was the Pioneer Elite..which was about 2-3x the cost. And since that time, Pioneer has gotten out of the tv business so it's not an option now.


As far as heat output on a plasma...they can put off heat..as can LCD/LED. One key component is to have the TV properly calibrated. When TV's are set from the factory, or incorrectly, they are often in "torch-mode" to make them "pop". However, this is often nowhere close to accurate and generally leads to significantly more heat. Get it properly calibrated (either via something like the Digital video essentials disc, or a genuine ISF calibration) and your picture will be outstanding and the set will give off much less heat.

As far as energy usage, comparing my 50" plasma to my older LCD set, my plasma energy consumption costs me an extra $20 a year. Far worth it for the picture quality if you ask me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2011   #28
Mual

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rraod View Post
Yes LCD screens can also have dead pixels, due to defects during manufacturing process. The new screens are coming out with very few dead pixels. Also the dead pixels on a LCD happen due to abuse of the screen and not due to normal usage. I have seen LCD screens working for almost 10 years without any problems.

But plasma screens do develop defects with aging.

If you are tight on budget go for Plasma TV. The general opinion is that the life of plasma TV is less compared to LCD TVs.

LED TVs were initially expensive (as usual with any newly released items in market) but now the prices are falling. The quality of LCD and LED is same except that LED is brighter, consumes less energy, and latest in TV screen technology.

Consuming more energy is not a problem... In this age of green revolution people talk about conserving energy and not consuming more energy.

In earlier days of computing... the computer systems were without sleep, standby functions and even the monitors were continuously consuming energy.

The US EPA has imposed conditions on the system manufacturers to be compliant with the Green Star ratings so that the systems save energy when not in use. Now all the laptops and desktops have these energy saving features built in.

Similarly The latest TVs are coming with energy saving features and very soon all the TVs will have these features.

Few people saving energy is not going to affect anything. If everyone in the country becomes conscious about energy saving then it will be good for the country's economy.
Alright, I got what you mean now
Thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Both will be a very good choice, and you should be happy with either.
But its really going to come down to what suits you & the enviroment it will be in.

Which is better is really more about personal preference than anything. Some like the brighter image a LED produces, some prefer the more natural image of Plasma.



Few things to consider:

1. Room Size & Vieweing Distance
You need to determine what size you need or want.
IF its under 46" theres no point even thinking Plasma. Go with a LCD/LED TV.
Over 50" then considering a Plasma is worthwhile.

2) Lighting Conditions
If the room you are in is very bright, with lots of sunlight, and this is when you watch TV the most, a LCD/LED might be your best best.
They are Brighter and tend to perform better in very bright enviroment.

If the room has controlled lighting, curtains you can pull, then Plasma will be a good option.


Plasma TVs also tend to reflect light more than a LCD/LED.
If for example, if theres a Window that light can shine through onto the TV, LCD/LED will hide the glare more.

This is because of how they are constructed. LCD/LEDs use a anti-glare Plexi-Glass type screen.
Plasma have a glass screen.

Thats not to say you can not view a Plasma in bright room. Im only saying that LCD/LED tend to be brighter, and do better in such an enviroment, especially if bright light hits them.

3) Color Accuracy
Plasma offer deeper blacks, & more natural richer colors. The image accuracy of a plasma is much better than any LCD/LED can produce.
So when it comes to image quality & accuracy, Plasma wins.
But .. See point 2
Plasma tend to have a more natural, cinematic, tone to them.

4. Energy & Wieght
Either can be wall mounted. But Plasma TVs are heavier. So something to consider if you want to wall mount.
Plasma do use a little more energy than a LCD/LED, so if energy use is a major concern, and you want to go green, LED/LCD wins hands down.
Plasma will also generate slightly more heat.



They both have thier advantages and disadvantages.
But either should last you a very long time, and should be about the same lifespan.

As far as all the other Plasma "problems" .. many of these are simply myths, and untrue.

-They do not require frequent servicing.

-They do not have shorter lifespans. They are 100,000+ hrs to the half life, and can last just as long as any other TV.

-Image Burn In is not a problem.

-They do NOT burn out pixels.
Quote from article:
Quote:
pixel failure is not only untrue but impossible. "A plasma television isn't like your laptop computer or any other liquid crystal display, in which pixels can fail,"
Link to article:
USATODAY.com - Debunking myths about plasma television burnout

This guy lays out the differences pretty well. Might be worth a look.
Plasma or LCD? - YouTube LCD vs Plasma
Plasma "myths" Debunked - YouTube Plasma Myths Debunked


So in short, the 3 main things to consider are:
1) Screen Size 2) Enviroment 3) Which technology looks the best to you personally
The rest is simply myth.
Room Size and Vieweing Distance is not a problem for me.
I usually watch TV without light in the afternoon, but in the night I will switch on the light. Well, is quite bright when I switch on the light because I replace the bulb with different ones...
Color Accuracy and Energy and Weight is not a problem for me too
Thanks for the info, I like the model if tge TV that I asked


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I have both a 60" Plasma and a 46" LCD.
I would say, go with a Plasma if you can. Its far superior Picture-wise.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's sad to see manufacturers moving away from Plasma displays. I have 2 LCD's and 1 Plasma and I prefer my Plasma hands down for picture quality. But better blacks, better color accuracy, no motion blur.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mual View Post
What you think of this Panasonic model?
TH-P50U30k?
Is a okay for Plasma?
Some salesmen told me that Plasma is going to be outdated, is is true?
Panasonic in general is pretty good. My LCD is a Panasonic.

I can't sat for sure about Panasonics Plasmas, no personal experience with them as I have a LG Plasma.
Panasonic plasmas are some of the best. That's what I own and I love it. When I was shopping around, at the time, the only superior brand to the Panasonic was the Pioneer Elite..which was about 2-3x the cost. And since that time, Pioneer has gotten out of the tv business so it's not an option now.


As far as heat output on a plasma...they can put off heat..as can LCD/LED. One key component is to have the TV properly calibrated. When TV's are set from the factory, or incorrectly, they are often in "torch-mode" to make them "pop". However, this is often nowhere close to accurate and generally leads to significantly more heat. Get it properly calibrated (either via something like the Digital video essentials disc, or a genuine ISF calibration) and your picture will be outstanding and the set will give off much less heat.

As far as energy usage, comparing my 50" plasma to my older LCD set, my plasma energy consumption costs me an extra $20 a year. Far worth it for the picture quality if you ask me.
Got it


I think I will get a Plasma to replace my old TV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2011   #29
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

You won't be disappointed with a Plasma.
I've had my Panasonic for 2 years and love it. I just wish it was larger. I went with a 42" for $1000 since that is all I could afford to spend on a TV at the time.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2011   #30
Mual

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
You won't be disappointed with a Plasma.
I've had my Panasonic for 2 years and love it. I just wish it was larger. I went with a 42" for $1000 since that is all I could afford to spend on a TV at the time.



Wow, not bad mate.
Thanks for showing me yout Plasma
So the image quality is base on the movie quality?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
LED or Plasma TV
My partners plasma TV is on it's last legs an she has been looking at another plasma and me I not impressed with either the performance or longevity of plasma TV screens. So I would like to get a few comments on which we should buy keeping in mind I am an LCD and LED fan and that I feel the...
Chillout Room
Rear Projection vs LCD vs Plasma
Read more at: Rear Projection vs LCD vs Plasma | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews
Chillout Room
Plasma EDTV + HD5570 Need help.
Hi, I am very confused I have a plasma EDTV LG model 32pc5rv ( no money for upgrades, right now) and I bought the HD5570 fOr my HTPC with windows 7 x64 ultimate. the Native resolution from TV is 852x480, but it accepts 720p and 1080i signal Well, I plugged a HDMI cable from graphic card into...
Graphic Cards
Driver for LG 60PG70FR Plasma TV
Hi! I'm trying to connect my Core i7 DH67BLB PC to my LG 60PG70FR plasma tv. While I was installing Windows Ultimate x64 I did it using the HDMI1/DIV option on the TV but the moment I installed the graphic drivers for the motherboard I stoped getting the image on HDMI and can get it only on RGB/PC...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App