Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virgin Media to double the speed of customer broadband

12 Jan 2012   #11
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
It is good news and Virgin doesn't have a download limit but it does apply traffic management to reduce your speed if you exceed defined limits. Last time I looked a 10Mb line allows 3GB during the day and 1.5GB during the evening. No cap at night. The speed is reduced to 20% for 5 hours f you exceed this.

The reduction is to 25%,
The day period is 10am to 3pm
The evening is 3pm to 10pm
Hi there
This is EXACTLY the srt of problem I was mentioning


3GB is NOTHING these days if you want to start watching HD movies etc etc directly from the Internet -- which is easy to do with decent fast download speeds -- 3GB is about 60 mins of movie !!!!!

As I said before it's POINTLESS if they start capping or reducing speed -- as I mentioned before --you'll reach your monthly limit in say 2 days instead of 22.

This mega fast stuff only makes sense if they will provide you with essentially an unlimited service -- otherwise a bog standard 6GB is fine.

Cheers
jimbo

You misunderstand jimbo. The limits are for the period specified each day and they say they are going to double the limits along with the doubling of download speed. So I will have 6GB every day between 10am and 3pm and 3GB between 3pm and 10pm without any speed reduction. It should be enough for most purposes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2012   #12
Qdos

 

I'm not in a Virgin area, and I wouldn't wish to have them as an ISP based on all I hear about them.

Modems that nobody can program, less still understand, made by the cheapest Chinese plant production centre and that instructions have never been written for! Many Virgin customers I know personally are getting lower speeds on cable than I do over copper with ADSL2+... well, need I add more?!?

BT are rolling out FTTC gradually, and even many rural parts will benefit within 2/3 years. Just as an FYi, I'm not a BT customer or fanboi, I'm using another provider myself...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2012   #13
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

I get 10Gb, which is what I pay for, if the source site supports it. The router is a D-Link DIR-615 which has given me no problems at all. In the 18months I have had Virgin broadband it has only been down three times and then only for short periods.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2012   #14
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
It is good news and Virgin doesn't have a download limit but it does apply traffic management to reduce your speed if you exceed defined limits. Last time I looked a 10Mb line allows 3GB during the day and 1.5GB during the evening. No cap at night. The speed is reduced to 20% for 5 hours f you exceed this.

The reduction is to 25%,
The day period is 10am to 3pm
The evening is 3pm to 10pm
Hi there
This is EXACTLY the srt of problem I was mentioning


3GB is NOTHING these days if you want to start watching HD movies etc etc directly from the Internet -- which is easy to do with decent fast download speeds -- 3GB is about 60 mins of movie !!!!!

As I said before it's POINTLESS if they start capping or reducing speed -- as I mentioned before --you'll reach your monthly limit in say 2 days instead of 22.

This mega fast stuff only makes sense if they will provide you with essentially an unlimited service -- otherwise a bog standard 6GB is fine.

Cheers
jimbo

You misunderstand jimbo. The limits are for the period specified each day and they say they are going to double the limits along with the doubling of download speed. So I will have 6GB every day between 10am and 3pm and 3GB between 3pm and 10pm without any speed reduction. It should be enough for most purposes.
Hi there

I don't think so

Just try streaming an HD Movie or even watching 2 or 3 programs from Sky GO via the Internet LIVE -- You'll be surprised how quickly you reach 6GB -- Streaming Movies etc counts as Bandwidth download !!!!!

Once you start using HD quality video LIVE via the Internet you really need of the order of 20 - 30 GB a day -- min 600 GB a month.

A Live football match on Sky Go will eat up your allocation almost before the ref blows his whistle for half time !! - especially in HD mode.

6GB won't cut it in any shape or form !!!!

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2012   #15
Cookieman

Windows 7/Linux
 
 

Quote:
I'm not in a Virgin area, and I wouldn't wish to have them as an ISP based on all I hear about them.

Modems that nobody can program, less still understand, made by the cheapest Chinese plant production centre and that instructions have never been written for!
I have been with virgin a few years now and have had 3 routers from them during this time, all have been Netgear and have been without any restrictions and fully configurable, they come as made for retail.

If I remember correctly the traffic shaping depends on the package, the 50mb package has no restrictions. I regular download linux ISO's, sometimes 3 or more a night for different spins of a distro and my connection speed holds the same steady 50mbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2012   #16
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cookieman View Post
I have been with virgin a few years now and have had 3 routers from them during this time, all have been Netgear and have been without any restrictions and fully configurable, they come as made for retail.
There are huge numbers of Virgin subscribers with rubbish Thomson, or totally unbranded, modem-router equipment. Many of them were previously clients of Blue-yonder or one of the other providers which were taken over by Virgin.

Personally I cannot regard Netgear as seriously good equipment manufacturers, they've released so many bits of kit without decent, or even functional, firmware that most IT professionals shun them in favour of an alternative manufacturer (like Draytek, Mikrotics, D-Link, ZyXEL, Billion, etc).

Their own user forums attest to huge numbers of 100mbps clients being far from satisfied with their service or equipment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Virgin Media 50MB
hi all virgin media just upgraded my broadband to "UP TO 50MB" but I downloaded a file last night that was 182MB and it took 2 hours and 15 minutes is that right ???? seems like dial up to me, I know it say's "up to" but was this slow? in the extreme or am I wrong here ???
Network & Sharing
Only getting 24mb on my 60mb virgin broadband unless I'm in safe mode.
EDIT: It seems I was mistaken. I went on safe mode with networking on my computer and did speedtest with wireless and I still get only 20mbps. My USB network adapter SHOULD be capable of up to 300mbps, and the virgin broadband came with the Netgear 'Super Hub', which should do 60mbps. So why am...
Network & Sharing
Virgin Media has taken its 100Mbps united kingdom
Virgin Media has taken its 100Mbps service live now in four parts of the country(UK), the lucky areas are: Heckmondwike Farnborough Colchester Barry, South Wales The roll-out will continue across the Virgin Media cable network during 2011 with completion set for 2012, at which point...
News
Broadband Speed Checker going funny on Virgin Media?
I have been getting very bizzarre results for my download speed from a large number of test sites. Speedtest.net which is normally very good is also giving me some very strange results no matter what server I use. I am supposed to get 20Mb which I am getting but the results it gives me are 70Mb...
Network & Sharing
Virgin Media broadband drivers in Windows 7
I bought an Advent Roma 2001 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium on Saturday but when I tried to install the drivers for my Virgin Media broadband connection using the CD, I got a message saying that the OS was not recognised and I needed to upgrade to ME or XP. I phoned the Virgin Media helpline...
Network & Sharing
Virgin Media broadband drivers blocked
I acquired an Advent Roma 2001 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium but I can't install the drivers on the CD for my Virgin Media broadband connection because I get a message saying "This OS is not supported, you must update to ME or XP. The Virgin Media helpline led me to believe that it was the...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App