Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do you believe in aliens?

View Poll Results: Do you believe in aliens?
Yes 71 81.61%
No 16 18.39%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

07 Feb 2012   #91
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

LeeRiley,

Quote:
Everlong has a very strong point, I'm skeptical on what is/could be out there but I wouldn't go as far as saying WE are the only intelligent life living.
We aren't. We are just the only physical intelligent life.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #92
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
LeeRiley,

Quote:
Everlong has a very strong point, I'm skeptical on what is/could be out there but I wouldn't go as far as saying WE are the only intelligent life living.
We aren't. We are just the only physical intelligent life.
On Earth ? On The Sun's solar system ? On Milky-way galaxy ? On our Galactic (Milkyway, Andromeda, Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud) local cluster ?

Or on what scale ? Do we even know what is the all possible sets of scales ? Who can guarantee, and on what basis that there is not a planet beyond trillions of parsecs where all the possible conditions of development of life and evolution fulfills, and it happened many a years ago ? Or, just in a primitive stage ?

Moreover, in which degree of certainty we could speak that the condition of earth is the only feasible condition of development of intelligent being ?

A very little probability becomes a huge amount, based on how large the population is, and universe is infinite, in true sense .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #93
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
LeeRiley,

Quote:
Everlong has a very strong point, I'm skeptical on what is/could be out there but I wouldn't go as far as saying WE are the only intelligent life living.
We aren't. We are just the only physical intelligent life.
On Earth ? On The Sun's solar system ? On Milky-way galaxy ? On our Galactic (Milkyway, Andromeda, Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud) local cluster ?

Or on what scale ? Do we even know what is the all possible sets of scales ? Who can guarantee, and on what basis that there is not a planet beyond trillions of parsecs where all the possible conditions of development of life and evolution fulfills, and it happened many a years ago ? Or, just in a primitive stage ?

Moreover, in which degree of certainty we could speak that the condition of earth is the only feasible condition of development of intelligent being ?

A very little probability becomes a huge amount, based on how large the population is, and universe is infinite, in true sense .
OK you win.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2012   #94
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
OK you win.
Not me But Black Holes and baby Universes and Other Essays
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #95
LeeRiley

Windows 7
 
 

Arc, you sure know how to stun someone in their place huh? Well bloody said!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #96
Everlong

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Of course, my answer is obvious, but I can't explain why without violating forum rules. Even if I were to limit my explanations to logic, that would take much more time and space than is practical for this thread.

EDIT: It would be easier to go the reverse...most people who believe in aliens, do so with the logic that the vastness of the universe requires life on other planets just by citing the odds.
So I visit a remote mountain lake. I see it has fish in it. Am I to automatically assume this is the only mountain lake to have fish in it, and every other remote lake is to have none despite not visiting any other lake?

Or say I'm told that the ocean has fish in it, but I've never seen one. I go out to the ocean with a glass and scoop up water, but I don't catch any fish in my glass. Is my conclusion that because I didn't catch any in such a small sample of water, there isn't any?
I believe that what your logic is called is a red herring:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._G4Vg2ZOxcsQqQ
And can you explain where my error in logic is? I've used an analogy that's closer to home.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #97
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
You will never see an alien in your life. Besides Brink

I beg to differ with you sir!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #98
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
You will never see an alien in your life. Besides Brink

I beg to differ with you sir!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #99
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
This was a fun thread.
Now that the serious philisophical issues have gone unresolved they should be continued on a different thread if desired by others...
Well Hoppy I still stand by what I said and anyway we have proof they exist - you're riding one!
Topper is on vacation.
He left the UK last week. They had too much snow.
He was headed for a walk about down under.

So don't be surprised when he shows up knocking at your door wanting to check his email and log in to seven forums.

Hide the Guinness.
Cripes Hoppy I hope he wears that lippy again and I think he / she errr whatever could do with some decent eyeliner too mate - you cutting down on his errrr her oh blow it I'm all confused now. Toppie's allowance?

Why Guinness mate he' - no aint goin there again - will have to settle for coffee - don't drink (booze anymore)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #100
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
You will never see an alien in your life. Besides Brink

I beg to differ with you sir!!
Dang, should have known you'd come back to planet earth again, Tews! Its all those gorgeous blondes we have here huh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Are You Getting Aliens: Colonial Marines?
So I am a big Alien fan and was wondering if anyone else is excited about this game as I am. I am worried a little though. I was excited for Aliens vs. Predator that came out a few years ago and that wasn't as good as I thought / wanted it to be. I know Aliens: Colonial Marines has been in the...
Gaming
BBC blocks live linkup with aliens, scared they might curse
I promise I won't curse. :zip: Read more at source: BBC blocks live linkup with aliens, scared they might curse | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
Chillout Room
BSOD playing Aliens vs Predator 2010, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.
Hello, I started getting the APC_INDEX_MISMATCH error when playing AvP 2010. I can go on playing for several hours before this occurs, but occur it does. I have the latest drivers installed for all of my HW. I never got this error before playing any other game. My CPU is slightly overclocked,...
BSOD Help and Support
Cowboys and Aliens
Brink you ready to rumble? Three days to the Showdown! http://www.sevenforums.com/picture.php?pictureid=4381&albumid=711&dl=1307926467&thumb=1 Cowboys & Aliens Movie Directed by Jon Favreau - Official Movie Site - Trailers, Pictures, Games & More -...
Chillout Room
aliens vs predator 3 2010 directX 11 fix!!!
Hey everyone! Wanted to post this in a forum I love and hopefully it spreads! What I was receiving: Would crash to desktop after the video in DirectX 11 mode. No sound in any mode. Updated dx with the update redist on ms. Tried all possible fixes online, sound quality changes and all.
Gaming
NASA, SETI Prepare for the Arrival of Aliens
Even though it may sound like something that comes out of the science-fiction books, the NASA American space agency and the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) initiative, along with scientists, psychologists, ethicists, lawyers, representatives of the media and anthropologists, have...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App