Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free-Will or Determinism

View Poll Results: Is free will an illusion?
Will 6 37.50%
Determinism 2 12.50%
We can't conclude anything yet. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

11 Apr 2012   #11
James7679

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Influx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James7679 View Post
I'm going to have to go with free will. I know that I chose what I am going to do or not do.

As far as Physics go, well, speaking on an atomic level, you can't predict how everything will happen. So there are things that happen "randomly". A simple experiment; a tennis ball, a room with no ventilation and a release mechanism. Drop the ball 100 times, it will not go in the same direction, upon bouncing, every time. Things do just happen sometimes.

As far as humans and the way that we interact with one another, well, if we are going to say we don't have free will, how can there be any laws to punish those who do wrong? Is this going to be some kind of "scapegoat" eventually that everyone falls back on? This kind of thinking furthers my belief that mankind has become so weak, timid and frail, that they simply refuse to take responsibility for their actions.
1. Randomness does not suggest free-will. I never said it did. Randomness and free will are relative to the topic of conversation. For example, anything that can think, or make decisions for itself abide by the laws of free will. Every human or animal makes it's decision based on it's needs(first), abilities(second), and wants(third). A tree, however, grows towards light, because that's what it's programmed to do on a cellular level. A piece of lumber, falling off the back of a truck, while you are traveling down the highway, may or may not hit your vehicle based any number of variables. A bullet, fired from a sniper's rifle, may or may not hit exactly where it is intended, based, again, on any number of variables. "Thinking species" and Atomic Particles, do not adhere to the same set of rules. Period.
2. Laws punish humans so that they will avoid doing it [punishment] and to prevent them from doing it [prisonment]. Yes, and some people are stupid enough to continue to break the same laws over and over. Is that because they have no power in the matter? Or is it because their moral compass is defunct and therefor they continue to CHOSE to make the same decision based upon their "needs", "ability" and "wants".

We have actually no scientific proof that FreeWill does exist. Being aware of what your decisions does not suggest freewill. :/ I would agree with you, except that the basis of "Science" is THEORY. Science is an ever-changing world of guesses and hypothesis. Every decade brings new ideas and new beliefs. There are many beliefs in Science that are sound. But mostly, it's just a guessing game. Ask any real scientist, who doesn't have a bloated head, they will tell you the same.
In short, if you aren't going to accept responsibility for YOUR actions, who do you think should???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #12
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

In a sense, both 1 and 2 are correct. It's rather like the concept of fate or predestination, while a person may make a choice of alternatives, that choice could be easily predicted if viewed in hindsight, if one fully understood the mindset of the person at the time. Kind of like putting mice in a maze, it would be difficult to know before hand the exact path that the mice would take to find the exit, but you know that they eventually will, if they are normal and healthy mice. Some feeble mice might die in the maze, if very large or complex, Thus free will and predetermination go hand in hand. The walls of the maze of life for people are not visible, therefore not obvious, but they are just as solid and real. One should not confuse the concepts of free will and free choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #13
Influx

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James7679 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Influx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James7679 View Post
I'm going to have to go with free will. I know that I chose what I am going to do or not do.

As far as Physics go, well, speaking on an atomic level, you can't predict how everything will happen. So there are things that happen "randomly". A simple experiment; a tennis ball, a room with no ventilation and a release mechanism. Drop the ball 100 times, it will not go in the same direction, upon bouncing, every time. Things do just happen sometimes.

As far as humans and the way that we interact with one another, well, if we are going to say we don't have free will, how can there be any laws to punish those who do wrong? Is this going to be some kind of "scapegoat" eventually that everyone falls back on? This kind of thinking furthers my belief that mankind has become so weak, timid and frail, that they simply refuse to take responsibility for their actions.
1. Randomness does not suggest free-will. I never said it did. Randomness and free will are relative to the topic of conversation. For example, anything that can think, or make decisions for itself abide by the laws of free will. Every human or animal makes it's decision based on it's needs(first), abilities(second), and wants(third). A tree, however, grows towards light, because that's what it's programmed to do on a cellular level. A piece of lumber, falling off the back of a truck, while you are traveling down the highway, may or may not hit your vehicle based any number of variables. A bullet, fired from a sniper's rifle, may or may not hit exactly where it is intended, based, again, on any number of variables. "Thinking species" and Atomic Particles, do not adhere to the same set of rules. Period.
2. Laws punish humans so that they will avoid doing it [punishment] and to prevent them from doing it [prisonment]. Yes, and some people are stupid enough to continue to break the same laws over and over. Is that because they have no power in the matter? Or is it because their moral compass is defunct and therefor they continue to CHOSE to make the same decision based upon their "needs", "ability" and "wants".

We have actually no scientific proof that FreeWill does exist. Being aware of what your decisions does not suggest freewill. :/ I would agree with you, except that the basis of "Science" is THEORY. Science is an ever-changing world of guesses and hypothesis. Every decade brings new ideas and new beliefs. There are many beliefs in Science that are sound. But mostly, it's just a guessing game. Ask any real scientist, who doesn't have a bloated head, they will tell you the same.
In short, if you aren't going to accept responsibility for YOUR actions, who do you think should???

No one is responsible of our actions, theoretically. We do avoid evil through our moral knowledge. If we do evil, for example, a murderer, it is because of his biological personality and lack of education, therefore he should be taught and possibly be prohibited from freedom to avoid harm from the public. I do agree with you a lot. Most of science's knowledge, afaik, has been improvised and ever-changing. We do not even have the tools to predict human decisions. We should leave the problem, a problem, until we reach a definite level of certainty. I thought of it though, that determinism is clear in larger forms, this should be more intuitive, for example, you cannot feel love properly, when your hypothalamus is not working well. This just goes to say, our actions depend on physical things and what happens in the surroundings (or in our body) and it's unreasonable to consider that other things could happen in a given situation, environment, state of mind, unless if REAL randomness does exist. Well, infact there is no such thing as Random (theory), randomness is simply too much complexity. It's very difficult to conclude at this point and this is pretty counter-intuitive and absurd. I've conducted a poll at another forum, most would say Determinism is the only rational conclusion on our current knowledge, and Free Will is usually supported by religious beliefs. But since our current knowledge is in its very infancy, we should not make it a basis.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2012   #14
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

While I would never say that a person's physical condition doesn't have an influence on what a person thinks, feels and does, they are not a controlling factors. Many things have an influence on this, such as intelligence, moral foundation, environment, etc., but these are nothing more than components of the maze walls that I mentioned above. Sure, a person will tend to blame one or more of these "walls", instead of themselves, but a person that is well balanced takes these bounces in stride, and will not persist in bouncing off the same wall time after time. Some have defined insanity as the condition that exists when a person persist in making the same mistake repeatedly, without learning from their experience, and remains in the same dead end until they run out of strength and die.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #15
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
I think I'm going to have to go with "can't come to any conclusions yet." Or was that response pre-ordained by some higher power?
lol

Did I quote the above and go lol because It's already been determined or did I randomly decide to since nothing is pre-ordained?

Personally I believe there is an answer, but humans will never know it. Just add it to the list

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Influx View Post
Determinism is the only rational conclusion on our current knowledge, and Free Will is usually supported by religious beliefs.
Wouldn't determinism reinforce religious dogma rather than free will since at it's core, Determinism suggests that every thing is already pre-ordained.

And since generally human knowledge and the ability to grasp concepts beyond conception is limited in it's scope of understanding, the only way such complex machinations could possibly be constructed and explained is by the existence of a God?

That's the spin I'd use at any rate. Then again, these concepts work at many levels and thus, can be manipulated to suit the situation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #16
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

This is just too heavy - whats wrong with just working out whether Schrodinger's cat is alive or dead?

Quote:
There are many beliefs in Science that are sound.
And once more we confuse ourselves.....science is not based on belief. Belief requires faith, science requires theory tested by observation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #17
James7679

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Quote:
There are many beliefs in Science that are sound.
And once more we confuse ourselves.....science is not based on belief. Belief requires faith, science requires theory tested by observation.
lol, semantics. I used the wrong word there. So yeah, using that one portion of my quote, it is easy to take it out of context. Are you in the media?

This was the whole statement;

Quote:
I would agree with you, except that the basis of "Science" is THEORY. Science is an ever-changing world of guesses and hypothesis. Every decade brings new ideas and new beliefs. There are many beliefs in Science that are sound. But mostly, it's just a guessing game. Ask any real scientist, who doesn't have a bloated head, they will tell you the same.
Maybe I should have said, There are many beliefs in science that are backed by the appropriate testing, and are therefor sound.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #18
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Perfect James And no I'm not in the media, but I am a scientist by profession. I just have a thing about using those two words together. For example, here in Australia, our PM deflects arguments about climate change with these words: "I believe in the science of climate change". The thing people don't get, is if you believe in climate change, you don't need the scientific facts to justify your belief.

I just found a useful illustration of Schrodinger's thought experiment :

My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #19
Influx

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Perfect James And no I'm not in the media, but I am a scientist by profession. I just have a thing about using those two words together. For example, here in Australia, our PM deflects arguments about climate change with these words: "I believe in the science of climate change". The thing people don't get, is if you believe in climate change, you don't need the scientific facts to justify your belief.

I just found a useful illustration of Schrodinger's thought experiment :

The 50%-50% is only a human measurement. Chances only exist with the lack of information. If every movement, state of mind, atomic behavior, and all other,. will be recorded and calculated, then we would have 100% if we have the tools and knowledge on how to emulate such occurrence and predict the only outcome. Hence, determinism. I think we could not say a decision could have possibly been another, I do believe that freewill cannot be debunked since we cannot even exactly explain how could everything be as it is right now such that there is no basis, if it could have been different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #20
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 
I wanted to vote for free will ... but ...

I wanted to vote for free will. But I had to vote for determinism since my response was preordained. I must say it pisses me off. But there's nothing I can do about it!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is registering Avast! Free Antivirus free?
I downloaded Avast because it was free. It says that I have to register to Avast! Free Anti-virus. I thought this program was free? Or is registering for free?
System Security
Avast 7 free! AV + Comodo Free Firewall Conflicts
I have always used Avast and Comodo as my AV/Firewall combination. I find it to be very useful, and although Comodo provides many annoying popups, they are useful and informational (I would consider myself a competent computer user, though no expert). Recently, I just wanted to see how good my...
System Security
Need advice for free antivirus+free firewall combo
I was thinking of the free ZoneAlarm firewall+free Avast! Antivirus combination. What do you think? Any better choice? Thanks.
System Security
Free Win 7 with Product Key By Attend free launch event
Looking for free copy of Windows 7? Now is your chance to take home a copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional edition, complete with genuine valid product key to activate the operating system permanently. Microsoft is hosting many of The New Efficiency launch events for Windows 7, Windows Server...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App