Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Chat room

10 Oct 2009   #11
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
We have an obligation as GURUS' to protect idiots from themselves whenever possible...

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #12

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Per say Fellows, Why should a MOD REMOVE it. Is it not the POSTERS right to post what he feels is correct.
Seems he has the "right to post what he wants". ??
Did his post violate some RULE of the Forum? Then it should be REMOVED.
If it did not VIOLATE a RULE. it should be left as is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just my opinion.
A valid line of reasoning of course.

I'm not much of a disciplinarian personally, but in this instance I felt somewhat responsible because I'd asked the OP to paste the output of a particular command line. I didn't say "make sure your account name is actually your real name - first, middle, and last", nor did I suggest they should also be in their profile directory structure when they executed the command (thus making the username part of the prompt), nor did I tell them to screenshot the entire window, thus revealing the output, and the prompt, and their full name

But, as Tews pointed out, there's an obligation on me, as the one who supposedly has a little bit more experience than the OP, to protect them from themselves, especially when my instructions may have inadvertantly led them to do something slightly silly. His name was rather unique too - not exactly John Smith, as Antman pointed out.

I had a little look and it turns out there's an addendum to the rules which discourages or even prohibits the use of full real names:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...html#post23230

All combined, I felt it was best to flag the post and hence to let moderators ex3rcise their superior judgement. That's why they get the big bucks

If you think I was wrong, I'm totally open to considering a different viewpoint.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #13

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
...If you think I was wrong, I'm totally open to considering a different viewpoint.
You did the right thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Per say Fellows, Why should a MOD REMOVE it. Is it not the POSTERS right to post what he feels is correct.
Seems he has the "right to post what he wants". ??
Did his post violate some RULE of the Forum? Then it should be REMOVED.
If it did not VIOLATE a RULE. it should be left as is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just my opinion.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
A valid line of reasoning of course.

I'm not much of a disciplinarian personally, but in this instance I felt somewhat responsible because I'd asked the OP to paste the output of a particular command line. I didn't say "make sure your account name is actually your real name - first, middle, and last", nor did I suggest they should also be in their profile directory structure when they executed the command (thus making the username part of the prompt), nor did I tell them to screenshot the entire window, thus revealing the output, and the prompt, and their full name

But, as Tews pointed out, there's an obligation on me, as the one who supposedly has a little bit more experience than the OP, to protect them from themselves, especially when my instructions may have inadvertantly led them to do something slightly silly. His name was rather unique too - not exactly John Smith, as Antman pointed out.

I had a little look and it turns out there's an addendum to the rules which discourages or even prohibits the use of full real names:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...html#post23230

All combined, I felt it was best to flag the post and hence to let moderators ex3rcise their superior judgement. That's why they get the big bucks

If you think I was wrong, I'm totally open to considering a different viewpoint.
Snuffy has a valid point. As long as the poster follows the given guidelines, it should be up to him to decide if the post should stay or be deleted.

However, every rule has exceptions. As Tews said earlier, somebody has to protect some of these n00bs from themselves. First line of protection is of course admins and mods, but not too far behind comes the army of more advanced members.

That last said on my mind I think H2SO4 did absolutely the right thing by reporting the post, especially because he feels he's partially responsible.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #15
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
...If you think I was wrong, I'm totally open to considering a different viewpoint.
You did the right thing.

@H2SO4, you did nothing wrong, people are g00fy!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Maybe even more dangerous, the full phone number...

Kari

Edit: Phone number removed by Airbot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #17

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Maybe even more dangerous, the full phone number...

Kari

Edit: Phone number removed by Airbot.
I've noticed previously that our American cousins seem far more willing to hand out phone numbers willy-nilly. Perhaps the preponderance of unsolicited "cold" marketing calls ensures it makes no difference whether yet-another-pest latches on to your phone number
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Per say Fellows, Why should a MOD REMOVE it. Is it not the POSTERS right to post what he feels is correct.
Seems he has the "right to post what he wants". ??
Did his post violate some RULE of the Forum? Then it should be REMOVED.
If it did not VIOLATE a RULE. it should be left as is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just my opinion.
A valid line of reasoning of course.

I'm not much of a disciplinarian personally, but in this instance I felt somewhat responsible because I'd asked the OP to paste the output of a particular command line. I didn't say "make sure your account name is actually your real name - first, middle, and last", nor did I suggest they should also be in their profile directory structure when they executed the command (thus making the username part of the prompt), nor did I tell them to screenshot the entire window, thus revealing the output, and the prompt, and their full name

But, as Tews pointed out, there's an obligation on me, as the one who supposedly has a little bit more experience than the OP, to protect them from themselves, especially when my instructions may have inadvertantly led them to do something slightly silly. His name was rather unique too - not exactly John Smith, as Antman pointed out.

I had a little look and it turns out there's an addendum to the rules which discourages or even prohibits the use of full real names:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...html#post23230

All combined, I felt it was best to flag the post and hence to let moderators ex3rcise their superior judgement. That's why they get the big bucks

If you think I was wrong, I'm totally open to considering a different viewpoint.
You did the right thing, absolutely correct.

To me, this is basic personal security, when too much personal information is given it should be removed by the most expedient method available. Then give the person a brief explanation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #19

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
...To me, this is basic personal security, when too much personal information is given it should be removed by the most expedient method available. Then give the person a brief explanation.
The referenced user is in PI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2009   #20
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

In a couple of weeks we might just (hope not) see more of this as new members come on board. It's not really that people are stupid or idiots it is just they sometime have the tendency not to use "COMMON SENSE."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Chat room
Thread Forum
How Do I Add Another SATA HDD ? Only got room for 2? Hardware & Devices
Save room on SSD Performance & Maintenance
Solved IT Meeting Room Name Chillout Room
available room on HD General Discussion
Computer Room Chillout Room
Java Applet not working in chat room website Software
I ran out of room! General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33