Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Linux Kernels 2.7.* and up support 4 Petabytes

14 Oct 2009   #1

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 
Linux Kernels 2.7.* and up support 4 Petabytes

Hi all
just noting whilst MS is mulling over a 128 bit version of the OS, the current Linux kernel (2.7.X) supports 4PB RAM 4 Petabytes -- not that I've even SEEN a system with that much. I haven't even seen a PC with 1 TB of RAM yet. Most of us still wonder what to do with > 4GB RAM.

What exactly would you run on it apart from a Big Brother app watching over every inhabitant on the planet from cradle to grave.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #2

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
I haven't even seen a PC with 1 TB of RAM yet. Most of us still wonder what to do with > 4GB RAM.
hehe. I see a couple of motherboards on the egg which support a maximum of 24GB... 1TB is what, 40 something times that? Or the server boards go up to 256GB I guess, but they're out of my price range

So yeah, I'd say we have a long way to go for 128-bit. Then again with 128-bit maybe it's not the amount of memory addresses we are really after.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #3

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
What exactly would you run on it apart from a Big Brother app watching over every inhabitant on the planet from cradle to grave.

Cheers
jimbo

Anything I want!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

I think the current top supercomputer is either 1 or 2 petas
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #5

win 7 build 7600.16385 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
Most of us still wonder what to do with > 4GB RAM.

.

Cheers
jimbo
just try to rip a blue ray movie to know why u need more than 4GB RAM or Quad core or i7 processor!!!

yeah its not for everyone!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

I need 4 petabytes of ram so my computer can become ridiculously fast with no effort on my part, and thus make me an incredibly impatient person in real life.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #7

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
I think the current top supercomputer is either 1 or 2 petas
That's peta FLOPs -- executions...

http://www.lanl.gov/asc/docs/rr_factsheet.pdf

Memory is only 98 Terabytes:
49 for AMD Opterons
49 for IBM Cells.

Since they're running Fedora Linux, maybe they're getting ready to do some serious computing...

Nice to see IBM and AMD "at work", with FORTRAN...

Los Alamos Lab: High-Performance Computing: Roadrunner

Quote:
Xenon in Xbox 360

The PPE was designed specifically for the Cell processor but during development, Microsoft approached IBM wanting a high performance processor core for its Xbox 360. IBM complied and made the tri-core Xenon processor, based on a slightly modified version of the PPE.[30][31]
Cell (microprocessor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opteron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
just noting whilst MS is mulling over a 128 bit version of the OS, the current Linux kernel (2.7.X) supports 4PB RAM 4 Petabytes -- not that I've even SEEN a system with that much. I haven't even seen a PC with 1 TB of RAM yet. Most of us still wonder what to do with > 4GB RAM.

What exactly would you run on it apart from a Big Brother app watching over every inhabitant on the planet from cradle to grave.

Cheers
jimbo
Well, to be honest, any 64-bit OS can theoretically address 16 etabytes (1 etabyte = 1000 petabytes).

There is just no reason for Win 7 to address that. I believe the limit for Server 2008 R2 is 2 TB ram, but again, I don't think motherboards are available that can handle that.

As the need becomes apparent, I'm sure it will be quite simple for MS to add higher RAM limits as necessary.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #9

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Well, to be honest, any 64-bit OS can theoretically address 16 etabytes (1 etabyte = 1000 petabytes).

There is just no reason for Win 7 to address that. I believe the limit for Server 2008 R2 is 2 TB ram, but again, I don't think motherboards are available that can handle that.

As the need becomes apparent, I'm sure it will be quite simple for MS to add higher RAM limits as necessary.
What's an "etabyte" ?

Exabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
PhreePhly
Always Learning
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #10

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Well, exabyte is not something I use often, and I didn't have the opportunity to look it up. I was just going off of memory on the theoretical RAM limit for 64-bit OS's. I knew it was greater than a petabyte, but I couldn't quite remember the prefix for the next 1000's unit above peta. Oh well, that's why I'm always learning.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Linux Kernels 2.7.* and up support 4 Petabytes
Thread Forum
UAC and Linux System Security
support for booting Linux on Windows 8 PCs delayed News
Intel will not support Linux on its Clover Trail processors News
W7 installer doesn't detect SATA after Linux, Linux works smoothly Installation & Setup
want to try unbuntu and linux or linux mint Installation & Setup
linux? Installation & Setup
Linux OS help Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33