Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hi everyone!

20 Jun 2013   #11
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
Hope things go well for you in college, Dom...
Thank you very much...!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
I was considering an SSD at first, but to be honest I really only want a top performer drive (~500mbps R/W) like a Crucial M4.
Don't get fooled by the R/W speeds. For the OS they are relatively irrelevant. The OS performance stems from the fast access time. The OS processes mainly 4K blocks and for those these 'fantastic' R/W speeds do not apply anyhow.

I use 7 SSDs ranging from a 2008 first gen Intel, a 2008 model OCZ to their latest Vector model and anything in between (including one M4). The OS performance on any one of those is nearly the same within a small margin. The main difference is betwwen those that have TRIM and those that don't have TRIM or where the OS does not support it (like all pre-Windows 7 systems).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #13
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
I was considering an SSD at first, but to be honest I really only want a top performer drive (~500mbps R/W) like a Crucial M4.
Don't get fooled by the R/W speeds. For the OS they are relatively irrelevant. The OS performance stems from the fast access time. The OS processes mainly 4K blocks and for those these 'fantastic' R/W speeds do not apply anyhow.

I use 7 SSDs ranging from a 2008 first gen Intel, a 2008 model OCZ to their latest Vector model and anything in between (including one M4). The OS performance on any one of those is nearly the same within a small margin. The main difference is betwwen those that have TRIM and those that don't have TRIM or where the OS does not support it (like all pre-Windows 7 systems).
So I can just go for a cheap, trusted brand SSD and it will still perform well? And I may be interested in recording gameplay. I've heard you need a very good SSD for recording 1080p@30 fps.
Thanks for all the advice so far
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jun 2013   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
So I can just go for a cheap, trusted brand SSD and it will still perform well?
Based on my experience the answer would be yes. Even lesser known makes are OK. I have e.g. one Mushkin SSD which is excellent.

I am not sure about your game recording problem because I know absolutely nothing about games. But I have done a lot of screen recordings of videos and never noticed any particular problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #15
koolkat77

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10 Home 64Bit
 
 

Welcome back Dom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #16
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koolkat77 View Post
Welcome back Dom
Thanks! I've already tried helping out in general discussion, felt good to be back haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #17
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Hi boohbah
That is really cheap. I never considered Novatech due to their awful website layout I have experienced before.
A 60GB SSD suits my needs, not to mention buying another later and putting it in RAID 0 dramatically increase R/W speeds.
I'll have a look round
no worries, that was just some examples to show its fairly cheap here too.
ps, if your doing screen recordings of games then give mirillis action a whirl, you can try it free
here

Action! - The world's No. 1 gameplay recorder and Windows desktop recorder!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #18
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Hi boohbah
That is really cheap. I never considered Novatech due to their awful website layout I have experienced before.
A 60GB SSD suits my needs, not to mention buying another later and putting it in RAID 0 dramatically increase R/W speeds.
I'll have a look round
no worries, that was just some examples to show its fairly cheap here too.
ps, if your doing screen recordings of games then give mirillis action a whirl, you can try it free
here

Action! - The world's No. 1 gameplay recorder and Windows desktop recorder!
I have used dxtory and it more or less only reduces about 5 fps, much like Mirillis Action. I have come across youtubers who used MA, who say its one of the best recorders for pc out there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #19
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

yeah it is, when ive done a full screen recording of the desktop and played it back fullscreen my son thought it was the destop. there is no difference in quality.

tip. when you get the trial of action they will send you offers at a reduced price.
it was about $19 recently
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #20
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Welcome back Dom it's nice to see you again, good luck with the build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App