Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My way or the highway.........

13 Dec 2013   #41
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
I don't have a Facebook account but I can see the benefits for those that do.
Hmm, what would these benefits be ?? Letting everybody know when you went to the mall, head a coffee, went to the loo, etc. must not be very revealing.
That's not what everyone uses it for. As a way to keep in touch with family or find old friends...

You could point out the bad in everything and belittle it, or see a useful purpose for those that find it useful.

Not trying to start an argument but just because it has no use for some doesn't make it useless.

Throwing everyone in the same group that uses it is a bit narrow minded.

Just pointing out that an open mind is not a bad thing, if people want to use Facebook, have at it.

Just because some are abusing it is no reason to belittle everyone.

Lots of grandma's out there keep in touch with family that way, it has a purpose.
The problems with Facebook (and similar sites but FB is the worst) are security and privacy issues. I personally feel the benefits are nowhere close to being worth the risks. Trying to keep up with FB's changes to ensure one's privacy is maintained is almost a fulltime job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #42
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Derek, I am serious. I don't want to belittle it. But I see what people around me (my wife uses it) post all day long. It is less than benign or trivial. Just babbeling away.

Now if I still had a grandmother (I am a grandfather myself) I would buy her a Chromebook and Skype with her.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #43
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Hmm, what would these benefits be ?? Letting everybody know when you went to the mall, head a coffee, went to the loo, etc. must not be very revealing.
That's not what everyone uses it for. As a way to keep in touch with family or find old friends...

You could point out the bad in everything and belittle it, or see a useful purpose for those that find it useful.

Not trying to start an argument but just because it has no use for some doesn't make it useless.

Throwing everyone in the same group that uses it is a bit narrow minded.

Just pointing out that an open mind is not a bad thing, if people want to use Facebook, have at it.

Just because some are abusing it is no reason to belittle everyone.

Lots of grandma's out there keep in touch with family that way, it has a purpose.
The problems with Facebook (and similar sites but FB is the worst) are security and privacy issues. I personally feel the benefits are nowhere close to being worth the risks. Trying to keep up with FB's changes to ensure one's privacy is maintained is almost a fulltime job.
Then it's not for you, I don't have one either but not for those reasons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2013   #44
Frank1

Desk Top with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Lap Top with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Derek--Of all the different things said on this thread. What you said pretty well sums it up. Very well said. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
~Frank~
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #45
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Derek, I am serious. I don't want to belittle it. But I see what people around me (my wife uses it) post all day long. It is less than benign or trivial. Just babbeling away.

Now if I still had a grandmother, I would buy her a Chromebook and Skype with her.
That's a good option too. I know what you mean Wolfgang, just pointing out that not everyone uses it that way.

I don't use Twitter either but it has the same bad reputation, it can be useful for news updates as well though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #46
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
Derek--Of all the different things said on this thread. What you said pretty well sums it up. Very well said. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
~Frank~
You're welcome Frank, I'm just playing devils advocate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #47
Frank1

Desk Top with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Lap Top with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
Derek--Of all the different things said on this thread. What you said pretty well sums it up. Very well said. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
~Frank~
You're welcome Frank, I'm just playing devils advocate.
You're doing a good job of it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #48
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
Derek--Of all the different things said on this thread. What you said pretty well sums it up. Very well said. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
~Frank~
You're welcome Frank, I'm just playing devils advocate.
Derek, you are doing a good job. Especially since you don't seem to be a hard core user of those facilities.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #49
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Excuse me while I skip to my loo.
Thank you Lady; I needed that.

The point I was try to put across was not whether one should or shouldn't have and use a cell phone. It's really none of my business.
I in my strange way was trying to get people thinking.
Can you still live your life and take care of your family with out being on the phone all the time. I will bet you can.
I think we all have seen addiction to cell phones.
I like computers and looking at my specs shows it. I have and use more computer than I need. Its a want not a need, hobby as much as a need.
My rule with my computers, phones, hobbies is simple.
I rule them they don't rule me.
I have spells where I read a lot of books. If I'm not careful I won't sleep for a couple days and nights reading. Thats not good as we all know.
That book isn't going any where; it will be there when I awake.
Now several time a day on the radio there are reminders not to text while driving because they are causing more wrecks than any other way. When the phone goes off the hell with every things else.
Then don't have time to watch the road, traffic, people, signs ect. There phone rang. That is letting the phone rule you. Thats not good as we all know.
I'm done preaching.
I hope I got you all thinking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2013   #50
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

An open mind is fertile ground...

@Layback, those are good points, self control would help, sadly it is not a common trait though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Looking For a Highway Traffic Report Gadget
Hello all you nice people: Does anyone know of a place that has the Oregon Department of Transportation's "tripcheck" in a reader gadget? John:D
Gadgets
Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway not working in Windows7
Hey everybody! Just today I decided to get rid of my Vista ultimate install and install Windows 7 instead. Everything has gone great so far, but then I decided to install and play BiA: Hell's Highway. Well this is where I started having problems. The game installed fine, but when I went to go...
Gaming
Bothers in Arms - Hells Highway - Confirmed working!
Hey everyone, I have been testing out some games on Windows 7 and most games do work without much work I must say. Unless it's just my 4GB corsairs that are keeping me out of trouble. Brothers in Arm's - Hell's Highway works well on this machine. Honestly the load times are even faster then...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App