Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Bulbageddon is upon us

02 Jan 2014   #21
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You can't win. And recovering my money with longer lifespan is a joke. The old bulbs cost pennies and lasted 10 years. Now I get a 5 year warrenty for a $30 or $40 bulb. I won't live long enough to break even.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #22
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I believe the worst part is the new bulbs do not last as long as advertised,
They just cost allot more.
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #23
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

That's what I'm concerned about.

While CFL are supposed to last longer, I don't mind to much if they go out early for only about $8 a 4 pack.

However, I would be ticked if a $15-$20 LED bulb did that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jan 2014   #24
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

These bulbs were very undependable and sensitive to power outages in the beginning,
I don't believe they've improved much in the sensitivity area,
U.S. power is not stable power surges are common place,
I sure the others if containing mercury will be on the chopping block soon as well,
Pure money grab by the gov picking winners,
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #25
z3r010

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
That's what I'm concerned about.

While CFL are supposed to last longer, I don't mind to much if they go out early for only about $8 a 4 pack.

However, I would be ticked if a $15-$20 LED bulb did that.
For me I'd rather spend the extra money and take the chance to get a nice LED light and not that nasty stuff CFL's emit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #26
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I'd rather have the LED as well, but I'm going to hold off for a bit to see how long these things are lasting in real world conditions before investing in them. Hopefully the prices will drop some more on them as well by then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #27
Frank1

Desk Top with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Lap Top with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I don't know for sure, but my opinion is that the environmentalists are over-alarmed about global-warming and all the other stuff. I don't dispute what they are saying about global warming, but I don't believe that most of it is man-made. But, again, it's only an opinion. Who knows for sure?????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #28
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
I don't know for sure, but my opinion is that the environmentalists are over-alarmed about global-warming and all the other stuff. I don't dispute what they are saying about global warming, but I don't believe that most of it is man-made. But, again, it's only an opinion. Who knows for sure?????
That is indeed the million dollar question. There has always been an up and down of temps during the earth's history. It is, however, a valid consideration for reducing energy consumption. Helps the balance of payment for the part that is fuelled by oil.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #29
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I'd rather have the LED as well, but I'm going to hold off for a bit to see how long these things are lasting in real world conditions before investing in them. Hopefully the prices will drop some more on them as well by then.
The only thing that might give you the best chance at reliability of the expensive bulbs,
Is to add a Whole house surge protector,
Then possibly the only issue you might face is defective bulbs,
But adding one of these might get a bit pricy as well because of electricians
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #30
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I'd rather have the LED as well, but I'm going to hold off for a bit to see how long these things are lasting in real world conditions before investing in them. Hopefully the prices will drop some more on them as well by then.
The only thing that might give you the best chance at reliability of the expensive bulbs,
Is to add a Whole house serge protector,
Then possibly the only issue you might face is defective bulbs,
But adding one of these might get a bit pricy as well because of electricians
No problem there. Already have a whole house surge protector. They're really not too expensive to have added if you don't have to have any other work done to the service panel. Especially if you consider the cost of replacing all electronics in your house.

I may get a couple for now just to see how they do though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App