Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Aspects of ads that irk you

09 Feb 2014   #1

 
 
Aspects of ads that irk you

Let's face it, most Ads on TV are annoying. Yet every now and then there is one that contains a complete logic fail that you can't help but pick on and leaves you vexed every time you see it.

There's currently an overall bland and banal cleaning product AD where the guy is initially standing next to a Top Fuel drag car painted like the product. He then starts blah blahing about how the product has "Turbo Power". The whole ad is about the wondrous "Turbo power". That's the point of the ad - "Turbo Power".

But the total logic fail and the especially irritating point for me is that the drag car clearly has a supercharger - not a turbo. In an ad about "Turbo Power" - either use a prop with an actual turbo in it, or don't use one at all. It may be a pedantic observation, but it irks me every time I see it.

Or,

Those funeral/life insurance ads that have "Couples or friends" in them when they are clearly neither actual couples or friends. They are wooden and scripted actors who're absolutely irritating to the point I find myself actually disagreeing with every line, every time. They say "I did this or I did that" and I say "No, you didn't. You're an actor. A bad one. And you are just lying; stop lying". Pointless of course, but it does make me feel better.

Who else has a particular ad/ads that just gets under their skin?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #2

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Ads with a high pitched male voice screaming at you.

Ads with rapid fire speech delivery, trying to jam as much as possible in the time allotted for the ad.

The same ad showing more than once in the same commercial break.

The same ad being shown during every commercial break during a movie.

Any ad with, "But wait!"

Ads with phony stereotypical announcers' voices, male and female.

Overly sincere sounding lawyer ads.

Ads promoting beating out the IRS.

30-60 minute infomercials that have, maybe, 5-10 minutes of content that gets repeated over and over.

Mass medical tort ads.

Lawyer ads promising to fight for you.

Lawyers promising to get you off for DUI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #3

Win7 Pro-64 Bit
 
 

Former sports people who who end up on telly as shills for the gambling industry, lawers and flogging hair replacement lotions or hair plugs (we seem to have a plethora of follicly challenged sportsmen in this country, must be the air) and sometimes breakfast cereal products that usually has less goodness than the box it comes in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #4

64-Bit W7 Ult_sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BrightBlessings View Post
Former sports people who who end up on telly as shills for the gambling industry, lawers and flogging hair replacement lotions or hair plugs (we seem to have a plethora of follicly challenged sportsmen in this country, must be the air) and sometimes breakfast cereal products that usually has less goodness than the box it comes in.


- ha, ha..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ads with a high pitched male voice screaming at you.

Ads with rapid fire speech delivery, trying to jam as much as possible in the time allotted for the ad.

The same ad showing more than once in the same commercial break.

The same ad being shown during every commercial break during a movie.

Any ad with, "But wait!"

Ads with phony stereotypical announcers' voices, male and female.

Overly sincere sounding lawyer ads.

Ads promoting beating out the IRS.

30-60 minute infomercials that have, maybe, 5-10 minutes of content that gets repeated over and over.

Mass medical tort ads.

Lawyer ads promising to fight for you.

Lawyers promising to get you off for DUI.


Some years ago I worked at a local radio station, mostly as a "babysitter" for the antique automated equipment, but I did have to record a 30 second weather spot (played on the hour and half-hour) and occasionally had to record an ad that needed to be on the air before the "voice talent" could record it.


The first time that I recorded an ad I used a normal tone of voice. Upon playback, it sounded horrible and lifeless. Recorded it again with the stereotypical "fake enthusiasm" and it sounded "better" in that it was what you expected to come out of your radio.


My favorite, though, was when the program director called one Saturday night at about 9pm and said "let's hear your Robin Leach (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous) impression. I gave him a really bad Robin Leach to which he said "good enough, pull the current cart (tape cartridge) for (name withheld) and re-record it with that voice." I thought that certainly the "voice talent" would re-do it later on but no, it ran every day for two weeks with my bad impression.


So, strangely enough, we expect the stereotypes and if we get something different, it just doesn't ring true.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #6

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Too many to really list,
They should all most likely go to animated because the actors and actresses are really bad
Not that the theme is worth anything but at least they could have some thing worth paying for air time ?
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #7

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Forgot to mention the Cox TV commercials with that obnoxious Paul character. If I had a choice, I would dump Cox in a heartbeat just because of those unbelievably annoying commercials. Same for the obsessive moron in the Toyota commercials.

There are a lot of actually good commercials out there that I enjoy. It's such a shame a few cheesy ones are there to spoil things. One bright spot: a frequently aired cheesy local furniture company that had an annoying, high pitched, rapid fire male announcer first got the volume reduced by FCC mandate, then, recently, they replaced the jerk with a much more pleasant sounding female voice and allowed her to speak at a normal speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #8

64-Bit W7 Ult_sp1
 
 


- animations that treat us as idiots, and portray us as such..


- blasted cartoon characters fixing cartoon boilers..


- unbelievably enthusiastic rubbish..!!


- absolute nonsense, kill the meerkat!!


- ads extolling the "virtues" of alcohol..

- sheesh, there's just so much idiocy..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lava King View Post
So, strangely enough, we expect the stereotypes and if we get something different, it just doesn't ring true.
This is true. We're conditioned to expect it. Even though an ad may be ridiculously annoying, it does give the product more validity.

And whilst there are some clever ads, it saddens me that such creative talent is literally wasted. I fully understand why advertising exists and all the machinations that go into it - I just wish that it didn't.



I also resent the fact that some of the most ludicrous taglines stick with you for a very long time afterwards. Taking up space in the brain that could be used for something else. Most of the time you've long forgotten the product/company, but that catch - that hook...

"Is your hair too tired to party?"

Through ads, my TV has asked some particularly asinine questions over the years, but that line is in my Top Ten of "beyond ludicrous". It's permanently etched upon my brain.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
- sheesh, there's just so much idiocy..
That there is. That there is...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #10

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lava King View Post
So, strangely enough, we expect the stereotypes and if we get something different, it just doesn't ring true.
This is true. We're conditioned to expect it. Even though an ad may be ridiculously annoying, it does give the product more validity...
I must be weird, then, because the quickest way to turn me off on a product is using stereotypical commercials. Something new and fresh, as long as it isn't overdone, is far more likely to favorably get my attention.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33