Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Adventures in Win7 & Dell Precision T7400

27 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7

Adventures in Win7 & Dell Precision T7400

Hi Guys,

I am working on upgrading my office Dell Precision T4700.
- I am doing a clean install
- machine has 4Gb of ram
- I am using Windows 7 64bit
- Machine has an SAS 6 SCSI controller and two 250GB drives which are joined into a 500GB virtual drive

I just tried the install for the first time, it seemed to see the drive. I formated the drive and installed.

It seemed to go well but then after first install, the screen remained blank. It stayed so long that I thought it had hung. I shut it down and tried to go into safe mode, where it told me that it could not complete setup in safe mode.
So I restarted again and left it on the blank screen for a while and after 15 minutes, a colorful windows logo showed up but no mouse and nothing else.

I have waited about 15 minutes now and it does not seem to change at all.

I suspect that I need the raid drivers. Let's see what's next...

stay tuned.

-Larry

My System SpecsSystem Spec

27 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7

Ok, progress. I let it sit for a while and hit the power button quickly. it then shut down as if it was doing a normal shut down. this hinted at me that I might not be seeing everything I should be.

I think I made the mistake of leaving both my monitors connected during install and it might have done the install on a monitor that the video card could not yet show me.

On a hunch, I switched the monitor connections and rebooted, and this time I saw windows load up. So either I got lucky after a few reboots, or it was doing things I could not see.

I can't turn on the second monitor yet, but am doing all windows updates to see if I can get the video loaded up properly. but at least I am seeing explorer now.

I press on...
27 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7

The sound looked like it was not working but I ran the sound troubleshoot wizard and it started working. not sure what that was about.

The NVidia Quadro NVS 290 is there as an optional update and I am installing it now..

So far no 3rd party drivers, just the Windows 7 install CD. pretty good.

27 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7

I think I can declare success.

Optional updates on NVidia driver fixed the second screen not showing issue. I have both screens working beautifully.

Ran The Windows Experience Index:
Processor: 7.5
Memory: 7.5
Graphics: 3.4 (Aero is on)
Gaming Graphics: 5.3
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Now onto installing all my programs and Outlook (which unfortunately will likely slow down the machine)

I'll check in again once I am all up and running.

So the big lesson is: Do not connect more than one monitor during Windows 7 install, you might not see what is going on...

Adventures in Win7 & Dell Precision T7400

Similar help and support threads for2: Adventures in Win7 & Dell Precision T7400
Thread Forum
Windows 7 on a Dell Precision 370? General Discussion
BSOD dell precision m6400 64bit BSOD Help and Support
Dell Precision M6400 BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Dell Mobile Precision M4500 setup questions Installation & Setup
Dell Precision 470 bios unzipping? Drivers
Dell Precision add processsor Hardware & Devices
windows 7 driver needed for dell precision 530 desktop Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd