Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer Nostalgia: Do you remember......

27 Apr 2014   #21
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

back in about 71-73 I was at school, playing with a prototype PC from Philips - loaded from a tape drive, it had almost no RAM, and only 200 bytes of addressable memory.
A couple of the guys still managed to get it to play tic-tac-toe I can't find any pictures of the beast..
It required a professional-grade monitor (Black&white!) to display the I/O - and the 'Keyboard' was a set of capacitance switches (so no moving parts).
IIRC, Philips manufactured about 10 of these - my school had 2(!), one of which was rumoured to be kept under the head of the Maths department's bed!
They were apparently 'worth' about £5000 each in those days.
The school also had access to Oxford Uni's mainframe for an hour or so a week - which required booking well in advance.



When I started work at ICI Slough, I started using teletype terminals for accessing the company's mainframe...



From that I gravitated via the IBM PCXT, COmmodore PET, C64, and Amstrads, to all sorts of IBM-compatible hardware at work, but the first machine I actually owned was a Dragon 64...
Dragon 32/64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (my wife had a Commodore 64)

My first IBM-compatible was a Gateway2000 machine - based on the infamous P75 chip with the floating-point error. When I claimed a swap of the chip, Intel demanded that I put a £400 deposit with them until my chip arrived back at their shop (I'd elected to do the swap myself).
That got replaced by another Gateway2k machine based on a PII/300 - which I had until 2007 after maxing out the RAM (384MB, and adding three or four extra HD's)


Aaah - the memories!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #22
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
The first one we played with was an Amstrad, I think it was the 464, it had a cassette player for the games, the kids loved Jet Set Willy and another couple of them, one to do with a school and one to do with in a mine, can't remember the name.
Probably Manic Miner and School Daze. Loved those games! I played them on the Spectrum 48k

Manic Miner:



School Daze:

Yes it was Manic Miner but the school one doesn't look familiar, I think the one the kids played was something like Schools Out.

We also tried out the Sinclair ZX but that belonged to someone else so didn't have it for long, I'm sure as well we had some sort of Atari because I remember them playing ping pong on the television.

The first actual PC we had was a Hewlet Packard running the first edition of Windows 98 with Lotus 123 installed. That machine introduced me to the joys of computers, had to reinstall the thing twice in the first six months of having it, for some reason after that, even though the kids used computers in school and hubby had used one during his work, I was the one who had to sort everyone's problems out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #23
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of these slipsticks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Apr 2014   #24
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

This is my oldest computer (given to me by a friend whos daughter went to university at the same time of having the PC delivered) its in mint condition made in 2003 - Compaq, presario s5200uk, AMD Athlon XP 2.60 GHz, 30GB HDD, runs perfect and hardly used and Im keeping it


Attached Thumbnails
Computer Nostalgia: Do you remember......-001002.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #25
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 



Webtv Plus

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #26
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

In 1984 I was the 2nd shift manager of a 3 shift dept at IBM and the 3 mgrs shared 1 PC. The 1st shift mgr was the only one that actually used the PC (I had no use for it) and had gotten this new software called Lotus 1-2-3. Only problem was that our PC had only 128K of memory and the new software required 256K. He was going to order the extra memory, then call in a tech to install it. I told him that I would be happy to do it, I had 10+ years experience as a tech but had never worked on a PC. He told me no, the PC was very expensive and he didn't want me to touch it because I might screw it up. I waited until he left work, went over to the parts dept and got the necessary RAM chips, opened the PC and installed them. Then came the hard part, figuring out how to set the switches on the motherboard that told the system how much memory was installed. Got it working and our PC now had a whopping 256K of RAM. Why does the forum software strip out the new paragraph that is supposed to start here? Shortly after that, I started to teach myself how to use the PC and within a short time became very proficient with Lotus 1-2-3 to the point where others were coming to me for help. From there I took a C programming class and within 3 years gave up my management position to take a job as a programmer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #27
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Anyone remember Multiplan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #28
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of these slipsticks.

Those are very familiar. We used them daily. I still have a couple and even remember how to use them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #29
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
In 1984 I was the 2nd shift manager of a 3 shift dept at IBM and the 3 mgrs shared 1 PC. The 1st shift mgr was the only one that actually used the PC (I had no use for it) and had gotten this new software called Lotus 1-2-3. Only problem was that our PC had only 128K of memory and the new software required 256K. He was going to order the extra memory, then call in a tech to install it. I told him that I would be happy to do it, I had 10+ years experience as a tech but had never worked on a PC. He told me no, the PC was very expensive and he didn't want me to touch it because I might screw it up. I waited until he left work, went over to the parts dept and got the necessary RAM chips, opened the PC and installed them. Then came the hard part, figuring out how to set the switches on the motherboard that told the system how much memory was installed. Got it working and our PC now had a whopping 256K of RAM.


Why does the forum software strip out the new paragraph that is supposed to start here? Shortly after that, I started to teach myself how to use the PC and within a short time became very proficient with Lotus 1-2-3 to the point where others were coming to me for help. From there I took a C programming class and within 3 years gave up my management position to take a job as a programmer.
Try enter?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #30
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
In 1984 I was the 2nd shift manager of a 3 shift dept at IBM and the 3 mgrs shared 1 PC. The 1st shift mgr was the only one that actually used the PC (I had no use for it) and had gotten this new software called Lotus 1-2-3. Only problem was that our PC had only 128K of memory and the new software required 256K. He was going to order the extra memory, then call in a tech to install it. I told him that I would be happy to do it, I had 10+ years experience as a tech but had never worked on a PC. He told me no, the PC was very expensive and he didn't want me to touch it because I might screw it up. I waited until he left work, went over to the parts dept and got the necessary RAM chips, opened the PC and installed them. Then came the hard part, figuring out how to set the switches on the motherboard that told the system how much memory was installed. Got it working and our PC now had a whopping 256K of RAM.


Why does the forum software strip out the new paragraph that is supposed to start here? Shortly after that, I started to teach myself how to use the PC and within a short time became very proficient with Lotus 1-2-3 to the point where others were coming to me for help. From there I took a C programming class and within 3 years gave up my management position to take a job as a programmer.
Try enter?
Tried it here.
ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
ENTER

Interesting. I am posting this from my desktop running Win 7. The previous post was done on my laptop running Win 8.1.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cant Remember Password To boot Computer.
PC just Boots to password,Operating System,wont boot up:cry: Any solutions,will be,most appreciated.
General Discussion
Computer doesnt remember settings
I tried everything but nothing works. I restore registry from registry cleaner, made system restore, and restore files that STOPzilla said they are viruses. I think its STOPzilla fault, that nothing works. Here is a problem, every time I restart computer I have to customize icons...
Performance & Maintenance
nostalgia screen saver
a screen saver from the days I worked in an office ( win NT i think ) trippin out at work:party:
Chillout Room
Nostalgia
What is the oldest PC you have ever used / owned? For me it was a Zenith Data Systems PC from 1987. It runs Windows 1.0 on top of DOS and takes a few minutes to calculate 1 + 1. If I tried to divide by 0 I'd probably get a GSoD because it has a green screen. Not sure on the specs, but I bet it...
Chillout Room
Windows nostalgia theme pack
Are you a long time windows user , would you like to go back in time? with a trip down memory lane; then here’s a theme which will take you back. Microsoft Windows Logo History Wallpapers | www.m3Rlin.org | Windows, Linux, Mac, Computers, Technology, Cell Phones, Programming and more...
Themes and Styles


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App