Only this week my 14 year old Vuego flatbed scanner finally died.
At first I thought it was the rubber drive belt (3mm wide) that had set hard. Searched the net for "how to breath new life into a butyl rubber belt". After a lot of boiling plus a week soaking in glycerine ... discovered the gear-box had seized anyway.
Nothing like a good tinkering. My adult kids just chuck stuff away and I am into their trash to see what can be done. I still have a 20 year old Sharp microwave squirreled away for the day I can replace the blown lamp. The turntable motor is still available as a part !!
At one stage in my past one hospital complained about the cost of bed repairs. The resident handyman was shelling out $700+ for new actuator controls. I discovered the circuit boards were available for $2.30 each ... and so started a new string to my bow with 5 other hospitals.
I totally agree too much stuff ends up in landfill. Just have a look at Xmas toys catalogs, all destined to landfill.
Oh for the "olden days" of telegrams, no TV, only radio, public phone boxes, fans (no air-conditioners), push lawn mowers ... just makes me tired thinking about it . . .