Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Old PC Questions

17 Aug 2014   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 
Old PC Questions

I have an old Dell Dimension 2100 and I want to throw in a GPU so it will browse the internet a bit better, as well as actually scale up to my monitors native resolution. It can't handle 1680x1050. It has the old Intel 810 series chipset. This system has a 145 watt PSU, 1.1ghz Celeron, and 256mb of RAM. I know it isn't a gaming machine and won't be able to do stuff like that well. I am just wondering if there is any GPU that can scale up to my monitor's native resolution and can run without a PSU replacement? Or, could you suggest a way to force the integrated GPU to scale up to this resolution? Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2014   #2

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Dell sold this model as an "entry level" PC. 512MB Memory max, PIII, etc.

It does have a PCI bus and a low power PCI video card MAY work. The manual states you have to remove the power supply to install any PCI cards.
Product Support | Dell US


From the manual:
Expansion Bus
Bus types PCI (version 2.2)
Bus speed PCI: 33 MHz
PCI connectors supports four three-quarter–length cards
PCI connector size 120 pins
PCI connector data width
(maximum)

32 bits

Newegg lists some PCI cards, I suspect you need a "low Profile" type, along with a low power card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2014   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

What OS are you actually running on this machine. Given the very reduced hardware I would run Linux Mint Mate 17. It will be as fast as such a small system can be and maybe it even resolves your screen resolution problem.

Here are some tutorials on how to setup Mint Mate. Be aware that the initial installation of Mint is only a bootstrap installation. Double click on the installation CD icon on that bootstrap screen to complete the installation.

Here is a video of Mint Mate that I made. It shows you how a setup system looks like. This happens to be a version that runs from a stick but a native installation would be exactly the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Aug 2014   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
What OS are you actually running on this machine. Given the very reduced hardware I would run Linux Mint Mate 17. It will be as fast as such a small system can be and maybe it even resolves your screen resolution problem.

Here are some tutorials on how to setup Mint Mate. Be aware that the initial installation of Mint is only a bootstrap installation. Double click on the installation CD icon on that bootstrap screen to complete the installation.

Here is a video of Mint Mate that I made. It shows you how a setup system looks like. This happens to be a version that runs from a stick but a native installation would be exactly the same.
I'm running Windows XP, 2000, and ME in a triple boot. Will Mint Mate run on 256mb of ram adequately?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2014   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Mint Mate will run much better in 256MB than any Windows. Even in my 2GB system it uses only 361MB.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2014   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Mint Mate will run much better in 256MB than any Windows. Even in my 2GB system it uses only 361MB.
Ok. I may give that a try. Thanks! Does anybody have any suggestions of a gpu that can scale up to my display well and works on a 145 watt psu?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I don't think you will have any luck finding a GPU for 145 Watts. But replacing a PSU is not a big deal. Have a look:


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I don't think you will have any luck finding a GPU for 145 Watts. But replacing a PSU is not a big deal. Have a look:
I have done a couple of PSU swaps before. I don't want to buy another psu for this system though. Plus, Dell may have used proprietary connectors, but I am not sure about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Old PC Questions
Thread Forum
More new PC questions. Hardware & Devices
I have two questions Network & Sharing
Some questions ? :/ General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33