Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 - Strengths and weaknesses

02 Nov 2009   #11
AvatarOfTheShip

Windows 7 Ult x64
 
 

Linux in general lacked an NTFS filesystem driver for a long time. Then they had read but not write access. Now they're all-singing all-dancing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #12
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Interesting you say that WHS. I like having a dual boot. It's a great help if you screw up in one OS you can seek advice on the other.

So I was thinking of dumping Vista HP x64 and trying Ubuntu 9.10. This is partly so I can install Vista on my old machine and sell it but also because I sort of felt Windows 7 was better and superseded it.
You obviously have a different opinion. Care to elaborate?
Also. Would a triple boot be easy?

Cheers, John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #13
Jordus

Windows Vista Business / Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there

I thought he DID work for Gartner.

At least you could have included the Windows CONS

1) No decent scripting or Shell (like Bourne or C-shell in Linux)
2) No CRONTAB (for automatic launching of jobs / scripts)
3) You can't run Windows with a disconnected terminal -- you can start a linux server and then unplug the monitor -- your server will just keep running -- if you need to enter a command either do it remotely or re-plug in the monitor again on the local machine.
4) No Choice of GUI (or NONE if you don't want to start the X-server in Linux).

jimbo

1. Im pretty sure PowerShell is revered for being so robust and revolutional in the world of Windows.
2. Funny, I've been using scheduled tasks for years to launch jobs and scripts.
3. You can absolutely unplug a monitor and keep using Windows. Have you ever heard of remote desktop or WinRM? Or the fact that PowerShell 2.0 allows remote management?
4. You do have a choice in GUI/No GUI if you are talking servers, because Server Core doesnt have a GUI. Why the heck would anyone with a CLIENT OS not want a GUI?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2009   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Interesting you say that WHS. I like having a dual boot. It's a great help if you screw up in one OS you can seek advice on the other.

So I was thinking of dumping Vista HP x64 and trying Ubuntu 9.10. This is partly so I can install Vista on my old machine and sell it but also because I sort of felt Windows 7 was better and superseded it.
You obviously have a different opinion. Care to elaborate?
Also. Would a triple boot be easy?

Cheers, John

If you have only one system, dual boot may make sense. But I have 4 PC's, so I can always walk to the next one. Besides, I never had a system go down. Dual or triple boots are possible, but very finagly. You always get a mess with the boot records and if you have Ubuntu in the middle you have to deal with Grub - not my thing. When I want to delete a system in virtual Box, I delete 2 folders in the host system - done in 5 seconds. Deleting Ubuntu in a triple boot is real fun, believe me.
As far as Vista and Win7 go, I consider them very similar. The main advantage of WIN7 is the smaller footprint and more speed. But that can be offset with more muscular hardware for Vista. WIN7 will be a fine system, no doubt - in a year or two. I will be running one Win7, just to keep up-to-date. But for my daily work I will keep Vista for the time being.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #15
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AvatarOfTheShip View Post
Linux in general lacked an NTFS filesystem driver for a long time. Then they had read but not write access. Now they're all-singing all-dancing
Certain live distros like ubuntu, Knoppix, and Puppy Linux have been able to access and recover files from Fat16, 32 and NTFS volumes when booted live for years now. There's a few articles on how to do that while booted live from a cd.

In fact a usb flash drives were set aside here with distros installed to bail someone out if the occasion arises on any XP, Vista, or now 7 system. The latest 9.10 x86 will go right on the Virtual Box while it takes the Portable Virtual Box to see the 64bit Linux or even one of the RCs installed and run on a virtual drive there.

But taking everything into consideration the main OS still ends up being 7!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #16
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
IWould a triple boot be easy?
Yes. I'm currently multi-booting 5 OS'es, with ubuntu installed last.

If you opt to install Ubuntu on it's own partition (as opposed to using the WUBI installer) the Grub2 boot loader automatically adds the Windows 7 boot loader to the list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #17
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I run Ubuntu and Win7 in virtual partitions (virtual Box) on a Vista host. I think that is the ultimate because I can switch between those systems in no time. Have to admit that I still have trouble with Ubuntu because for me it is not very user friendly. I installed it out of curiousity but don't intend to use it for any serious work. For me, Vista is the ultimate - but you need a lot of muscle in your system.
Glad to hear someone still thinks highly of Vista! The first thing found with the previous version was stability over what it followed.

I was able to convince someone running the 64bit Ultimate edition to give the 64bit RC a try. He ended up hosting a 7 launch party! He swore by Vista until running the RC and now the retail 7.

Ubuntu, Puppy, Knoppix, and a few of the small distros are usually the easiest to run. You simply have to get used to a different OS platform while the desktops have been made to look closer to Windows.

The one thing about the "cons" seen with Linux not mentioned in the article was downloading a distro in rar files! This is where you install and run the distro off of the drive not burn to disk or write to a flash drive. The same can also be said for the Linux drive tool GParted where you can either download that in iso or zip files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #18
TechieJustin

Leopard (not Snow), Vista Ultimate 64, XP 64
 
 

So burning an ISO is a con?

I guess that's why Windows will never have native support for burning ISO's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #19
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
So burning an ISO is a con?

I guess that's why Windows will never have native support for burning ISO's.
Windows 7 has native support for burning ISO's.

Burn Disc Image - ISO or IMG file
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #20
TechieJustin

Leopard (not Snow), Vista Ultimate 64, XP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
So burning an ISO is a con?

I guess that's why Windows will never have native support for burning ISO's.
Windows 7 has native support for burning ISO's.
Nevermind then. Learn something new every day.

I also learned IRA contributions are an above the line deduction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can not delete Ubuntu partition after uninstalling Ubuntu
I insalled Ubuntu along side windows 7 , and then i removed it using the command prompt by typing the two commands ( i used windwos 7 DVD installtion disk) bootrec /fixboot bootrec fixmbr and now when my computer starts it boots to windows 7...but when i try to delete the partition that...
Backup and Restore
Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot!
I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my HP Mini 110-1116NR, then deleted the partitions that had Ubuntu on them, not knowing that Ubuntu comes with GRUB2, and sets itself as the default boot for that system. Now that GRUB2 is not installed, since it was on my only HDD, it looks for the GRUB2...
Installation & Setup
dual boot w/ Ubuntu, need to uninstall Ubuntu
Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts? I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after. I shrunk my Windows 7...
Installation & Setup
Windows Seven or Ubuntu?
I currently have driver problems on my laptop in Vista. How is Seven beta for drivers because I am thinking of installing it. Or Ubuntu. What do you think?
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App