Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help with windows 8 clean install on retail pc.

05 Nov 2014   #111
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yea 8.1 would be more appropriate for Andrew's project
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2014   #112
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Pretty cool time to go to the Microsoft store and get 8.1
Congrats and good find Bill
Just thought of something Mike.

I wonder if you could use the ISO to update your 8.0 install.
You'd be a guinea pig for that process if you wanted to play the role.

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2014   #113
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Added a post over on EightForums:
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

-- or if the above link takes you to the wrong place.--

Post #360 in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

I think I've figured out how to compensate the links (I have a higher post view than the default and that affects the reference I get when I copy shortcut from a post). I remove the page count reference from the URL just before '.html'.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2014   #114
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Added a post over on EightForums:
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

-- or if the above link takes you to the wrong place.--

Post #360 in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

I think I've figured out how to compensate the links (I have a higher post view than the default and that affects the reference I get when I copy shortcut from a post). I remove the page count reference from the URL just before '.html'.
If you right click on the post number in the upper right of that post, you can "copy shortcut" and it will link right to that post in the thread.

EDIT: The first link works OK. It went to the tread and then jumped to the post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2014   #115
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
If you right click on the post number in the upper right of that post, you can "copy shortcut" and it will link right to that post in the thread.

EDIT: The first link works OK. It went to the tread and then jumped to the post.
Thanks for letting me know the links are ok. I'm always curious if I send people to the wrong post on the forums, so I try to remember to include the post # too.

Try a 'copy shortcut' on http://www.sevenforums.com/showthread.php?p=2929772
- this link uses the [post]2929772[/post] tags.

Note the page reference just before .html in the code box below that represents a 'copy shortcut' for me.
(mine is -3.html, yours will probably be -6.html). The -# is the page number.
Code:
http://www.sevenforums.com
/chillout-room
/350994-need-help-windows-8-clean-install-retail-pc-3.html#post2929772
This is what would be posted if I didn't 'adjust' what 'copy short' gives me. Does the link below take you to your post #114?
Need help with windows 8 clean install on retail pc.

It's because I have 'posts per page' set to 40 and the default is 20. It just makes it easier for me to navigate threads (less page turning) but I pay a price when referencing links. This was fixed a while back as evidenced by the permalink flyout ... except it's no longer a permalink. The mod to the forum must have been lost in maintenance.

It wasn't worth an admins time for me (one of the few non-conformists) to pursue the matter. It' like when you go to the doctor and say 'It hurts when I do this' ... and the doctor say 'My advice is - don't do that'

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2014   #116
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
If you right click on the post number in the upper right of that post, you can "copy shortcut" and it will link right to that post in the thread.

EDIT: The first link works OK. It went to the tread and then jumped to the post.
Thanks for letting me know the links are ok. I'm always curious if I send people to the wrong post on the forums, so I try to remember to include the post # too.

Try a 'copy shortcut' on http://www.sevenforums.com/showthread.php?p=2929772
- this link uses the [post]2929772[/post] tags.

Note the page reference just before .html in the code box below that represents a 'copy shortcut' for me.
(mine is -3.html, yours will probably be -6.html). The -# is the page number.
Code:
http://www.sevenforums.com
/chillout-room
/350994-need-help-windows-8-clean-install-retail-pc-3.html#post2929772
This is what would be posted if I didn't 'adjust' what 'copy short' gives me. Does the link below take you to your post #114?
Need help with windows 8 clean install on retail pc.

It's because I have 'posts per page' set to 40 and the default is 20. It just makes it easier for me to navigate threads (less page turning) but I pay a price when referencing links. This was fixed a while back as evidenced by the permalink flyout ... except it's no longer a permalink. The mod to the forum must have been lost in maintenance.

It wasn't worth an admins time for me (one of the few non-conformists) to pursue the matter. It' like when you go to the doctor and say 'It hurts when I do this' ... and the doctor say 'My advice is - don't do that'

Bill
.
The first link takes me right to the post. The second link takes me to the thread for a brief instant, first post in the thread I think? It only shows for an instant and then it goes to the post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2014   #117
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
The first link takes me right to the post. The second link takes me to the thread for a brief instant, first post in the thread I think? It only shows for an instant and then it goes to the post.
Thanks again, I guess I don't need to adjust the copied shortcuts any more ... I've been doing it so long it became habit.

There still is a memory of where the linked post is in the thread. It might work fine if the link is at the end of the thread, but in the middle? Would you be so kind as to click on this link (post# 83 in this thread where Andrew thanks everyone and almost gave up)

Need help with windows 8 clean install on retail pc.

Code:
http:/
/www.sevenforums.com/
chillout-room/
350994-need-help-windows-8-clean-install-retail-pc-3.html#post2929213
This is probably my last post on this subject - the copy shortcut seems to work as it should, but I tend to give members lots of links and I just want to make sure that what we're seeing isn't due to where the post is in the thread.

Thanks a lot for all of your help on this very minor issue that I cause by not using the default post count,

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Activating a Windows 7 Retail Clean Install using a OEM Product Key
My cousin give me a HP Mini 110-3715TU which is running Windows 7 Starter. After 15 days it won't start and I've decided to perform a clean install, However I used a retail copy of Windows 7 which I write to a USB Flash Drive. After the installation, I can't activate it using the product key on the...
Windows Updates & Activation
New windows 7 pro 64-bit full retail install
I have NO idea where to get the drivers for this install. They should be on the cd. Then how do I install them and in what order???? Thanks for this site and your help.
Drivers
Windows Install - 64 to 32 bit and OEM v's Retail
Right i have a bit of a puzzler, basically i can get some workstations at a good price, however they come preinstalled with windows 7 pro 64-bit. i am loath to release 64-bit as yet into my workplace, its caused issues already on a couple of workstations so i dont want anymore in there. ...
Installation & Setup
new hardware, can i do a clean install with a retail upgrade version?
my current setup is that i (believe) i did a clean install of win 7 prof over my old win xp. but in any case, i have a new mobo, cpu and ram and im assuming i have to reinstall windows because of the hardware change. since this is an upgrade version, do i have to reinstall xp first before i...
Installation & Setup
Which Windows 7 to install? OEM or Retail?
Hello. I presently have Windows Vista 64-bit installed on my computer and wish to upgrade to Windows 7. I notice that there are two versions available, OEM or Retail. What is the difference between them. Further,I see that the Retail version comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit discs. Can these be...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Re-install - 2 Retail copies
Hi Windows 7 people, I am hoping this is very easy to answer. At the moment I have 2 retail copies of Windows 7, and have one installed on my desktop machine and one on my netbook. I am upgrading the desktop machine, basically new motherboard, cpu, ram, HD and graphics. I believe my...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App