Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help with windows 8 clean install on retail pc.

03 Nov 2014   #11
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
....and had you used Google, you would have discovered this...
I know about the generic keys. Maybe if you read my posts, you would have discovered this. I also did state what I was installing, windows 8.1. I ended up having to use a pro disk to run the vbs file to discover the oem key. The problem is windows cannot activate with an oem activation key and Microsoft is refusing help as according to them, you can only install windows 8 on a retail pc with the retail image that was on the pc originally. You cannot download an iso from them and activate it via the oem key. It has to be the manufacturers media or image.

Which is bull****. It should not be this hard to clean install windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #12
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

If you have the correct install media it will read and use the embedded key automatically. If the OEM PC came with Windows 8.0 you need 8.0 install media. If it came with Windows 8.1 you need 8.1 install media. My ASUS laptop came with 8.0 Core, if I use my MSDN Windows 8.0 ISO, 8.0 Core is installed automatically with no prompt for a key. However, if I use my Windows 8.1 ISO I get prompted to enter a key. I'm guessing if the PC came with Windows 8.1 and you use an 8.0 ISO the same thing will happen. The other gotcha is if the OEM PC came with the "Single Language" edition. That's a special ISO that will only use the Single language embedded key.
With my laptop I can do this, Solved Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.. I don't bother though as I use my TechNet Pro keys instead.

What version of Windows originally came on the laptop 8.0 or 8.1? And what is your install media 8.0 or 8.1?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #13
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
....and had you used Google, you would have discovered this...
I know about the generic keys. Maybe if you read my posts, you would have discovered this. I also did state what I was installing, windows 8.1. I ended up having to use a pro disk to run the vbs file to discover the oem key. The problem is windows cannot activate with an oem activation key and Microsoft is refusing help as according to them, you can only install windows 8 on a retail pc with the retail image that was on the pc originally. You cannot download an iso from them and activate it via the oem key. It has to be the manufacturers media or image.

Which is bull****. It should not be this hard to clean install windows.
In the past you did have to have custom OEM Media to do the OEM activation. As far as I know that's not true with Windows 8. The product key is now in the BIOS. My MSDN ISO's which are identical to Retail DVD's will read and use the OEM embedded keys, see my other post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2014   #14
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

If you installed Pro and your OEM key is only a Core key, you can't activate with it. You would have to install Core with a generic key for that to work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #15
JW0914

Win 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
....and had you used Google, you would have discovered this...
I know about the generic keys. Maybe if you read my posts, you would have discovered this. I also did state what I was installing, windows 8.1. I ended up having to use a pro disk to run the vbs file to discover the oem key. The problem is windows cannot activate with an oem activation key and Microsoft is refusing help as according to them, you can only install windows 8 on a retail pc with the retail image that was on the pc originally. You cannot download an iso from them and activate it via the oem key. It has to be the manufacturers media or image.

Which is bull****. It should not be this hard to clean install windows.
I apologize, as I must have misread.

Is your OEM key a 25 digit product key, or does it contain "OEM" within it? If it contains "OEM" within the key, there is no way for that key to activate 8.1 as keys that contain OEM are Volume license keys generated by the OEM... however, if it's an actual 25 digit PK, you should be able to activate Win 8.1 by using the phone activation via slui 4 because Windows 8.1 is free and thus there isn't an actual Windows 8.1 activation key; Windows 8.1 is activated via the Windows 8 activation key.

However, I may also be misinterpreting a few things in your posts...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #16
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

The problem is I do not know what the pc had in terms of windows 8 version, it is a friends and of course the average user does not know what they are buying. It does says windows 8.1 on the back of the pc, so it most likely is windows 8.1 core. Most new pc's are not 8.1 pro out of the box.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
If you have the correct install media it will read and use the embedded key automatically.
That is the problem though. How does one obtain the correct install media? Microsoft is telling me I have to get Toshiba's recovery disks and use those as only preinstalled or manufacturer media can work with the built in oem key in the bios.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
If you installed Pro and your OEM key is only a Core key, you can't activate with it. You would have to install Core with a generic key for that to work.
Understood, I know that. Just like with windows 7 you cannot activate pro with a ultimate key. Its different keys per version. How do I download windows 8.1 core? All the methods I have done ask for a key at the download, which I do not have.

So this link below you linked me to if I use the generic key to initialize the download process to burn to a disk windows 8 core, then install it and activate it with the oem key that should work? Am I understanding that correctly?

Solved Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.


I also thought my disk was a universal disk, is that not possible for 8 like it was with windows 7?

Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create



@JW0914

I apologize for my slightly rude response. I am just really frustrated. Maybe I should just cave in and get the recovery media for my friend. He is frustrated too since he needs it soon for work and stuff but the problem is when they will deliver it will take several weeks they said. (It's a 25 key btw)



Am I the only one though that honestly thinks this whole thing is stupid and Microsoft should just go back to the way it was before with a sticker that is easily used to install and activate and be done?

BTW THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP ON THIS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #17
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I believe we can than the counterfeiters for this kind of problem.
I also believe that Microsoft and probably other venders are trying to figure out methods to slow down counterfeiting. Which means the rest of us some how are going to have to live with this B/S.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #18
JW0914

Win 8.1 x64
 
 

There are a number of ways to get an 8.1 core iso, it just depends on level of risk to the end user. The possible ways are:

1. If there's a lot of applications and user files on the HDD windows is currently installed on, use a spare HDD that has at least 100GB, install Windows 8, then use the tool from the Microsoft Website to download the 8.1 ISO (DO NOT use windows store), and select the option to "save and install later" which will allow you to grab the entire 8.1 install ISO so you don't have this issue in the future. There are plenty of guides that can explain the process step by step if you don't know how. (I thought I had bookmarked one of them, but I don't think I have it anymore... a google search should return quite a few tutorials on how to do it).

2. You can download the 8.1 ISO from a warez site, like warez-bb.org, however, if you do so, you need to scan the ENTIRE download prior to burning to DVD or copying to USB. You will need to make sure your anti-virus is set up to unpack and scan rar, zip, cab, exe, and jar. That's the only downside to downloading an ISO, however, there's also an upside... you can download a Windows 8/8.1 AIO that has every version, both x86 and x64.

3. Create an answer file that bypasses the installer product key request. Windows Installation occurs in 7 separate stages, and creating an answer file for the first two - three is very simple and can be found and created by doing 30 - 60 minutes of research.

I'm more than willing to upload my 8.1 ISO, however it's Pro and if the computer is core, that's not going to help you. Have you physically viewed the PK that's written into the BIOS? If you have, you have to verify if its a regular 25 digit product key or if it has "OEM" within the key. This matters, as it determines what options you have. If you haven't physically seen the BIOS key, there are many free applications that can read it, and I even believe Nirsoft has one or two (nirsoft.net).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #19
JW0914

Win 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I believe we can than the counterfeiters for this kind of problem.
I also believe that Microsoft and probably other venders are trying to figure out methods to slow down counterfeiting. Which means the rest of us some how are going to have to live with this B/S.
BIOS written keys aren't meant to deter piracy, but to make it easier for the end user should they have to do a clean install. They are also meant to counteract the problem of poor COA attachment by the OEM, as they generally, and idiotically, place the COAs on high traffic areas of the laptop, the bottom for instance, which over time renders the COA unreadable. This then creates a huge problem for the end user, as the OEM won't issue you a new COA, and although Microsoft will issue you a new PK, they will only do so if the serial number on the COA is legible (as they, rightfully so, need to verify you actually have a COA).

However, with regards to Microsoft, an educated guess explains the new licensing structure and locking down the installer as a way to combat piracy against the average user that doesn't know how to create an answer file to bypass the setup screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2014   #20
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

@JW0914

Thank you.

As I said though, the previous hard drive had died. It is when I installed a new hard drive is when the problems began, because everything is gone. A new one was installed. So losing data is not an issue, already happened and was unrecoverable.

I used option 5 from this link on the sister site 8 forums here.

Product Key - Find for Windows 8

So whatever that tool reported is the oem key I have. As far as I know and what I read online and elsewhere, it is the most reliable in accuracy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Activating a Windows 7 Retail Clean Install using a OEM Product Key
My cousin give me a HP Mini 110-3715TU which is running Windows 7 Starter. After 15 days it won't start and I've decided to perform a clean install, However I used a retail copy of Windows 7 which I write to a USB Flash Drive. After the installation, I can't activate it using the product key on the...
Windows Updates & Activation
New windows 7 pro 64-bit full retail install
I have NO idea where to get the drivers for this install. They should be on the cd. Then how do I install them and in what order???? Thanks for this site and your help.
Drivers
Windows Install - 64 to 32 bit and OEM v's Retail
Right i have a bit of a puzzler, basically i can get some workstations at a good price, however they come preinstalled with windows 7 pro 64-bit. i am loath to release 64-bit as yet into my workplace, its caused issues already on a couple of workstations so i dont want anymore in there. ...
Installation & Setup
new hardware, can i do a clean install with a retail upgrade version?
my current setup is that i (believe) i did a clean install of win 7 prof over my old win xp. but in any case, i have a new mobo, cpu and ram and im assuming i have to reinstall windows because of the hardware change. since this is an upgrade version, do i have to reinstall xp first before i...
Installation & Setup
Which Windows 7 to install? OEM or Retail?
Hello. I presently have Windows Vista 64-bit installed on my computer and wish to upgrade to Windows 7. I notice that there are two versions available, OEM or Retail. What is the difference between them. Further,I see that the Retail version comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit discs. Can these be...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Re-install - 2 Retail copies
Hi Windows 7 people, I am hoping this is very easy to answer. At the moment I have 2 retail copies of Windows 7, and have one installed on my desktop machine and one on my netbook. I am upgrading the desktop machine, basically new motherboard, cpu, ram, HD and graphics. I believe my...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

İ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App