Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's up with the red flower?

10 Nov 2014   #11
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Let's not forget that in most of the world outside US in general and Europe and British Commonwealth in particular it's called the Remembrance Day "to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty".

The difference is quite significant, the US Veterans Day being dedicated to all veterans who have served in US armed forces whereas the Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2014   #12
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
...The difference is quite significant, the US Veterans Day being dedicated to all veterans who have served in US armed forces whereas the Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
I'm sure we would follow suit had it not been for our Civil War in 1861-1865. That led to the creation of Memorial Day in May which is when we honor our fallen. Sadly, a lot of people over here can't seem to get the two straight and go around thanking veterans in May when they should be thanking the surviving family members of those who gave all. Either way, I approve of the sentiment whatever the actual date on the calendar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2014   #13
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
...The difference is quite significant, the US Veterans Day being dedicated to all veterans who have served in US armed forces whereas the Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
I'm sure we would follow suit had it not been for our Civil War in 1861-1865. That led to the creation of Memorial Day in May which is when we honor our fallen. Sadly, a lot of people over here can't seem to get the two straight and go around thanking veterans in May when they should be thanking the surviving family members of those who gave all. Either way, I approve of the sentiment whatever the actual date on the calendar.
To clarify this a bit more:

The OP asks about "the red flower", poppy, and its meaning which really has nothing to do with the US official holiday Veterans Day (see quote below), which is why I wanted to clarify it. The poppy is the symbol of our Remembrance Day and is also used as a symbol for US Memorial Day last Monday of May.

From the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs:
Quote:
Q. Why are red poppies worn on Veterans Day, and where can I obtain them?

A. The wearing of poppies in honor of America's war dead is traditionally done on Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. The practice of wearing of poppies takes its origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, written in 1915 by John McCrae.
(Veterans Day Frequently Asked Questions - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs)

As the difference, the meaning of this symbol is in my opinion not only very clear but also quite significant (all veterans versus those who died in line of duty) I felt I wanted to explain what the day is for greater part of the world and what the flower is symbolizing.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Nov 2014   #14
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Saw yesterday at a news report about WWI and the battle of Verdun, to be more precise, is about "The Battle of Vauquois".
Some reported that after that battle area, the first flowers that have grown out were the Poppy Red ones....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #15
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Let's not forget that in most of the world outside US in general and Europe and British Commonwealth in particular it's called the Remembrance Day "to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty".

The difference is quite significant, the US Veterans Day being dedicated to all veterans who have served in US armed forces whereas the Remembrance Day is to commemorate those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
For clarity...

In the United States, Veterans Day annually falls on November 11. This is the anniversary of the signing of the armistice, which ended World War I hostilities between the Allied nations and Germany in 1918.

Quote:
In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day with the following words: "To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"
By June of 1954, after WWII, it became known as Veterans Day to honor all American Veterans...

Quote:
An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) approved May 13, 1938, made the 11th of November in each year a legal holiday—a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day." Armistice Day was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I, but in 1954, after World War II had required the greatest mobilization of soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen in the Nation’s history; after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting in its place the word "Veterans." With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.
History of Veterans Day - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

As a retired military service member I'd like to thank all the men and women, to include their families, for their service and sacrifice to their country.

MSgt Andrew D. Minton, USAF, Retired.

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #16
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Sygnus, my posts are in no way been nothing else and meant not be taken as nothing else than explaining a bit further "What's up with the red flower", answer your question and title of this thread of yours which you asked when you noticed it had replaced the forums logo.

The flower is the symbol of the International Remembrance Day, celebrated mostly in British Commonwealth and Europe (also called the Armistice Day), not the symbol of U.S. Veterans Day. I simply explained that, nothing else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #17
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I got it Kari. No problems. BTW here's my original post

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Anyone know what up with the red flower here?...

Attachment 339822

Thanks.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Its a poppy to honor our Veterans on Nov 11.
It came from a poem about the battle of Flanders during WWI.

In Flanders Field, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

Jim
Doh ... And I'm retired military

Thanks all.
Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #18
Cato

 

A picture worth a thousand words.


Attached Thumbnails
What's up with the red flower?-onceasoldier.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #19
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Anyone know what up with the red flower here?...

Attachment 339822

Thanks.

Ive been wondering the same thing. What in the world happened to our colorful "windows" logo with the 4 colors that use to be there and why the change?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #20
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I got it Kari. No problems. BTW here's my original post

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Anyone know what up with the red flower here?...

Attachment 339822

Thanks.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Its a poppy to honor our Veterans on Nov 11.
It came from a poem about the battle of Flanders during WWI.

In Flanders Field, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

Jim
Doh ... And I'm retired military

Thanks all.
Peace
Oh....so thats why the flower is there? Now i see!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App