Ok, so currently I have a old sony analog receiver with 8 large analog speakers. They sound nice and all, but with the newer ps4 and other hardware I am getting, I would love to upgrade my speaker system on the cheap. As In, not $300 or more. (I am getting married after all lol) The ps4 only has an optical audio for speaker output. The ps3 has a analog output for speakers and then I had it hooked to hdmi for my tv. I know they have adapters for optical to rca but I figured I might just as well get a new speaker system.
I am having a absolutely terrible time trying to find what I am looking for. Amazon, newegg, and monoprice do not seem to have what I want.
Hopefully you guys can help me out here.
Here is what I want:
NO dvd/bluray player combo speaker systems.
That was the only crap I could find, which is why I am asking for help.
What I want: (keep in mind I know barely anything about audio so maybe what I want is impossible)
- A digital Optical speaker system with (a receiver i think?) that has 2 or 3 optical inputs. Don't laugh cause I do not know, but maybe also have 1 rca input there as well would be nice. (I don't know if that is possible)
- At least 4 speakers
- A subwoofer would be nice but not mandatory.
- Price up to $250. I can do $300 but would prefer not to. Keep in mind this is my first digital system, so it will probably blow me away no matter how cheapo it is.
- Reliable/decent quality.
- 5.1 surround sound? It sounds like this is what I want but I don't know what all this stuff means.
- Wires are completely fine, I actually would prefer wired over wireless. (I have the office cord floor hiders.)
- It does not have to be new. I would be fine with a nice refurbished or gently used item.
Is this possible? Thanks for your time.
Edit: Forgot to mention I did find a $150 RCA system at walmart that has almost everything I wanted but it had only 3 speakers. (3 star avg reviews though), but I wanted to see a lot more options then just buying the first one I see.