Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What else can I do with an over 10 year old computer?

05 Oct 2015   #11
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Landfill.
A recycling center would be better. Computers have small amounts of hazardous materials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2015   #12
wasnotwas

W10 Pro x64, W7 Pro x64 in VMware
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
A recycling center would be better. Computers have small amounts of hazardous materials.
Recycling ain't all that cool.

I saw a TV prog a few years ago where containers of used circuit boards were being shipped to 3rd world countries to extract the gold etc. A typical family would have a big tank of acid in their yard, and everyone (kids included) was scrubbing the boards with brushes - their bare hands in the toxic liquid and no breathing masks. Every few weeks a truck would come to swap the tank out, so the precious metals could be extracted from the 'soup' and re-used back in the 1st world. This was the families only source of income.

A quick search came up with -
After Dump, What Happens To Electronic Waste? : NPR
High-Tech Trash - National Geographic Magazine

Sure made me think about the real price paid for our pc's, TV's, phones - and the rest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2015   #13
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wasnotwas View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
A recycling center would be better. Computers have small amounts of hazardous materials.
Recycling ain't all that cool.

I saw a TV prog a few years ago where containers of used circuit boards were being shipped to 3rd world countries to extract the gold etc. A typical family would have a big tank of acid in their yard, and everyone (kids included) was scrubbing the boards with brushes - their bare hands in the toxic liquid and no breathing masks. Every few weeks a truck would come to swap the tank out, so the precious metals could be extracted from the 'soup' and re-used back in the 1st world. This was the families only source of income.

A quick search came up with -
After Dump, What Happens To Electronic Waste? : NPR
High-Tech Trash - National Geographic Magazine

Sure made me think about the real price paid for our pc's, TV's, phones - and the rest.
Those articles are interesting.





circuit boards have gold in them? I have an old computer and an old vhs player, could I take the boards to the gold dealer and get some cash?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Oct 2015   #14
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I believe they are mostly silver not gold.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2015   #15
BrightBlessings

Win7 Pro-64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wasnotwas View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
A recycling center would be better. Computers have small amounts of hazardous materials.
Recycling ain't all that cool.

I saw a TV prog a few years ago where containers of used circuit boards were being shipped to 3rd world countries to extract the gold etc. A typical family would have a big tank of acid in their yard, and everyone (kids included) was scrubbing the boards with brushes - their bare hands in the toxic liquid and no breathing masks. Every few weeks a truck would come to swap the tank out, so the precious metals could be extracted from the 'soup' and re-used back in the 1st world. This was the families only source of income.

A quick search came up with -
After Dump, What Happens To Electronic Waste? : NPR
High-Tech Trash - National Geographic Magazine

Sure made me think about the real price paid for our pc's, TV's, phones - and the rest.
Those articles are interesting.





circuit boards have gold in them? I have an old computer and an old vhs player, could I take the boards to the gold dealer and get some cash?
Electronics industry uses 320 tons of Gold,7500 tons of Silver annually

Process of Gold Extraction from Motherboards (18 pics)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2015   #16
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BrightBlessings View Post
That's a neat walk through.

From this,





You get this,

My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2015   #17
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

That is pretty wild and breaking bad
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2015   #18
Laith

Windows 10 Professional x64
 
 

You could use it as a test subject.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2015   #19
cyclops

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Give it to a child who is less fortunate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2015   #20
Qwertyfish01

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (I no longer make posts here)
 
 

You can wait a bit and sell it or sell it now (Is it like an Intel 386 or 486 or even Pentium?) What version of Windows did it come with? If it is MS-DOS (Of any sort), or Windows 3.1, 95, or 98, you can sell it to me or on Ebay for like $350, (or 228 Pounds, which is 317 Euro)(If you are selling it to me it has to be in working condition, have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and has all the cables to hook them up, and also it's free.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
First BSOD on a custom build computer in 2 year - f4 error
So firstly, i love that there is a forum dedicated to the dreaded BSOD. Setting the scene: Last night i put my computer on sleep mode for the first time ever whilst i went sleepies- normally i just perform a shut down. Bright lights were flashing in my room so i couldnt get to sleep, so lazy me...
BSOD Help and Support
2 year old compaq computer all original parts -- HD not found anymore
Hoping I don't need a new hard drive. Received Compaq computer CQ61, With Win 7, 64 bit. If I try to run the Hard Drive test, I get "Hard Drive Not exist". (The computer's words, not mine) Really don't want to buy new hard drive, of course. This drive is only 2, but original equipment and...
Hardware & Devices
10+ year old HDD
My mom's 10+ year old computer died the other day. The light indicator for the PSU lights up but the computer doesn't do anything. When I took a look inside I saw the processor fan was just caked with gunk, dust, etc. It looked like somebody threw mud at it. Anyways, she has this stuff on her...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App