Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: To buy or not to buy

14 Feb 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 
To buy or not to buy

I have picked out all the components I want for a new Core i7 system but I don't know whether to take the plunge yet or not.

Obviously with the tech still being relatively new prices are going to drop (i've already seen drops in DDR3 since I started looking) but on the other hand the way the economy is and inparticular the strength of the pound prices may well rise. With the pound being so low compared to every other currency at the minute anything manufactured outside the UK (i.e. everything) costs more to import meaning less chance of prices drops in the near future.

I can afford to buy everything now but i hate it when u buy something and then a week later its price plummets, but I guess thats the what happens to everyone who buys computer stuff.

So guys what do you reckon? Go for it or hold off?

Chris
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #2

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Hi Chris,

My experience is that no matter when ,or what, you buy, something(s) will have their price cut or be on sale shortly after.

Gary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #3

 

As your in the UK I would buy now as GBP is weakening every day against the USD and YEN, this will as it filters through drive all prices up.


Edit
BTW if the spec is better than mine then you should wait
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
BTW if the spec is better than mine then you should wait
Don't think there's much chance of that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Personally Id wait for when Windows 7 is released, if you can wait until next year.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #6

win7 Pro
 
 

I built a q6600 system in november last year, it would cost more today to source the parts (cpu was 117, now ~150)...same with the e5200 and e4300 machines for xmas
Prices are going up
Only component which has seriously dropped in price since buying is my 9800gtx...cost 220 in June..now worth a tenner...the rest of the PC (q9300 etc..) is about the same price

so...buy while you have the cash, if prices do drop (unlikely) so what? You've bought the PC you want at a price you can afford, and if they go up (likley) you can sit smugly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #7

 
 

Buy now, build now, and then stop looking at prices
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #8

SEVEN x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eggyuk View Post
I have picked out all the components I want for a new Core i7 system but I don't know whether to take the plunge yet or not.

Obviously with the tech still being relatively new prices are going to drop (i've already seen drops in DDR3 since I started looking) but on the other hand the way the economy is and inparticular the strength of the pound prices may well rise. With the pound being so low compared to every other currency at the minute anything manufactured outside the UK (i.e. everything) costs more to import meaning less chance of prices drops in the near future.

I can afford to buy everything now but i hate it when u buy something and then a week later its price plummets, but I guess thats the what happens to everyone who buys computer stuff.

So guys what do you reckon? Go for it or hold off?

Chris

there is never a good time to buy unfortunately if you buy now, its bound to drop slightly in price..... & if you wait there will be a newer, faster platform which will catch your eye...

so your damned if you do & your damned if you dont..

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Edit
BTW if the spec is better than mine then you should wait

lol....





SK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #9

Windows 7 Build 7048 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Buy now, build now, and then stop looking at prices
This at first look, sounds funny but it actually makes good sense. I'd say, its a very sound advice.

My vote on your question, buy now. The rule of thumbs on tech buying is, get the highest specs you can afford.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

I must say you all make valid points. I think I will buy sooner rather than later. If I can sell my old system it might ease the pain of forking out for the new stuff. My girlfriend told me to buy but I didn't listen to her since she thought a computer was just the monitor and didn't understand why I needed "a big box attached to it"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33