Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macintosh or Windows based systems?

18 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit
 
 
Macintosh or Windows based systems?

A debate about which computer system is superior. From Macbooks to iMac, and Windows based systems. Which computer is best?

I personally think the Macs are best, despites their huge price tag, due to the style and the beauty of the Macs.

But what about you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

IMHO the best OS is the one that runs everything I need to run on it in one place. For me, on the desktop, that is Windows and has been since at least 2k. In the server space I don't have enough info to comment.

I develop cross platform software for Linux, Windows and Mac (not so much Mac any more). The machines are actually a lot more similar than they are different. Cosmetic differences really. Like the way people pick cars, based almost entirely on looks.

More practically, I like Windows because it runs anything, on anything. I have no problem paying for software I use (maybe that's because I like getting paid to develop software). I do HATE being treated like a criminal by commercial software though.

Linux is nice because you really can crap it togeather and do stuff without having to worry about keys and licencingit. But the user software is second rate and buggy, ugh. (again... desktop, not server) Linux runs great in a VM though so running Windows with Linux in a VM is pretty golden. What I DON'T like is the anti-commercial bent which gets in the way of just trying to use the OS let alone develop for it. That and the moving development target that makes Windows look stodgy by comparison Linux is easiest to develop for but hardest to distribute and maintain for (by far)

If Apple would just get over it and sell OSX stand alone it may have more of a chance. I would probably still use Windows due to the software availability, but it would be sweet to be able to run and develop for OSX in a VM as well.

Apple could STILL sell "sexy" high margin machines with their OS on it, but opening up OSX to other platforms would only be a good thing for them and everyone else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #3

windows 7 ultimate final Office 2007,27 Quad IMAC vm 7 64 bit
 
 

When I started several years ago with Windows 98 Second Addition I was starting as a middle age non geek that needed help my help was the fire dept, they used windows I used windows. I progressed through 2000, Xp, xp 64 bit all the betas, vista 64 32 and 64 bit all the betas and RTM of both through 7 all the betas and RTM, and all the variations of Microsoft Office. I have built computers my test machine has dual opteron s dual core still running from before 64 bit was the thing. I just purchased a Quad 27 inch IMAC with 8 gigs of memory, It cost a bunch it worked out of the box, yes not everyone has been as lucky. And it is a work off art. I have been able to get scanners to work that were not supported as 64 bit by the manufacturers, But before you say it is not Microsoft problem when they started Microsoft said to get signed off for drivers they needed to be for both 32 and 64 bit. I have been patient. Microsoft kept changing the rules. With fusion 3 I have installed Windows 7 64 bit and office 2007 ultimate Index score with 1 core and 2 gigs of memory is 5.1 lo score is because of graphics driver virtual. With 2 cores and 4 gigs it got a 5.9. I am not a gamer so it does not matter. When need for something not on the IMAC side it opens seamlessly. I am very pleased. I have not been told to see my system administrator once. That answer to me really is a crock. I agree I might not be able to correct the problem but how many out there are their system administrator? I was able to back up the entire system without an error message something that Windows 7 has never done, I was able to get my Windows 7 tablet to join the wireless network created by the Apple without any drops something that Windows 7 never allowed me to do. Not even to connect. Something about a hidden network with no other explanation. Even if the wireless network was seen with all the bars. Network printers were installed in Snow Leopard and the virtual windows 7 automatically. I will keep using both PC and Mac but right now I can see why my 82 year old mom likes her IMAC and never understood my PC. I am reserving judgment. HAVE A JOYOUS HOLIDAY SEASON

Bottom line I really don't care if it is a Apple or PC I just want it to run what I want, do what I want and be stable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #4
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Oh my, another one of these.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Ironically, your network problem may have been caused by a piece of Apple software on your Windows 7 machine Mine was...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Oh my, another one of these.
I know...that's what I said
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #7

7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I've always run Windows, because my family does and until now I haven't thoroughly understood the choices to be taken when purchasing a PC - to be truthful, I've never had my own PC. I've used my dad's, and when he got a new one I got a 5 year old one for a small amount of time, but never really treated as mine. I got a laptop running XP for christmas, my parent's choice entirely. I've since swapped to another laptop, my parent's choice again and bought for my brothers initially.

Effectively, the PC I'm about to buy is my first real choice in purchase, and was exactly the one I asked for. I suppose it's fair to say I was influenced by my past use of PCs, and Windows was naturally my first choice. I did look into Linux and very quickly decided it wasn't for me without heavy customisation (I'm not a very experienced coder, and have never touched an OS). I did look into OS X, but for various reasons turned it down.

The first was that I had a couple of chats with someone I know who develops business software for cross-platform and also develops the Operating Systems for business software. (Similar to the barcode, and silly advertising you see on screens at checkouts sometimes). He said I should either buy custom or build custom, to avoid silly cheap pieces that the big companies put in to cut the cost. As he said, there's a reason they only gave the spec on that Graphics Card emphasised in big red letters, and the Processor's quad-core support, but not the Hard Drive's cache, quality of the Network card or PCI-E slots available on the Motherboard.

After not too long, we decided that custom was the way to go. He gave me a really handy collection of stats to look for, and explained that buying custom I can easily get any spec out of them, and building each piece should come with it.

Naturally, the stuck up people in suits at Apple decided it was a bad idea to allow customisation of their products by the end user, and that was pretty much the end of the possibilities of Apple. It's not available stand alone, and who knows what sort of crazy compatibility I'd get trying to change things in it? No thanks, I'll go with Windows.

Around this time, talk was everywhere about Windows 7 Betas. After a lot of research and discovery of some incredible features, Windows 7 was pre-ordered about a week before release. Been with me ever since. Always been PC, and I think I always will be Windows based PC.

While apple may offer the ultimate compatibility for their own pieces, it's about as good as buying a laptop. The possible upgrades seemed few and far between, and seemed to be a few hundred pound more than same spec PC. I'll go for future-proof and compatibility if you're careful, over self-compatibility only and dead-end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2009   #8
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

I have a Mac and a Window/Linux machine, and think they are both great. So, lets move on. This is a Windows 7 Forum, and not a Mac or Linux Forum. Hence, let keep it as a 7 forum and not drag out the difference between other OS's. It gets boring.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
not drag out the difference between other OS's. It gets boring.
All that I intended to opening this thread was a little comparison debate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #10

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edster View Post

I personally think the Macs are best, despites their huge price tag, due to the style and the beauty of the Macs.
Yes, Macs have a pleasant aesthetic design to them. However I personally feel that the aesthetic quality is negated and lost amongst a sea of uniformity.

On the other hand, you can spend less, equal or even more on attractive PC's. The advantage is that they can be transformed into something unique.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
not drag out the difference between other OS's. It gets boring.
All that I intended to opening this thread was a little comparison debate.
Rightly or wrongly, the majority of users here are Pro Windows because as Lee mentioned, it's a Windows Seven forum

Unfortunately these debates always gravitate into a tit for tat with reason and logic often being left behind. It's boring in the sense that these are one of those debates that are repeated ad nauseum. The outcome is always predictable.

The bottom line always is:

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. It's then up to the individual to decide which one's advantages outweigh the others disadvantages. From there, your personal preference is derived.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33