Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: NASA: Millions of tons of water discovered on moon.

02 Mar 2010   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
NASA: Millions of tons of water discovered on moon.

Quote:
A NASA radar system onboard India's lunar orbiter has spotted evidence of water -- a lot of water -- on the moon's north pole.

The space agency announced Monday that scientists have discovered about 600 million metric tons of water ice in more than 40 craters on the lunar surface. The craters, which are in permanent shadow and extremely cold, range in size from one to nine miles in diameter. NASA scientists have long theorized that the dark, cold craters held one of their best chances of finding water ice on the moon.

"After analyzing the data, our science team determined a strong indication of water ice, a finding which will give future missions a new target to further explore and exploit," said Jason Crusan, a program executive for NASA's Space Operations Mission Directorate, in a statement.
Source -
NASA: Millions of tons of water discovered on moon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #2
jamesvdm

 

It's cool that they're finding stuff, but what does water on the moon really mean?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #3
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

It would mean that keeping a permanent moon base would become far more practical. It would be difficult to transport enough water from the earth to provide for a very large population. Water is an essential need for life on the moon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2010   #4
nekkidtruth

Windows 7
 
 

Here's a really well written detailed article on what it means/could mean

Water on the Moon: What Does it Mean? | Universe Today
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #5
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvdm View Post
It's cool that they're finding stuff, but what does water on the moon really mean?
It means the Moon is not made out of Cheese


Attached Images
NASA: Millions of tons of water discovered on moon.-full_moon.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #6
gladson1976

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Quote:
A NASA radar system onboard India's lunar orbiter has spotted evidence of water -- a lot of water -- on the moon's north pole.

The space agency announced Monday that scientists have discovered about 600 million metric tons of water ice in more than 40 craters on the lunar surface. The craters, which are in permanent shadow and extremely cold, range in size from one to nine miles in diameter. NASA scientists have long theorized that the dark, cold craters held one of their best chances of finding water ice on the moon.

"After analyzing the data, our science team determined a strong indication of water ice, a finding which will give future missions a new target to further explore and exploit," said Jason Crusan, a program executive for NASA's Space Operations Mission Directorate, in a statement.
600 million metric tons = 600 000 000 000 kilograms = 1.32277357 10^12 pounds
Thats ~625 000 000 000 liters ~= 1.65107533 10^11 US gallons

Thats a lot of water. Hope they don't exploit it too much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #7
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Old news. They confirmed water back in September.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #8
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Old news. They confirmed water back in September.
Well, now they found more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #9
TRK212

Windows 7 64-Bit Premium
 
 
Wow . . .

Well . . . thats just nice . . . LETS FIND SOMETHING WE CAN ACTUALLY USE!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #10
nekkidtruth

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TRK212 View Post
Well . . . thats just nice . . . LETS FIND SOMETHING WE CAN ACTUALLY USE!!!
Except...for....the fact....that we can use this...right?

The fact that there's water on the moon and it appears to be renewable is not useful?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Do I need to put new water in my water cooling system?
So i have heard that some water cooling systems do need new water in them every 6 months, and i have also heard that some never need to have the water replaced, so i have no idea of what brand/kind of water cooling system i have because it has no branding or anything, i got my computer custom built...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Report: NASA Eyes Moon for Future Space Base
Read more at source: Report: NASA Eyes Moon for Future Space Base | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Chillout Room
NASA Spacecraft Data Suggest Water Flowing on Mars
more
Chillout Room
NASA: Moon may have enough water for human base
This one is almost right out of Sci-Fi. More
Chillout Room
NASA LCross satellite to crash into the moon
Nasa is set to crash a high impact satellite into the moon in its search for water on the moon. s et for friday morning there will bw live satellite camera video and it shuld be visible with the naked eye here on earth Story is here NASA - LCROSS
Chillout Room
It's Official: Water Found on the Moon
more..
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App