Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer vs. Mechanical Engineering

17 Apr 2010   #1
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 
Computer vs. Mechanical Engineering

So I got accepted to my college of choice for Computer Engineering (CPE).
My issue is that I also am really interested in Mechanical Engineering, and I think that I like it a lot more.

My question goes out to both Mechanical and Computer Engineers:
What exactly do you do, and do you enjoy it?

I know that computer engineers work with circuitry and electronics, such as designing the guidance systems of a rocket or spaceship or the control systems on a robot, but I am just not sure.
I took a mechanical engineering 101 course at a local college through my high school, and got to design and build some robots and other things. I really (really really really really) enjoyed doing that.

So I am considering switching majors to Mechanical Engineering, which might be rather difficult and confusing, but I think it will be worth it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #2
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Do whatever you love, you'll be much happier in the end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #3
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

See if they off a Major in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Computer Engineering. In other words a lot of your elective courses would be in Computer Engineering. You need to talk to a school consular or someone in the Deans office.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2010   #4
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
See if they off a Major in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Computer Engineering. In other words a lot of your elective courses would be in Computer Engineering. You need to talk to a school consular or someone in the Deans office.

Jim
Thats not a bad idea at all.

Notsogreymatter, that is why I am asking. I really like working with computers, but I am not sure that Computer engineering is what I should do.
I am not sure what I would do as a computer engineer, but I know a bit more about mechanical engineering.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #5
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
See if they off a Major in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Computer Engineering. In other words a lot of your elective courses would be in Computer Engineering. You need to talk to a school consular or someone in the Deans office.

Jim
Thats not a bad idea at all.

Notsogreymatter, that is why I am asking. I really like working with computers, but I am not sure that Computer engineering is what I should do.
I am not sure what I would do as a computer engineer, but I know a bit more about mechanical engineering.

~Lordbob
I thought the same thing, I figured I shouldn't go to school for web design & e-commerce so I switched over to business finance. 4 years later I'm taking an extra 2 years to finish my e-commerce and web design majors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #6
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I really like working with computers, but I am not sure that Computer engineering is what I should do.

After reading your posts - it seems your heart has already answered your own question - mechanical engineering
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #7
Everlong

 

It seems you'd have more fun with Mechanical Engineering, and it does indeed seem interesting. They do it here at my University, and they do such things as the Forumla Student racing team as a project in which students design and build race cars to drive.

Though both are just as interesting, like I touch on Computer Engineering slightly doing Computer Science, and it can still be just as interesting like trying to program a chunk of silicon to do basic math problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #8
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
So I got accepted to my college of choice for Computer Engineering (CPE).
My issue is that I also am really interested in Mechanical Engineering, and I think that I like it a lot more.

My question goes out to both Mechanical and Computer Engineers:
What exactly do you do, and do you enjoy it?

I know that computer engineers work with circuitry and electronics, such as designing the guidance systems of a rocket or spaceship or the control systems on a robot, but I am just not sure.
I took a mechanical engineering 101 course at a local college through my high school, and got to design and build some robots and other things. I really (really really really really) enjoyed doing that.

So I am considering switching majors to Mechanical Engineering, which might be rather difficult and confusing, but I think it will be worth it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

~Lordbob
Mechanics and electronics are no longer totally separate disiplines. Many of today's mechanical devices would not function without the computers that control them... The stealth bomber would be unflyable without it's computers...

So... He who does both, has it all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #9
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Well, I talked with some of the professors today (both ME and CPE), and got a better feel as to what I would be doing in either field.

After this, it seems that Computer Engineering is more than just designing circuits and programming, but that also works with computer networks (like a campus network) and computer archetecture.
I cannot switch majors until the school year starts, and then after at least 1 quarter. So for now I will try to take the introductory course for both majors and see which really suits me.
I will talk with my teacher when I get back home monday, and also with the professors here once college starts in the fall.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #10
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
Do whatever you enjoy most.

IMO Mechanical Engineering is actually a better choice these days -- we still need HUGE projects -- Green Energy, renewables -- like Wind Turbines, Solar / Electric power etc etc. apart from a lot of civil engineering projects -- constructing Social Housing etc etc.

The need for decent mechanical engineers is endless -- and you will naturally get to use computers etc in your coursework. Engineers still need to know about things like feedback systems, neural networks etc etc as well as a bit of Psychology-- remember USERS will be using your products too - and loads of other skills too -- even having to be a bit of a Salesman -you might have to "Push" your idea or change in a design.

(Note also these jobs CAN'T be off shored either) -- the engineers are always ON SITE.

I graduated in Electrical Engineering rather than Computer Science and never regretted it.

I spent a lot of my Younger days as an Oil Engineer (Electrical Systems) in various parts of the world and really enjoyed it.

I only started in Computer contacting a few years ago -- Money was good and engineering jobs were on the wane --. I'm a bit fed up with IT now -- contract rates forever nudging downwards, you rarely get a contract unless you go via one of the "Useless consultancies" such as Accenture ("Accidenture") and you have to conform to THEIR standards rather than that of the end client -- and of course shedloads of IT jobs are all being outsourced (wrongly IMO) to India etc.

Engineering has picked up a LOT again -- Green projects are HUGE business as well as more conventional projects too. Any country that gives up its Engineering base will inevitably suffer SEVERE consequencies as typified by the recent Banking problems'

If I had young children NOW I certainly wouldn't advise them these days to pick IT as a career path unless they really were in the top 5%.

BTW the first computers were all conceived of by Mechanical Engineers -- the legendary Babbage for example.

The Babbage Engine | Computer History Museum

Enjpy.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I downgrade from SSD to mechanical HDD
Unusual request perhaps, but I'm getting an ex-corporate HP 8470p Notebook PC with 256GB SSD installed. I don't yet fully understand SSD technology - thankfully, there's a whole lot of reading in this forum I can do on the subject to remedy that. In the interim, I would like to replace the...
Hardware & Devices
Mechanical or SSD
I have a question, I'm building a new gaming rig and I was wondering if I should get a 500GB SSD or 2 2TB HDD's. I have almost 1TB of games loaded on my external hard drive at the moment and I'm sure that I'll end up with more. Is there a big difference in loading times between the HDD & SSD for...
Hardware & Devices
Mechanical computer flexes its muscle
An interesting read. Mechanical computer flexes its muscle | Ars Technica
Chillout Room
Computer Science Versus Computer Engineer Versus Mechanical Engineer.
Which major should I choose? I like computers. If I choose computer science as my major where do I work?
Chillout Room
Microsoft Hires Barbie To Attract Girls Into Computer Engineering
"Not only has Microsoft recognized the fact that most workers in the science and technology field are comprised of men, but they are making efforts to change that with their new DigiGirlz program. DigiGirlz is a week long program, hosted worldwide, designed specifically for the purpose of giving...
News
AHCI or IDE For Mechanical HDD ?
Hi, Is there any real noticable benefit from having a SATA mechanical HDD use AHCI or IDE? Also, if there is any benefit, is it related to the rpm speed that the drive is capable of? I keep reading conflicting reports on this, some say AHCI is best, others say there is no real difference...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App