Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76
Today I'm helping my son fix his laptop, he tried to install Nokia suite and well, let's just say thanks for backups
Dave, tell your son that if installing Nokia PC Suite fails, try instead Nokia Ovi Suite.
As a long time Nokia phone user (since 1986) and PC Suite
& Ovi Suite
user since early beta's before v. 1, my recommendation is to forget PC Suite and install Ovi Suite. This recommendation is based on my own user experience, as well as some other factors like ease of use, reliability, etc.
Important factor is also that Nokia is moving away from PC Suite, although it's still updated. Latest version 18.104.22.168 works well with Windows 7, both x86 and x64. Today Nokia concentrates more on Ovi Suite, I and other enthusiasts, we believe PC Suite is never going to see version 8.
Ovi Suite gives much more, in a more modern way, than PC Suite. It is also more stable. The thing I like most in Ovi Suite it is automatically connected to Ovi web application, which offers huge possibilities to sync and share everything, or just backup notes, calendar and messages. For me, important thing is also that it gives me access to my calendar from any PC and browser, even if the phone is not with me. Using Ovi web application
(see attached image) requires a registration.
Some things to remember when installing Nokia suites:
- Put phone to General profile
- Turn bluetooth off on phone
- Connect phone only when install & setup asks it
- Always create first USB connection, bluetooth connection only when USB works
To end this, some trivial facts:
- Nokia is a small town in Finland, where Nokia Corporation was incorporated in 1871. Company took the name of its home town
- Nokia started as a pulp mill and rubber manufacturer
- Nokia Tyres PLC still produces car tyres, especially their winter tyres are famous and widely used in Scandinavia, where use of winter tyres is obligatory
- As a kid, I had Nokia rubber boots
- Name of the Nokia's latest PC application Ovi is a Finnish word meaning a door
I've seen and experienced all the possible issues when installing different Nokia suites. Let me know if there are problems to get it to work.