Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A measured response

28 Jun 2010   #1
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
A measured response

Any advice from the "big thinkers" here to this question:
I had an email today from a man who asked me for my email address so that he could give me some useful information.
I don't know him and am at a loss as to how to reply? Also I wonder what the info might be
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #2
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

If you dont know him or its something youve not arranged, dont accept it. I have a firm policy on that. If later it transpires that it was legit, you can rearrange it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #3
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Any advice from the "big thinkers" here to this question:
I had an email today from a man who asked me for my email address so that he could give me some useful information.
I don't know him and am at a loss as to how to reply? Also I wonder what the info might be
Doesn't he already have your email if you've received one from him?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jun 2010   #4
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Wow! An informer! Create an email add that you dont intend to use for anything useful and give it to this guy. Let him spam all he wants to. Dont open any attachments in that mail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #5
z3r010

 

Any form of response will confirm the original email address he used is valid and ripe for spamming.

Just delete if and forget it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #6
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Any advice from the "big thinkers" here to this question:
I had an email today from a man who asked me for my email address so that he could give me some useful information.
I don't know him and am at a loss as to how to reply? Also I wonder what the info might be
Doesn't he already have your email if you've received one from him?
He may well have it but that doesnt mean its legit. He could obtain hundreds of emails from all sorts of places without you even knowing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #7
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Oh Dear! I thought this would be taken as a joke. Of course I would not reply, I just put the senders address in my banned list straightaway, remembering to ban it in my deleted box as well. Derek picked up my thoughts when he said why ask for an email address if you already have it? I intended it to be a bit of fun, must be the hot day
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #8
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Any advice from the "big thinkers" here to this question:
I had an email today from a man who asked me for my email address so that he could give me some useful information.
I don't know him and am at a loss as to how to reply? Also I wonder what the info might be
Doesn't he already have your email if you've received one from him?
He may well have it but that doesnt mean its legit. He could obtain hundreds of emails from all sorts of places without you even knowing.
I wasn't suggesting it was legit, just asking a question.
I would delete myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #9
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

Doesn't he already have your email if you've received one from him?
He may well have it but that doesnt mean its legit. He could obtain hundreds of emails from all sorts of places without you even knowing.
I wasn't suggesting it was legit, just asking a question.
I would delete myself.
Derek
Please don't! If you do I shall forever feel terribly guilty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #10
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post

He may well have it but that doesnt mean its legit. He could obtain hundreds of emails from all sorts of places without you even knowing.
I wasn't suggesting it was legit, just asking a question.
I would delete myself.
Derek
Please don't! If you do I shall forever feel terribly guilty
No guilt on your part, I'm the one clicking delete.
I just noticed my typo, duh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't use ssd for EZ smart response
I've a corsair ssd 60GB with the latest firmware 1.3 And I wanted to use EZ smart response from gigabyte When I run eZ smart response it reboots windows to configure my setting to RAID and it does that But after that the ssd does not appear in intel rapid storage technology even though it's...
Hardware & Devices
my network adapter not response ......... help
hi >>>>> i have some problem my router take electric shock and take half damage "port 1" is connect with my computer but "port 1" right now is damage so my computer .... the problem is 'This device is working properly' but when i connect my pc to router is not response , the two lights ...
Network & Sharing
Xp-Mode not response
I have my new Windows 7 Ultimate X64 edition installed, and follow the instruction from Miscrosoft to install all 3 files for the XP mode, after the computer re-started. I try to start the XP mode from the start manual. But nothing come up, no UI or any response. I believed that I have...
Virtualization
Keyboard response,
Hai, I have recently tried to update my HP windows7 (32 bit) laptop,with service pack1.It failed to update ,morever ,after that my keyboard doesnt function properly. Whichever key I press,only letter "a" comes . Help me out please.
Hardware & Devices
Slow response when copying
Hello to all. I recently bought a customized HP Envy 17 with windows 7 Pro 32 as a replacement for my older (also customized) Pavillion 9000. I noticed that during the copying of files, the comuter can hardly execute any other task, it reacts like it is completely overloaded and chocked. ...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App