Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What was your first Experience with a PC/OS ???

19 Dec 2008   #11
davehc
Microsoft MVP

Vista and now 7 in 32 and 64 bit.
 
 

I am not sure if a Sinclair ZX80 would properly be classified as a PC. I bought a kit around about 1981. It ran its own form of DOS and you needed to know a mass of key combinations to get anything on the screen (which was usually your TV)
I moved on to the the Apple 2, which was probably my first authentic PC, but company policy decided we would change to IBM so we, and I, moved into those. First attempt was with DR dos and then PC dos. After that the usual path 286 - 386 - 486 and on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2008   #12
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davehc View Post
I am not sure if a Sinclair ZX80 would properly be classified as a PC.
Oh. Hell. Yes.

The Sinclair 1000 was so cheap and ran off DC that we rigged it up in a big toy truck with the computer, batteries and four electric motors at each of the wheels and programmed it to navigate an obstacle course. If only we could have figured out how to integrate the sonar sensor we ripped off an old Polaroid camera we'd have had primitive adaptive routing autonomy for under $100.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2008   #13
limneos

Windows 7 RC 7100 32bit/64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
Well as for me my first machine i ever touched was the Mac OS (i believe it was 6.0...)
that was in elementary (1996... yes we were behind the times, this school didnt have much money...) then in 98 to upgraded to Mac 7 and finally to 8.....

That was the last i saw or heard of the Mac until OSX and the Ipod ...(never got one..., now i think it was a better not spending a fortune for an mp3 player..lol)

Well as for my machine it was a 1.2 ghz duron running with 128 mb ram (i thought that was fast..lol) IGP S3 Savage (hated that till the day it died...lol) 1 32gb harddrive (still works till this day....the only existent from my old computer...)
had Windows 98 and then to ME (its not as bad as most people make it think i dont know why people bash it...)

so what is/was your first computer and if you didnt own it then which was your first PC you bought and your experience???

Lots of things in common here with Darkassain!

The first time I laid hands on a computer was a Mac too, my english language school was using some of them for educational puproses. Unfortunately I was too young to know the OS version... (1988), but it seemed semi-hightech even then(!)
I never heard of it again until OSx and iPod too. (Running Dual Boot Leopard and Vista now on one of my PCs at home)

Then, my uncle (who was then my age now) had bought an Amiga 500, and I had an Atari ST/FM at that time, until I got to get my Amiga too. (1989)

So my first PC was in 1992 , when I was experimenting new things and wanted to see what that 386 with 8MB Ram was up for...Soon, I found it could do nothing much a kid expected (CGA video I remember) and was then a year or so later replaced with a Cyrix686, 200Mhz could be...Pentium processors had just arrived, though I went for Cyrix!! I loved that PC...When it broke, I couldn't bare to wait have it fixed, so I opened it myself...that move marked my life as a computer technician ever since....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2008   #14
johngalt

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davehc View Post
I am not sure if a Sinclair ZX80 would properly be classified as a PC. I bought a kit around about 1981. It ran its own form of DOS and you needed to know a mass of key combinations to get anything on the screen (which was usually your TV)
I moved on to the the Apple 2, which was probably my first authentic PC, but company policy decided we would change to IBM so we, and I, moved into those. First attempt was with DR dos and then PC dos. After that the usual path 286 - 386 - 486 and on.
lmfao - if I can count a TI 99/4A....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Oh. Hell. Yes.

The Sinclair 1000 was so cheap and ran off DC that we rigged it up in a big toy truck with the computer, batteries and four electric motors at each of the wheels and programmed it to navigate an obstacle course. If only we could have figured out how to integrate the sonar sensor we ripped off an old Polaroid camera we'd have had primitive adaptive routing autonomy for under $100.
Nice - that would have been fun.

I want to either figure out how to use a couple of play station Cell cores or else us CUDA and my dual GTX 260s to do that in a robotics competition sometime really soon - if I can figure out the place to get some grants to do this....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by limneos View Post
Lots of things in common here with Darkassain!

The first time I laid hands on a computer was a Mac too, my english language school was using some of them for educational puproses. Unfortunately I was too young to know the OS version... (1988), but it seemed semi-hightech even then(!)
I never heard of it again until OSx and iPod too. (Running Dual Boot Leopard and Vista now on one of my PCs at home)

Then, my uncle (who was then my age now) had bought an Amiga 500, and I had an Atari ST/FM at that time, until I got to get my Amiga too. (1989)

So my first PC was in 1992 , when I was experimenting new things and wanted to see what that 386 with 8MB Ram was up for...Soon, I found it could do nothing much a kid expected (CGA video I remember) and was then a year or so later replaced with a Cyrix686, 200Mhz could be...Pentium processors had just arrived, though I went for Cyrix!! I loved that PC...When it broke, I couldn't bare to wait have it fixed, so I opened it myself...that move marked my life as a computer technician ever since....
1988 sounds like models *after* the ][C and ][e, unless I am mistaken....

Original Macintosh machines, perhaps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #15
limneos

Windows 7 RC 7100 32bit/64bit
 
 

Yes, original Macintosh SE....They were those that had a floppy drive onboard on the crt screen/computer...as for the years, I'm not quite sure about them , just a quick estimation considering my age then and my memories from back then...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #16
johngalt

 

I worked on a few those for a friend, because different models had different ICs on the motherboard, allowing / disallowing for SuperDrive use when the SuperDrives were first introduced.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #17
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by limneos View Post
Yes, original Macintosh SE....They were those that had a floppy drive onboard on the crt screen/computer...as for the years, I'm not quite sure about them , just a quick estimation considering my age then and my memories from back then...



that little box design
brings back memories...lol
there was a room in our library with i think it was a OS 4...lol

looks just like that...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #18
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
I worked on a few those for a friend, because different models had different ICs on the motherboard, allowing / disallowing for SuperDrive use when the SuperDrives were first introduced.
Opening one up (the right way) required the infamous "case cracker tool". We used to use the SE/30 version 60030 20MHz as email servers when I worked for CE Software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #19
johngalt

 

60030 versus 68030?

Yeah, case cracking tools - never used one though, as these machines I worked on were already 10 years old when I was working on them - and were already 'cracked'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2008   #20
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
60030 versus 68030?

Yeah, case cracking tools - never used one though, as these machines I worked on were already 10 years old when I was working on them - and were already 'cracked'
I'm getting old -- what's one extra loop? Looked OK to me Have you seen this? Motorola 68060 processor family

The original PowerPC Macs sucked so bad that people were screaming for Apple to go back to the 68000 line of CPUs at the time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My SP1 experience
No question, I just gotta vent... Downloaded SP1 via WU -- a grand total of 61.2mb. The service pack downloaded fully but failed to install with error 80004005. (I googled the error ... its been around for years, its cause is 'unspecified' & it's cure is evasive.) In addition, my...
Windows Updates & Activation
Anyone Else Experience...
Hello new guy here:D I couldn't really find a suitable place to put this so iv'e placed it here sorry if it's in the wrong section. EDIT: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and before i updated i had a custom theme which meant i had to patch the system files. i never replaced the patched ones to the...
General Discussion
My BSOD experience - please help!
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - the original installed OS on the system? YES - an OEM or full retail version? OEM - OEM = came pre-installed on system - Full Retail = you purchased it from retailer - What is the age of system (hardware)? 1 month - What is the age of OS installation (have...
BSOD Help and Support
My PC experience :(
Hi, This is going to be a big story, nay rant but if you want to read it go ahead. I made my own custom PC in late 06' basically being my setup now. It started off working well but now I think of it have had graphics problems and problems in general every since. After upgrading the video...
General Discussion
Win 7 & First Experience
Well just recieved my copy of Win 7 Home Premium Friday. , So I decided to give it a try. I loaded it on an extra 160 gig drive I had so I would not ruin my XP64Pro install. It loaded well, installed some programs that I had a hard time loading onto xp64 system. The GUI looks great, loads fast,...
General Discussion
What is your job and experience ?
Hey guys/girls :) If you want to share i think it's just interesting and can be fun to talk about ! Me : I work as a tech/network admin. I'm in an outsourcing company where we manage small to average IT environment. Dunno if i spell it right but english is my second language so sorry about...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App