Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Configuring the "Debugging Tools"

15 Dec 2009   #11
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 
How do I create a crash dump in the first place?

I thought installing debugging tools would initiate a crash dump, but after I crashed I couldn't find a *.dmp file on my system anywhere. Do I have to initiate this process somewhere else, and if so where? This may seem obvious to you guys, but it's totally opaque to me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #12
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I thought installing debugging tools would initiate a crash dump, but after I crashed I couldn't find a *.dmp file on my system anywhere. Do I have to initiate this process somewhere else, and if so where? This may seem obvious to you guys, but it's totally opaque to me.
Perhaps its there, but just hidden from you. Have you enabled the "show hidden files" function?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #13
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I thought installing debugging tools would initiate a crash dump, but after I crashed I couldn't find a *.dmp file on my system anywhere. Do I have to initiate this process somewhere else, and if so where? This may seem obvious to you guys, but it's totally opaque to me.
Perhaps its there, but just hidden from you. Have you enabled the "show hidden files" function?
No, there just aren't any. Again, how do you *initiate* the logging of *.dmp files. That seems like step 1, so if that's omitted from the tutorial the debugger tools aren't much use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #14
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
No, there just aren't any. Again, how do you *initiate* the logging of *.dmp files. That seems like step 1, so if that's omitted from the tutorial the debugger tools aren't much use.
Click on "Start"
Open "Control Panel"
Open "System & Security"
Click on "System"
Click on "Advanced system settings" (on the left side of the window)
This will open the Systems Properties box.
Click on the "Advanced" tab.
Click on the "Settings" button in the Setup and recovery section.
Tic the box "Write an event to the system log"
Choose the type of dump you want (Kernal or Small)
Decide if you want to overwrite the existing dumps or keep the old and the new
"OK" your way back out

Edit: This is usually not necessary as Win7 usually installs with the correct boxes checked, but sometimes it doesn't... dunno why. Happy bug hunting!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #15
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
No, there just aren't any. Again, how do you *initiate* the logging of *.dmp files. That seems like step 1, so if that's omitted from the tutorial the debugger tools aren't much use.
Click on "Start"
Open "Control Panel"
Open "System & Security"
Click on "System"
Click on "Advanced system settings" (on the left side of the window)
This will open the Systems Properties box.
Click on the "Advanced" tab.
Click on the "Settings" button in the Setup and recovery section.
Tic the box "Write an event to the system log"
Choose the type of dump you want (Kernal or Small)
Decide if you want to overwrite the existing dumps or keep the old and the new
"OK" your way back out

Edit: This is usually not necessary as Win7 usually installs with the correct boxes checked, but sometimes it doesn't... dunno why. Happy bug hunting!
These were already checked, and it's supposedly saving a log file with the extension *.dmp, but I couldn't find it. Where would it be located? I suspect it's in one of those folders I don't have access too, even as administrator, unless I ask for it. (This is an irritating aspect of Windows 7.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #16
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
These were already checked, and it's supposedly saving a log file with the extension *.dmp, but I couldn't find it. Where would it be located? I suspect it's in one of those folders I don't have access too, even as administrator, unless I ask for it. (This is an irritating aspect of Windows 7.)
Well, we've reached the end of my knowledge. If the system is set to save a minidump, and you're allowed to see the hidden files and folders, then you should be able to see the minidump files. Unless your system is crashing without blue screening, then no minidumps are created.

Start a new thread in this subforum and ask for more help... someone far more knowledgeable will be glad to help. Sorry!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #17
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by feiquzhi View Post
Hi H2SO4,

why my windbg stop at

Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
 
Loading Dump File [C:\1.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available
DbsSplayTreeRangeMap::Add: ignoring zero-sized range at ?ffffffff`83f3ead4?
Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\temp*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.16385.x86fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0x83e18000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x83f60810
Debug session time: Fri Dec 11 05:27:07.971 2009 (GMT+8)
System Uptime: 0 days 9:30:09.750
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
................................................................
...............................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
....................
i wait it for about 2 hours.Crazy

If the dump stops at this point, type !analyze -v in the kd> command line

Hope this helps. . .

jcgriff2

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #18
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
If the system is set to save a minidump, and you're allowed to see the hidden files and folders, then you should be able to see the minidump files. Unless your system is crashing without blue screening, then no minidumps are created.

Start a new thread in this subforum and ask for more help... someone far more knowledgeable will be glad to help. Sorry!
Thanks. Actually it was set to save a kernel dump and I changed it to minidump, but I still should have been able to see the kernel dump, right? Yes, there aren't any blue screens... it just freezes. I just did a clean install on another disk and then used Easy Transfer, so I'm in the middle of re-installing all my software. Hopefully I won't be crashing after that, unless it's a hardware problem. I suspect the issue was that I was running windows on a dynamic disk, which also had a basic partition on the same disk that couldn't be altered. It's wierd, and I still haven't fixed it, but now at least my system isn't on that crazy dynamic disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #19
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Thanks. Actually it was set to save a kernel dump and I changed it to minidump, but I still should have been able to see the kernel dump, right? Yes, there aren't any blue screens... it just freezes. I just did a clean install on another disk and then used Easy Transfer, so I'm in the middle of re-installing all my software. Hopefully I won't be crashing after that, unless it's a hardware problem. I suspect the issue was that I was running windows on a dynamic disk, which also had a basic partition on the same disk that couldn't be altered. It's wierd, and I still haven't fixed it, but now at least my system isn't on that crazy dynamic disk.
OK, if it just freezes and doesn't give you a classic BSOD, then there won't be a minidump. You could check in the Event Viewer (enter "event viewer" in search) for error messages, sometimes the problem will show up in one of the categories in there. But with any luck, the reinstall will fix the problem. Freezes are notoriously hard to diagnose... they could be anything from antivirus vs. firewall conflicts to driver issues to hardware problems like a dying/inadequate power supply... and many more. Hope the reinstall works!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #20
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
OK, if it just freezes and doesn't give you a classic BSOD, then there won't be a minidump. You could check in the Event Viewer (enter "event viewer" in search) for error messages, sometimes the problem will show up in one of the categories in there. But with any luck, the reinstall will fix the problem. Freezes are notoriously hard to diagnose... they could be anything from antivirus vs. firewall conflicts to driver issues to hardware problems like a dying/inadequate power supply... and many more. Hope the reinstall works!
No such luck. Still freezes. The time freezes too, so when I reboot I'll check the event viewer around that time to see what happened. (Clock is stuck on 3:49PM.) It's definitely *not* the power supply, because I've swapped out a couple of them to no effect. I have a KVM switch that I've been using, but it has never done this before. And I'm currently submitting this from my MacBook as my Win7 box is frozen, so I'm not sure why half the KVM switch would be working. Plus, plugging in other mice and keyboards don't help the matter. I wish there was some way to recover from this other than a hard reboot. Those are really hard on the system, especially when they happen about once a day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Configuring the "Debugging Tools"




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Fresh Win7 Install "Failure Configuring Windows Updates"
Doing a fresh oem win7 sp1 pro x64 install. After initial setup allowed Windows update to do It's thing (146 updates). Upon reboot I get the message "failure configuring windows updates" Have read extensively re. this issue but, unfortunately, have not found a definitive resolution. ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Error Message "Failure configuring Windows update"
I have Win 7 ultimate. For the past few months my computer tries to download the updates and install them automatically, but it does not complete them. I get the error message as above and informs "Reverting the changes". What does this mean and how to fix this problem ? Thanks for the help.:)
Windows Updates & Activation
Google "More" and "Search Tools" buttons no longer working...
Sometime over the last few weeks Google's "More" drop-down and its "Search Tools" menu items have quit working in IE10. The other buttons that let you select web, images, shopping, etc. still work properly. The "More" and "Search Tools" buttons get focus when the mouse is over them and they...
Browsers & Mail
"Failure configuring updates" message - advice please!
Hi everyone, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP laptop and I have automatic Windows updates activated. Earlier today when I finished a session, 6 updates were installed. I've just switched the computer on again and got the message "Configuring Windows updates" as often happens...
Windows Updates & Activation
Which Setting for "Write Debugging Information"
I have been having a recurring BSOD problem. I have ran memtest86 overnight and came back to find 0 errors which was surprising since I had assumed that was my problem. Now I am trying to open my dump file and having some trouble. I just switched my setting so the system doesn't automatically...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App