Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Configuring the "Debugging Tools"

30 Dec 2009   #21
Arraytext

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Thank you for this tutorial. When I tried to set up the file association (3rd step) it told me I don't have administrator privileges to do it. It also won't let me mess with the dump files in the folder. I copied one to the desktop and zipped it there, also opened it in windbg. There's no other administrator. Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2009   #22
Arraytext

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Admin problems with minidump

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Thanks Geo64 and zigzag! Got it to work!

For any noobs who follow:
1. Open a command prompt as an admin, that'll give you:
"C:\Windows\system32>"

2. Enter "chdir /d C:\debuggers"... this will give you a new prompt "C:\debuggers"

3. Enter "windbg.exe -IA" and Et Voila!

Thanks again guys!
I'm tracking this as a noob and have only one obstacle: it doesn't like me opening files in the minidump folder. I can copy and paste them to the desktop and open them there, but it gives me grief from the minidump folder--which has a lock icon on it. How do I set this straight? Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #23
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arraytext View Post
I'm tracking this as a noob and have only one obstacle: it doesn't like me opening files in the minidump folder. I can copy and paste them to the desktop and open them there, but it gives me grief from the minidump folder--which has a lock icon on it. How do I set this straight? Thanks
Sounds like a permissions problem. Try this Take Ownership tutorial and see if it fixes the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Feb 2010   #24
sadon

windows 7
 
 

that is really helpful.
I am using BlueScreenView on my win 7 64 bit and i will switch to windows debugger.


thanks alot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #25
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

You can also run BlueScreenView at an elevated admin level - RIGHT-click on icon, select "Run as Admin"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #26
FredC

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

First, thank you guys for the work you did to put this particular page together and to continue its development. It helped me figure out my problem and resolution.

While investigating a fix to my own issue with the recommendation above, I came across a nice tool to compliment and confirm this one. It came from the following website, Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files., from NirSoft, and is totally free. It helps analyze (analyse) MiniDump files.

It, just like the one in the MS WDK package, breaks down the analysis of the BSOD Memory MiniDumps, and while not creating the huge and detailed analysis of the MS tool, it creates a very succinct one and highlights the probable cause very nicely. And, does so in microseconds. It is a very simple process and extremely easy to use. I highly recommend it too.

My compliments to all you guys that contribute heavily in this forum, you make it great to know that there are great people willing to help for nothing more than the satisfaction of helping! Thank you mush!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2010   #27
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FredC View Post
First, thank you guys for the work you did to put this particular page together and to continue its development. It helped me figure out my problem and resolution.

While investigating a fix to my own issue with the recommendation above, I came across a nice tool to compliment and confirm this one. It came from the following website, Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files., from NirSoft, and is totally free. It helps analyze (analyse) MiniDump files.

It, just like the one in the MS WDK package, breaks down the analysis of the BSOD Memory MiniDumps, and while not creating the huge and detailed analysis of the MS tool, it creates a very succinct one and highlights the probable cause very nicely. And, does so in microseconds. It is a very simple process and extremely easy to use. I highly recommend it too.

My compliments to all you guys that contribute heavily in this forum, you make it great to know that there are great people willing to help for nothing more than the satisfaction of helping! Thank you mush!

The app from NirSoft = BlueScreenView, as mentioned by others

jcgriff2

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2011   #28
Music46

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Guys has the tut changed... as its 2 years old... or can we still use the above method to still debug?

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2011   #29
yowanvista

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Music46 View Post
Guys has the tut changed... as its 2 years old... or can we still use the above method to still debug?

Thanks
Yes it still works
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2011   #30
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 
WinDBG as the default handler for dump files....

This may help.

My windbg is installed in C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)

So for me worked that simple command.....


Attached Thumbnails
-panais.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Configuring the "Debugging Tools"




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Fresh Win7 Install "Failure Configuring Windows Updates"
Doing a fresh oem win7 sp1 pro x64 install. After initial setup allowed Windows update to do It's thing (146 updates). Upon reboot I get the message "failure configuring windows updates" Have read extensively re. this issue but, unfortunately, have not found a definitive resolution. ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Error Message "Failure configuring Windows update"
I have Win 7 ultimate. For the past few months my computer tries to download the updates and install them automatically, but it does not complete them. I get the error message as above and informs "Reverting the changes". What does this mean and how to fix this problem ? Thanks for the help.:)
Windows Updates & Activation
Google "More" and "Search Tools" buttons no longer working...
Sometime over the last few weeks Google's "More" drop-down and its "Search Tools" menu items have quit working in IE10. The other buttons that let you select web, images, shopping, etc. still work properly. The "More" and "Search Tools" buttons get focus when the mouse is over them and they...
Browsers & Mail
"Failure configuring updates" message - advice please!
Hi everyone, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP laptop and I have automatic Windows updates activated. Earlier today when I finished a session, 6 updates were installed. I've just switched the computer on again and got the message "Configuring Windows updates" as often happens...
Windows Updates & Activation
Which Setting for "Write Debugging Information"
I have been having a recurring BSOD problem. I have ran memtest86 overnight and came back to find 0 errors which was surprising since I had assumed that was my problem. Now I am trying to open my dump file and having some trouble. I just switched my setting so the system doesn't automatically...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App