Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Start menu revisited, I guess


04 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Start menu revisited, I guess

I've looked through dozens of posts about customizing the Start menu to act more like XP so you could at least hold your mouse over the start menu and have it expand w/o having to click on each program. (Have put a tick on "Open submenus...)

Anything new with that. It's driving me nuts. Seems like we're back to the stone age. I'm all for progress but if it makes you work harder to get to the same place as Xp....what's that all about.

Thanks doctor...I feel better now.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Aug 2010   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

<--- *just uses search and rarely ever has to traverse the start menu. Also just puts program shortcuts into the root removing the extra crap like the uninstaller shortcut*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
 
 
Vista Start Menu

I hate Windows 7 start menu and after a week replaced it with:
Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu
This does everything I need and seems pretty much like XP did.
I challenge anyone to type stuff into search and find it quicker than this menu does - simply because with use you know where the links will be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Aug 2010   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kenC View Post
I challenge anyone to type stuff into search and find it quicker than this menu does - simply because with use you know where the links will be.
I do all the time. Windows Key > "visu" enter, Visual Studio launches. I don't even had to look anymore, it learned to associate "visu" with Visual Studio. Even with typing using a single hand its is much faster then moving the mouse.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
 
 

What do you type if it's a prog. you last used a month ago and you can't remember the name ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #6

 
 

*.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #7
Ivo

Windows 7 Home 64, Vista Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thewolfe View Post
I've looked through dozens of posts about customizing the Start menu to act more like XP so you could at least hold your mouse over the start menu and have it expand w/o having to click on each program. (Have put a tick on "Open submenus...)

Anything new with that. It's driving me nuts. Seems like we're back to the stone age. I'm all for progress but if it makes you work harder to get to the same place as Xp....what's that all about.

Thanks doctor...I feel better now.
The latest Classic Shell (2.8.3) can open the All Programs as a cascading menu. You can hover with the mouse over a folder and it will expand. If you are true hover fan, you can also set it up to open the start menu just by hovering over the start button
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #8

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
If you are true hover fan.....
Name:  llamacopter.gif
Views: 118
Size:  3.8 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kenC View Post
What do you type if it's a prog. you last used a month ago and you can't remember the name ??
Then it is right in the root of the start menu. In either case I never had that problem. I don't need to remember the full name just how it starts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2010   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Can't get my individual programs to expand when I hold my mouse over an installed program. I have to click on it to drill down. "Open sub menus when I......." is checked. Is there a secret or is there something else I have to do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Start menu revisited, I guess




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33