Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Icon problem, shield

10 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Icon problem, shield

Hi. I have a problem with some of my icons. I am unable to change them. They are just a green, blue, yellow and red shield. I'm attaching a picture of the icon. What can I do to make the icons "normal" ?

Thanks.



Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Aug 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

What programs are affected by this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Do you mean what file types? If so, all file types that are not "normal". Like .srt, .cfg, .l6s, .dat, .dmp files.

Edit: Looks like all these files with the shield icon opens with Windows Shell Common Dll.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Aug 2010   #4

Windows Seven Home Premium 32bit SP1
 
 

Hallo Semidead have a look at these tutorials & see if they help;

Icon Cache - Rebuild

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell64 View Post
Hallo Semidead have a look at these tutorials & see if they help;

Icon Cache - Rebuild

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Nothing worked.. Any more ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #6
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Semidead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell64 View Post
Hallo Semidead have a look at these tutorials & see if they help;

Icon Cache - Rebuild

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Nothing worked.. Any more ideas?
If after running Sfc /scannow the situation is as before, we have only a few options left . First, try a system restore from a previous date , and if it is also not working , probably there is only one way left , that is Repair Install .

Can you remind what you have done just before the change took place ? any update, program installation, disk cleanup or virus check ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Semidead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell64 View Post
Hallo Semidead have a look at these tutorials & see if they help;

Icon Cache - Rebuild

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Nothing worked.. Any more ideas?
If after running Sfc /scannow the situation is as before, we have only a few options left . First, try a system restore from a previous date , and if it is also not working , probably there is only one way left , that is Repair Install .

Can you remind what you have done just before the change took place ? any update, program installation, disk cleanup or virus check ?
Hmm, I dont have a system restore from when before it happened. But I think I remember when it happened. When I installed a software for changing icons..I can't remember the name, though. Will check into it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

So you have changed icons using a third party program . Does the program have any backup mechanism , or any mechanism to apply windows default icons back ?

Probably the icon theme (or icon pack) you are using dont have the appropriate icons for thse files you mentioned .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I fixed the problem by downloading IconPackager and changing the icons from there. Thanks for the assistance!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #10
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Semidead View Post
I fixed the problem by downloading IconPackager and changing the icons from there. Thanks for the assistance!
Intelligent
Thanks for posting back the solution .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Icon problem, shield




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Icon problem, shield
Thread Forum
HoN Desktop Icon: UAC shield General Discussion
Shield icon as .dll? General Discussion
Solved Remove shield icon General Discussion
Shield sign on icon(s) (not the "usual" problem) General Discussion
Solved Blue and yellow shield icon. General Discussion
Shield icon General Discussion
right click COMPUTER icon, MANAGE has SHIELD by it General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33