Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Get rid of the libraries?


09 Jan 2011   #11

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Ho Hum... Why not get rid of the file structure altogether and just have one big folder.
Libraries have nothing at all to do with file structure.

Using a single folder is not a problem with the right software.

Change is not always progress.........

Regards....Mike Connor
I am aware that libraries are nothing to do with the file structure they are a tool to help in grouping and organizing folders. I find them very useful. I just find it incredible that some people automatically reject anything new and hark back to the good old days of XP.
Not according to Microsoft;

QUOTE
With Windows 7, the concept of Libraries tries to address the problem of users storing content all over their PC by allowing them to have full control over their Documents Library folder structure. In other words, in Windows 7 users can define which folders to include in the Documents Library
UNQUOTE

From Inside Windows 7:Introducing Libraries

Just a poor attempt to make up for lack of user knowledge and discipline.

That many find them useful is not at issue, there are just as many more who find them to be a nuisance.

Regards....Mike Connor


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2011   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

So, with 10k folders, how do you find anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #13

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
So, with 10k folders, how do you find anything?
Even I can recognize a rhetorical question.

Truthfully, I didn't think it was that high. But that is what the command says. I'd have guessed 2 or 3 thousand. I never notice it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jan 2011   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

Libraries have nothing at all to do with file structure.

Using a single folder is not a problem with the right software.

Change is not always progress.........

Regards....Mike Connor
I am aware that libraries are nothing to do with the file structure they are a tool to help in grouping and organizing folders. I find them very useful. I just find it incredible that some people automatically reject anything new and hark back to the good old days of XP.
Not according to Microsoft;

QUOTE
With Windows 7, the concept of Libraries tries to address the problem of users storing content all over their PC by allowing them to have full control over their Documents Library folder structure. In other words, in Windows 7 users can define which folders to include in the Documents Library
UNQUOTE

From Inside Windows 7:Introducing Libraries

Just a poor attempt to make up for lack of user knowledge and discipline.

That many find them useful is not at issue, there are just as many more who find them to be a nuisance.

Regards....Mike Connor
It's not just people who store things all over the place, programs do too. Libraries are just a tool, you don't have to use them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #15

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
So, with 10k folders, how do you find anything?
The same way you do now, using either a file manager, or a command line utility. ( Preferably one that works! )

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #16

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post

It's not just people who store things all over the place, programs do too. Libraries are just a tool, you don't have to use them.
Good programs don't !

I know I don't have to use them, that's why I disable and remove them. There are a lot of people who don't want to use them and ARE forced to use them, because they dont know how to get rid of them.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
So, with 10k folders, how do you find anything?
The same way you do now, using either a file manager, or a command line utility. ( Preferably one that works! )

Regards....Mike Connor
I assume Kado is jiving me, but I'll play along while I wait for the football game.

Suppose I download a PDF file that is a manual for a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UDH2 motherboard.

It goes here:

D:\computer\hardware\motherboards and chipsets\Gigabyte

Likewise a live recording made by Ella Fitzgerald goes here:

D:\mp3\pop and jazz\ella fitzgerald\live

It's just a nested series of folders.

How do I find out if I have a particular Ella Fitzgerald live recording?

Well, I know that I wouldn't put the Ella song in the Elvis folder. So, oddly enough, I would navigate to D:\mp3\pop and jazz\ella fitzgerald\live and look.

If I was unorganized generally, I would have all 22,000 mp3s in a single folder and have lost my mind long ago.

You have to be willing to name a file based on its contents. That is--your Gigabyte motherboard manuals can't be named "cool computer stuff".

I have a high powered near-instantaneous file search tool ("Everything"), which can find any file on my system by name within 1 or 2 seconds. I use it occasionally if I think it's quicker than navigating and looking.

But you knew all of that. I'm just playing along with you. As I said, "to each his own".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post

It's not just people who store things all over the place, programs do too. Libraries are just a tool, you don't have to use them.
Good programs don't !

I know I don't have to use them, that's why I disable and remove them. There are a lot of people who don't want to use them and ARE forced to use them, because they dont know how to get rid of them.

Regards....Mike Connor
It's not people who learn about them and try to use them before deciding to get rid of them that I can't understand, it's the people who just dismiss them out of hand because they are different from the way it has always been done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #19

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
So, with 10k folders, how do you find anything?
The same way you do now, using either a file manager, or a command line utility. ( Preferably one that works! )

Regards....Mike Connor
I assume Kado is jiving me, but I'll play along while I wait for the football game.

Suppose I download a PDF file that is a manual for a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UDH2 motherboard.

It goes here:

D:\computer\hardware\motherboards and chipsets\Gigabyte

Likewise a live recording made by Ella Fitzgerald goes here:

D:\mp3\pop and jazz\ella fitzgerald\live

It's just a nested series of folders.

How do I find out if I have a particular Ella Fitzgerald live recording?

Well, I know that I wouldn't put the Ella song in the Elvis folder. So, oddly enough, I would navigate to D:\mp3\pop and jazz\ella fitzgerald\live and look.

If I was unorganized generally, I would have all 22,000 mp3s in a single folder and have lost my mind long ago.

You have to be willing to name a file based on its contents. That is--your Gigabyte motherboard manuals can't be named "cool computer stuff".

I have a high powered near-instantaneous file search tool ("Everything"), which can find any file on my system by name within 1 or 2 seconds. I use it occasionally if I think it's quicker than navigating and looking.

But you knew all of that. I'm just playing along with you. As I said, "to each his own".
Enjoy the game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #20

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post

It's not just people who store things all over the place, programs do too. Libraries are just a tool, you don't have to use them.
Good programs don't !

I know I don't have to use them, that's why I disable and remove them. There are a lot of people who don't want to use them and ARE forced to use them, because they dont know how to get rid of them.

Regards....Mike Connor
It's not people who learn about them and try to use them before deciding to get rid of them that I can't understand, it's the people who just dismiss them out of hand because they are different from the way it has always been done.
I suppose that's fair comment. The problem for most who have tried to use them is not the obvious gains to be had, there is no gainsaying that there are various powerful advantages to using libraries or similar systems under certain circumstances, but the concomitant loss of a nunber of quite simple functions and routes.

Nobody I know who has much to do with computers, ( and that's a large number of people) has dismissed them out of hand, they have generally tried to use them and given up in frustration.

There are also untold numbers of users who simply wanted a faster more reliable system, ( than XP), they did not want a whole slew of, ( to them), dubious "improvements" in the user interface.

There are lots of various groups and factions involved here, and I suspect that those who "dismiss out of hand", are not that really large a group all told.

Whatever, just a few thoughts on the matter.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Get rid of the libraries?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Get rid of the libraries?
Thread Forum
Solved WMP 12 & Libraries. Music, Pictures & Video
How do I open XP icon libraries which have libraries within them General Discussion
Libraries General Discussion
win 7 libraries General Discussion
Libraries ugh General Discussion
Libraries : the way it should be General Discussion
Libraries again - General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33