Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Organize the Start Menu


13 Jan 2009   #1

Windows 7 Build 7000
 
 
Organize the Start Menu

This is a huge thing for a very retentive person like myself. Since about Window 95 I've been able to right-click on the start menu and 'explore all users'.

I use this to then go into the start menu for all users and organize the crap out of it into folders. In Windows 7, it's gone. OK, so I found where the start menu items are stored in:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I can move items around to existing folders with 'administrator permission', I can create a new folder, but not rename it. There error I receive is something to the effect of 'The action can not be completed because the folder or file is open in another location'

Any thoughts?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2009   #2

Windows Seven 64-bit
 
 

Turn off User account control. That should let you rename folders and such.

Open control panel and then click on the user settings. then click on user accounts and click change user account controls.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 and Ubuntu
 
 

I don't have this path in Windows 7. Do I have to adjust settings to unhide these folders or something?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

The open/explore all users is available if you right click on the all programs entry at the bottom of the main start menu or on individual folders in the all programs menu.

And yes these are hidden system folders

See: Start Menu All Programs - Add or Delete Shortcuts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #5

Windows 7 and Ubuntu
 
 

Thanks Barman, that did the trick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #6

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

There is a long list of annoying icons for programs over the folders in all programs. When I click on all programs, I'm generally looking for a folder and do not want to have to scroll through a list of chaff to get to the start of the folder list. Using the information above, I got rid of most of it. There are still several however that will not go away. I don't see them in the directory to move them. The ones I cannot find are: Default Programs, New Office Document, Open Office Document, Sierra Utilities, and Windows Update. How do I move them to a storage folder. I don't want to delete them, I just want to get them out of the way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
There is a long list of annoying icons for programs over the folders in all programs. When I click on all programs, I'm generally looking for a folder and do not want to have to scroll through a list of chaff to get to the start of the folder list. Using the information above, I got rid of most of it. There are still several however that will not go away. I don't see them in the directory to move them. The ones I cannot find are: Default Programs, New Office Document, Open Office Document, Sierra Utilities, and Windows Update. How do I move them to a storage folder. I don't want to delete them, I just want to get them out of the way.
You'll find all the start menu items in these locations.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Windows Update is located here.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

ProgramData and AppData Are hidden use Step 3 this tutorial to unhide them File and Folder - Hide or Unhide
Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2012   #8

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
There is a long list of annoying icons for programs over the folders in all programs. When I click on all programs, I'm generally looking for a folder and do not want to have to scroll through a list of chaff to get to the start of the folder list. Using the information above, I got rid of most of it. There are still several however that will not go away. I don't see them in the directory to move them. The ones I cannot find are: Default Programs, New Office Document, Open Office Document, Sierra Utilities, and Windows Update. How do I move them to a storage folder. I don't want to delete them, I just want to get them out of the way.
You'll find all the start menu items in these locations.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Windows Update is located here.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

ProgramData and AppData Are hidden use Step 3 this tutorial to unhide them File and Folder - Hide or Unhide
Jerry
Thanks for the reply. aaaaa! I get it! Silly me . Now that I have made a Start Menu folder under all programs, I can just drag and drop the start menu icons above the folders into it.

I wonder why someone decided to put all that clutter into all programs in stead of putting them into a folder. It sure would remove a lot of clutter, Look better, and use up a whole lot less real estate under all programs. Sure... they are easier to find; but if you don't need them, it's a also lot to wade through to get to where you want to go. well.. anyway, thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
There is a long list of annoying icons for programs over the folders in all programs. When I click on all programs, I'm generally looking for a folder and do not want to have to scroll through a list of chaff to get to the start of the folder list. Using the information above, I got rid of most of it. There are still several however that will not go away. I don't see them in the directory to move them. The ones I cannot find are: Default Programs, New Office Document, Open Office Document, Sierra Utilities, and Windows Update. How do I move them to a storage folder. I don't want to delete them, I just want to get them out of the way.
You'll find all the start menu items in these locations.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Windows Update is located here.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

ProgramData and AppData Are hidden use Step 3 this tutorial to unhide them File and Folder - Hide or Unhide
Jerry
Thanks for the reply. aaaaa! I get it! Silly me . Now that I have made a Start Menu folder under all programs, I can just drag and drop the start menu icons above the folders into it.

I wonder why someone decided to put all that clutter into all programs in stead of putting them into a folder. It sure would remove a lot of clutter, Look better, and use up a whole lot less real estate under all programs. Sure... they are easier to find; but if you don't need them, it's a also lot to wade through to get to where you want to go. well.. anyway, thanks again.
You're welcome, I did the same thing a long time ago I didn't like all that clutter up there either makes it a lot more simpler.
Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2012   #10

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

I got rid of all the chaff, and when I updated one of my startup programs, it was right back in all programs. It's not hard to drop it into the startup folder, but does anyone know if there is there a way to get Win 7 to stop putting startup programs under all programs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Organize the Start Menu




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33