Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to change Windows 7 startup sound


21 Oct 2010   #21

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
oops...sorry.

Thanks um, I found the problem... Lol... I used reshack to listen to the sound... I expected to hear the sound I placed in there but it played the same sound from before. Lol... I restarted my computer and -poof- there it was. My sound played and I was satisfied.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Oct 2010   #22

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No worries, glad you got it working and thanks for posting back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #23

win 7 ultimate 32&64
 
 

Doesn't work, followed directions exactly from the Hacker 3.5 beta went to restart and bohold, upon loading: keeps taking me to black screen had to use my repair disk for system restore.




revised,
ok just figured out it does work, have to run hacker 3.5 as admin, also have to make sure
user acount for login is on if you disable it; "at least for me i get the black screen" loading after gui start animation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jan 2011   #24

windows Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Here is tutorial a little neater I think

Startup Sound - Change in Windows 7

Change startup sound in windows 7
How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

1) Use the following beta program Reshacker from
Download Resource Hacker 3.5.0.82 Beta / 3.4.0.79 - Analyze, change, add, erase or extract resources in EXE and DLL files - Softpedia

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that.

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory

Now I used this reshacker instead as I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/reshack_setup.exe

I also downloaded the 'Take Ownership' file from our forums here - Take Ownership Shortcut

I then took ownership of the imageres.dll in System32 folder, so I could change the extension to .old
That way I was able to copy the new imageres.dll file into that folder.

This worked perfectly for me then
Ok. I done all those steps and when I reboot the computer the sound doesn't change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #25

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Why it doesn't change for you I don't really know. I used the reshacker under step 8, not the first link in step 1.

I found that made a difference for me. And the size of the replacement startup sound I believe makes a difference.

Read through some of the other posts, to see what worked for others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2011   #26

windows Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Why it doesn't change for you I don't really know. I used the reshacker under step 8, not the first link in step 1.

I found that made a difference for me. And the size of the replacement startup sound I believe makes a difference.

Read through some of the other posts, to see what worked for others.
I did it exactly what you wrote and the sound still same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok , try running the resource hacker in Admin mode, by right-clicking it, then choosing 'run as administrator.

That could be the issue, or there is something wrong with your wav file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #28

windows Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Ok , try running the resource hacker in Admin mode, by right-clicking it, then choosing 'run as administrator.

That could be the issue, or there is something wrong with your wav file.
No idea how do I go to the administratormode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You just right-click on ResHacker.exe and then choose 'run as Administrator' like pictured below





If your creating your own, perhaps try this alienware startup sound that I used on my husbands Alienware pc with Windows 7 ultimate x64

YouTube - Alienware Computer Startup Sound
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #30

windows Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rose1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Here is tutorial a little neater I think

Startup Sound - Change in Windows 7

Change startup sound in windows 7
How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

1) Use the following beta program Reshacker from
Download Resource Hacker 3.5.0.82 Beta / 3.4.0.79 - Analyze, change, add, erase or extract resources in EXE and DLL files - Softpedia

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that.

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory

Now I used this reshacker instead as I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/reshack_setup.exe

I also downloaded the 'Take Ownership' file from our forums here - Take Ownership Shortcut

I then took ownership of the imageres.dll in System32 folder, so I could change the extension to .old
That way I was able to copy the new imageres.dll file into that folder.

This worked perfectly for me then
Ok. I done all those steps and when I reboot the computer the sound doesn't change.
Where is the Vista's system 32 folder on windows 7 to save it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to change Windows 7 startup sound




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to change Windows 7 startup sound
Thread Forum
Startup Sound - Change in Windows 7 Tutorials
How to change the Windows 7 startup sound? Sound & Audio
Solved Windows 7 Startup change? General Discussion
Change Startup Sound? Sound & Audio
Change startup sound without a dll hack! Customization
Can you change the startup sound? Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33