Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: removing "press any key to continue"?

30 May 2012   #31
proudtobegreek

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
It appears from the screen shot you posted that the JMicron port does have one of the hard drives plugged into it.
That is why you are being prompted.

Bios is asking "are you sure you want to boot that device?"
That's how it seems to me too, except the OP is not really getting a choice.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Plug both hard drives into the ICH 8 ports and the prompt will be gone.
Wish I would have caught that earlier.
I had a feeling it was something simple.

I'm wondering if the OP is using the PCI-e card as a way to attach the IDE drive rather than using the port available on the motherboard itself. Or is that not a true physical PCI-e card referenced in that screenshot?
cannot plug both drives to SATA slots,one ATA and one IDE,and it should not be a physical PCI card as shown.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 May 2012   #32
proudtobegreek

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
It appears from the screen shot you posted that the JMicron port does have one of the hard drives plugged into it.
That is why you are being prompted.

Bios is asking "are you sure you want to boot that device?"
That's how it seems to me too, except the OP is not really getting a choice.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Plug both hard drives into the ICH 8 ports and the prompt will be gone.
Wish I would have caught that earlier.
I had a feeling it was something simple.

I'm wondering if the OP is using the PCI-e card as a way to attach the IDE drive rather than using the port available on the motherboard itself. Or is that not a true physical PCI-e card referenced in that screenshot?
Im not using a PCI to connect the second drive so that makes the reference not true.
sorry about the double quote.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #33
Duzzy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If we are talking about the motherboard listed in your specs then the IDE port is also controlled by the JMicron controller.
removing "press any key to continue"?-msi_ms-7235.jpg

Try this, go into BIOS > Integrated Peripherals > On-Chip ATA Devices. Here you should find "On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE" and probably as a sub option of this should be "IDE\RAID Control".

"On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE" should already be enabled as you can use the IDE port.
"IDE\RAID Control" should be set to IDE or disabled.

Try that and let us know how it goes.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 May 2012   #34
gregrocker

 

In addition it appears the menu you are getting does not allow you to select a HD to boot, correct? If so then it may not be a boot menu but a controller screen showing the attached HD's. In that case there should be a way to hide the screen via a setting in BIOS. Look at the available SATA controller settings closely.

If not then I'd want to try all available SATA/IDE port combinations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #35
proudtobegreek

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

DUZZY,disabled the controller,no prompt but also no second disk,no optical.
GREGROCKER,the menu does not ask for a selection,it is stating the detection and finding of second drive WDC-IDE and the optical,prompts for a key and boots on its own from Hitachi-ATA as it should of course.By combinations do you mean physical slots or via bios?
I really dont want to make all you guys getting tired,sure you got plenty of your own concernes...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #36
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

don't know if this would affect anything, but I know HDD's have jumpers on them that designate them as master or slave. Maybe the jumper on the IDE is set incorrectly. Haven't had any machines with a mix of HDD's... just thought i'd throw that out there....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #37
gregrocker

 

This is what we do. We keep working at it until it's solved.

See how the jumper is set on WD: How to physically install, set jumper settings, and set up a Serial ATA, EIDE, or SSD drive in Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000

I may have missed it but have you tried plugging the SATA HD into the ICH8 controller?

Did you check all settings in BIOS for one to hide the controller screen?

I would also access your Manual on the MSI Support Downloads webpage for your model to read how to configure this so that the screen is bypassed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #38
Duzzy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by proudtobegreek View Post
DUZZY,disabled the controller,no prompt but also no second disk,no optical.
The actual controller (On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE) should be left enabled but change the "IDE\RAID Control" to IDE going by the image I found via Google. Is this what you tried? If not check the image and set as highlighted.
removing "press any key to continue"?-msi_ms-7235_bios.jpg
If I have my SATA connections set as RAID I get an extra screen after the first POST screen which gives me the chance to create/edit RAID Arrays and displays the drives connected but when set to IDE this screen is not shown and I thought this would be the same for you, although your manual states to press the key to open the RAID setup screen during POST.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #39
proudtobegreek

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is what we do. We keep working at it until it's solved.

See how the jumper is set on WD: How to physically install, set jumper settings, and set up a Serial ATA, EIDE, or SSD drive in Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000

I may have missed it but have you tried plugging the SATA HD into the ICH8 controller?

Did you check all settings in BIOS for one to hide the controller screen?

I would also access your Manual on the MSI Support Downloads webpage for your model to read how to configure this so that the screen is bypassed.
Jumper is set on pins 5-6 dual master
SATA HD is plugged into ICH8 slot,namely SATA4
believe that checked thoroughly for option to hide(already logo hidden etc)
trying to find manual...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #40
proudtobegreek

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by proudtobegreek View Post
DUZZY,disabled the controller,no prompt but also no second disk,no optical.
The actual controller (On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE) should be left enabled but change the "IDE\RAID Control" to IDE going by the image I found via Google. Is this what you tried? If not check the image and set as highlighted.
Attachment 214362
If I have my SATA connections set as RAID I get an extra screen after the first POST screen which gives me the chance to create/edit RAID Arrays and displays the drives connected but when set to IDE this screen is not shown and I thought this would be the same for you, although your manual states to press the key to open the RAID setup screen during POST.
These were and are again exactly the settings,when IDE-RAID disabled,"lost" second and optical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 removing "press any key to continue"?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Setup can't continue." Windows 7 Repair Install
I've been trying to repair install Windows 7 (SP1) and every time I get to the second step (Gathering files, settings, and programs) it cancels itself and displays this message: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67160627/error.jpg When I click OK, it brings me back to the desktop....
Installation & Setup
"Unable to Continue" Error When Attempting to Synchronize Time
(I'll tell you some background before I get to the issue in case there is something related) I recently cleaned my computer case (took it all apart and vacuumed it out). When I plugged everything back in and tried to boot up, all of my BIOS settings had cleared and I had to re-enter/set them...
General Discussion
"A Disk Read Error Occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
After my Gateway LT280u loads the F2 and F12 screen a black screen Follows saying: "A Disk Read Error Occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I have tried and tried again to get it to start. Will take any advice to try to fix Computer problem (It seems F8 doesn't work when pressed either)
General Discussion
"Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue." Error
Hi, I hope I'm not asking this for the millionth time here, as I tried a search but am afraid it all just confused me more. I believe my problem is related to the Dell all-in-one printer I want to work with my Dell laptop. Recently, Windows updated and I now get this message again upon start up:...
General Discussion
Password required instead of clicking " yes ' ot " continue "
On an admin account, if I want to, say, download/install a program, UAC will ask for confirmation, and clicking " yes " will get it to start downloading. I wonder if I can make the system asking for password instead of giving the option of " yes " or " continue ". Like it does to a standard...
System Security
"Registry area appears locked. Cannot continue" error
Hi, I've just about completed the migration of my XP programs to my new Windows 7 x64 installation. All my programs work (astronomy related) except for one - MaxPoint by Diffraction Limited. The program installs correctly (no errors), but when I run it for the first time, I get a "Registry area...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App