Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Personal Folders

11 Sep 2009   #1
Rohm69z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 
Personal Folders

I have relocated my personal folders from my C:drive(0s&Programs)to my D:drive(personal docs.)By creating new folders on my d:driver then going to my c:driver users folder & relocating them to my d:drive.Everything went fine.Now three days later when I go to open my personal folders on d:drive I have two peronslal folders of each music,pictures,docs,etc......Proporties for one folder is d:drive the other is c:drive for each.What should I do with the c:drive folders?Delete them,Move them back to c:drive?I am not sure what to do.I do not want to loose files on d:drive.Any help would be appreciated,Thank You


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Sep 2009   #2
johngalt

 

How did you relocate them, using the personal folder properties dialog?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #3
rightspin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I dont know how to fix it, but while waiting for someone who does, you could try to copy the contents of the c:drive folders to the d:drive so that you dont lose any data and then just try to delete them. Reboot and see if they are there again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Sep 2009   #4
Antman

 

MOve the folder contents, if any, to the desired location. Confirm that your shell folder assignment is still intact - check the properties of the offending folder; if it does not have the Location tab, it is safe to delete.

Something contained or called a reference to the original path and created the folder. A common occurrence. In all likelihood, that incoorrect reference has been corrected - and if not, it is in the settings/preferences of one of your apps that uses or creates content in the referenced folder.

Not a biggie.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #5
Rohm69z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
How did you relocate them, using the personal folder properties dialog?
Yes.I followed all of the personal folder properties dialog.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #6
johngalt

 

Since you followed the correct procedure, then Antman is correct.

For Posterity's sake, do the Links Personal folder again - that should be the last one that you do as it updates the system link redirects to the proper places - and after that the only time you have duplicates is if you run a really old application that is hard coded to use C:\ for its shell folders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #7
Rohm69z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
Since you followed the correct procedure, then Antman is correct.

For Posterity's sake, do the Links Personal folder again - that should be the last one that you do as it updates the system link redirects to the proper places - and after that the only time you have duplicates is if you run a really old application that is hard coded to use C:\ for its shell folders.
All is well !Thanks to Antman & Johngalt!!!! Thank you guys for the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #8
Rohm69z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
MOve the folder contents, if any, to the desired location. Confirm that your shell folder assignment is still intact - check the properties of the offending folder; if it does not have the Location tab, it is safe to delete.

Something contained or called a reference to the original path and created the folder. A common occurrence. In all likelihood, that incoorrect reference has been corrected - and if not, it is in the settings/preferences of one of your apps that uses or creates content in the referenced folder.

Not a biggie.
Thank you Antman!!!All is well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Personal Folders




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need help with relocating personal user folders
I hope someone can help me on this multi-part related problem I am having. A few weeks ago I did a fresh os install on a ssd and moved my old hd to be "D" for storage. pix, music, dl's etc. I wanted to place the user folder in the "D" drive so I Made a folder in the "D" drive called for...
Installation & Setup
Repeal move personal folders
Personally, I move the image folder on the other drive, because I previously did a folder I changed the entire disk image to a folder. When I try to repeal moved me write: Establishment of a list of subfolders under "G: \ System Volume Information" has failed. Access is denied
Customization
Using personal icons on folders how to?
On PC #1 I can change a folder icon to whatever I want for easy I.D. But on PC #2 If I try the same to change the folder icon it doesn't change. (both r win7 x64) On both machines only one user acct - Administrator. Folder > properties > customize > change icon >etc
General Discussion
Problems With Personal User Folders
Sorry. But I Have A problems Again I Lost My Downloads Folder Default Icon In Personal User Location http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3274/26154959.th.png But In Drive E: ... http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8074/30661652.th.png
General Discussion
Personal folders visible on network
I am having a weird issue. I have a network with 3 PC's and 2 PS3's. 1. My PC-Win 7 2. Roommate's-Vista Home Premium 3. His girlfriend's- Vista Home Premium
Network & Sharing
My personal folders are shared
Hi All, How do i stop my personal folder from being shared? I am not part of a homegroup. Under the advanced tab, sharing is not ticked and the 'share with' is set to nobody. Can someone please help? Thanks
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App