Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Classic start menu in windows 7?

01 Sep 2012   #11

Windows 7 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
The OP (that means original poster) is referring to Windows 7, not a Windows server of any kind so Taco's remark in that area is inaccurate, hm?
I personally like not having menu fly-outs all the way across my monitor and find the Windows 7 Start Menu very well done and much more useful than others.
Britton30,
I am aware that the original poster is referring to Windows 7. I merely mentioned Windows Server 2008 because it is, to my knowledge, the latest version of Windows to support the classic start menu, thus the snide remark from logicearth is inaccurate.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Sep 2012   #12

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Windows Server 2008 is Windows Vista, Windows Vista has the classic menu.
Windows Server 2008 R2 is Windows 7, it does not have the classic menu.

You failed to understand my point, the classic menu comes from Windows 95. It is an ancient concept. Regardless if it continued to exists in recent incarnations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #13

Windows 7 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Windows Server 2008 is Windows Vista, Windows Vista has the classic menu.
Windows Server 2008 R2 is Windows 7, it does not have the classic menu.
That's what I said: Windows Server 2008.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
You failed to understand my point, the classic menu comes from Windows 95. It is an ancient concept. Regardless if it continued to exists in recent incarnations.
And your point would be? Device Manager, for example, comes from Windows 95. Should this be removed?
The desktop metaphor was introduced to Windows with Windows 95. By definition, this is an "ancient concept" should it be removed as well?

There is nothing wrong with having a choice, even if the preference is for something that isn't exactly "recent".


I'm not sure how you feel about Windows 8, but complaints about the Start Screen are widespread.
When Windows 7 was in beta, adherents of the Classic (Windows 95) Start Menu were (and are still) told everything from "it's time to move on" to the snide "get over it", yet the same people who rebuked these adherents don't want to lose their Windows 7 Start Menu. Irony at its finest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Sep 2012   #14
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

His point is underlined Taco. Obviously you are trolling, PCs are ancient too by your definition, let's just get rid of them too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #15

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingTaco View Post
Device Manager, for example, comes from Windows 95. Should this be removed?
I know it might be confusing for you since they share the same name, but the Device Manager in Windows 95 is not the Device Manager in Windows 7. Furthermore, Device Manager is not something casual users use, even power/admin users do not use it constantly, making UI updates to it not important.

Quote:
The desktop metaphor was introduced to Windows with Windows 95. By definition, this is an "ancient concept" should it be removed as well?
Obviously, it is being phased out in Windows 8 just the same. So maybe it will be in future versions.

The world is constantly changing, the way we do things changes and evolves. What we thought was a good idea years ago, may not be now. Either you move to something that continues to do what they did in ancient times or you adapt. (In terms of computer technology we advance almost every 6 months, what was new 5 years ago is now ancient in this world.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #16

Windows 7 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
His point is underlined Taco. Obviously you are trolling, PCs are ancient too by your definition, let's just get rid of them too.
I am not trolling, I assure you.
Ancient concept was underlined in his post. I asked him his point. Just because it's "ancient", doesn't mean that it has to be removed.
PCs are not ancient by my definition. In fact, if you'll notice, he was the first one to use the term.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
I know it might be confusing for you since they share the same name, but the Device Manager in Windows 95 is not the Device Manager in Windows 7. Furthermore, Device Manager is not something casual users use, even power/admin users do not use it constantly, making UI updates to it not important.
But it was important to remove the classic start menu?

I apologize for apparently irritating a few people...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 - Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
 
 

I think this is gone way overboard. It's simple, logic's reference to "ancient" was quite unnecessary. We still use the same forks (or other eating utensils) today as mankind did ages past, now they're just made with better metals and fancier designs. Doesn't make them any less useful. Taco took logic's comment too much to heart; sure, it was unnecessary, but not inaccurate, see my reference to eating utensils.

That aside, this thread is way offtopic, and has been answered. Closest thing available is Classic Shell, which both logic and I pointed to. Unless anyone else has anything else on this topic it should probably remain closed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2012   #18

win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I am using Classic Shell and the classic menu in windows 7. The log-off button presently appears above the shutdown button. Is there any way to put the log-off option into the shutdown fly out ? I hope I am posting in the right place
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2012   #19

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

If you ask Ivo - I expect he will show you how.

SourceForge.net: Classic Shell: Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2012   #20
Ivo

Windows 7 Home 64, Vista Ultimate 64
 
 

Go to the Customize Start Menu tab in the settings. Find the LogOffItem in the tree on the left. Drag it inside the ShutdownBoxItem.

You may want to change the text from $Menu.Logoff to simply "Log off" (or Sign Out as kids are calling it these days) because otherwise the text will include your name and may look too long in the sub-menu. To change the text, double-click on the item and edit the Label setting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Classic start menu in windows 7?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Classic start menu in windows 7?
Thread Forum
Solved Classic Windows Start Menu Software
Classic Start Menu: Start Button appears doubled Customization
Looking for windows 7 classic start menu black Customization
Aero-Styled Classic Start Menu in Windows 7 Customization
Like Windows Classic Start Menu? Customization
Classic desktop and Classic start menu Customization
Windows 7 & Classic start menu... General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33