Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Copying ExplorerFrame.dll to System32 puts it in SysWoW64 folder


17 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Copying ExplorerFrame.dll to System32 puts it in SysWoW64 folder

So I'm using the Elune theme for Windows 7, and I'm trying to use the ExplorerFrame.dll from it as well, but I'm having a strange problem.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, so I need to copy the ExplorerFrame.dll to both C:/Windows/System32/ and C:/Windows/SysWoW64/. I have taken ownership of the pre-existing ExplorerFrame.dll files in these folders and renamed them.

I'm aware that the 64 bit DLL goes into the C:/Windows/System32/ folder, and the 32 bit DLL goes into the C:/Windows/SysWoW64/ folder. For some reason, when I try to copy either the 32 or 64 bit DLL to C:/Windows/System32/, it will actually try to copy to the C:/Windows/SysWoW64/ folder.

I have absolutely no idea why it would be doing this or how to rectify this problem so I can copy the DLL into the C:/Windows/System32/ folder.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums

I have changed many system files and I have never come across that problem before, are you absolutely sure you have the right folder open when you try to copy them over?
To properly change a system file you need to take ownership give yourself permission and rename the old file and then copy in the new one look at Post #6 of this thread will tell you how to do it Basic Networking Information
Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

If you copy a file using a 64bits program it goes fine.

But if you copy with a 32bits program and copy to C:/Windows/System32/ it actually copies to C:/Windows/SysWoW64/ folder.

Excecutables use C:/Windows/System32 all the time for years. 32 bits are redirected to C:/Windows/SysWoW64 transparently... they don't even know

What copy program do you use?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Aug 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Welcome to the Seven Forums

I have changed many system files and I have never come across that problem before, are you absolutely sure you have the right folder open when you try to copy them over?
To properly change a system file you need to take ownership give yourself permission and rename the old file and then copy in the new one look at Post #6 of this thread will tell you how to do it Basic Networking Information
Jerry
Yes, I definitely have the right folders open, in fact I am copy/pasting the folder paths from this tutorial here: How to Install Custom Themes by =neiio on deviantART ("Explorerframe.dll Location" section).

All I did was install this registry key: Add “Take Ownership” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8 - Tweaking with Vishal, right click the files and clicked the newly added "Take ownership" option, then renamed the files, then tried to copy/paste the ExplorerFrame.dll from the Elune theme.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
If you copy a file using a 64bits program it goes fine.

But if you copy with a 32bits program and copy to C:/Windows/System32/ it actually copies to C:/Windows/SysWoW64/ folder.

Excecutables use C:/Windows/System32 all the time for years. 32 bits are redirected to C:/Windows/SysWoW64 transparently... they don't even know

What copy program do you use?
I am using TeraCopy, but I believe it is the x64 bit version of TeraCopy as it's in my C:/Program Files folder, not my C:/Program Files (x86) folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote:
I am using TeraCopy, but I believe it is the x64 bit version of TeraCopy as it's in my C:/Program Files folder, not my C:/Program Files (x86) folder.
That doesn't prove anything. Try to copy that dll in windows explorer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote:
I am using TeraCopy, but I believe it is the x64 bit version of TeraCopy as it's in my C:/Program Files folder, not my C:/Program Files (x86) folder.
That doesn't prove anything. Try to copy that dll in windows explorer
I disabled TeraCopy and it let me copy the file into the System32 folder, rebooted and had the updated ExplorerFrame.dll working and looking nice.

Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Copying ExplorerFrame.dll to System32 puts it in SysWoW64 folder




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Copying ExplorerFrame.dll to System32 puts it in SysWoW64 folder
Thread Forum
Two System32 Folder General Discussion
syswow64 folder is padlocked so CS can find this file Activelock3.6.dl PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved Installed App is in SysWOW64, but Registry shows System32 General Discussion
Large System32 and SysWOW64 Folders (>15GB ea.) Performance & Maintenance
Can't Create Folder in System32 System Security
How to access the System32 folder? General Discussion
Access to System32 Folder Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33