Before responding with help, please read everything carefully!
I apologize for my emphasis and the wall of text in advance!
*Takes a deep breath* System:
Windows 7 Ultimate x86, Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)What I'm looking for:
I'm asking if anyone knows the precise location to the setting for the Desktop View icon size setting, either a settings file or registry location (NOTHING ELSE). This is viewable by: Right-clicking the desktop -> Selecting View -> Large Icons, Medium Icons, or Classic Icons Problem:
Every time I set the option to Classic Icons, it resets to Medium Icons after rebooting.
looking for any of the many ways to change this setting through means of:
1) Personalize -> Window Color -> Advanced Appearance settings -> Icon Size
2) Theme settings
3) Group Policy settings
4) Ease of Access -> Change Administrative Settings -> Apply all settings to the logon desktop (Remains unchecked)
5) Ctrl + Mouse-Wheel method of changing icon size
6) Rebuilding Icon Cache
7) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon Size
- This is NOT a problem with setting the icon size or themes.
Minimum icon size is 16, which on Medium is larger then Classic at 32 (default).
- It's NOT a problem with any 3rd party programs or services.
I've tested with a selective startup disabling all non-Microsoft services and startup programs.
- Neither is it a malware or virus issue.
I've explored this to no end.
I've tried "sfc /scannow" to locate any altered/corrupt/missing system files as well, all are accounted for and working properly.
I need to locate the exact location for this particular setting (View: Large/Medium/Classic) and find out why it will not save appropriately. I've been to so many forums with so many different fixes and none of them work. I believe I've covered all methods I've attempted but I might have missed one. I rarely have need to ask on forums, but I've exhausted my search abilities to no avail.
I've tried to do as much homework as possible in advance; something that should be simple has become a rather tall order. Would anyone be able to help please?