Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 - Default Profile. How can I edit it?

23 Sep 2009   #1
Roasted

Ubuntu
 
 
Windows 7 - Default Profile. How can I edit it?

I work for a large public school district. We have been playing with Windows 7 and find that it may be a very solid product to use in our district... but there's a catch.

Businesses may be different, because typically there's only 1 user who users 1 system. However, in a school district, we have hundreds of students who use the library. Hundreds that use any of our computer labs. Hundreds that may take CADD, Business, Photoshop, or a series of other classes. As a result, our computer installs for each lab/school (elem/middle/high) vary by a lot.

The fix? Default profiles. They have been a blessing to use. Since we're using XP Pro SP3 in our district, it's easy to do. Set the profile up the way we need, desktop icons, program settings, printers, etc... copy to default, and BAM. Every student has the exact same stuff.

In order for Windows 7 to work in our environment... we need this... I tried Vista a few months ago for testing and I gave Vista the thumbs down for this exact reason. Windows 7 is looking to be a promising stepping stone for the future of Microsoft, so I'm sure it'll be here for quite a long time.

How can we edit the default profile? What's the process in copying the default profile over? How can I accomplish what I explained above with 7 that I do currently in XP?

I keep in close contact with several other school districts. Although the others are eyeballing 7, nobody is planning to act for at least 1 year into 7's release. However - I'm positive nobody in the school district system is going to touch it if the default profile situation can't be ironed out.

Any input? Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #2
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #3
Roasted

Ubuntu
 
 

What is this imaging they speak of? And WAIK?

I do not want to use any sort of Microsoft imaging solution. I have an imaging solution that is established and in place.

EDIT - I followed step 9 and 10 and that was it. All I did was copied "jason" and pasted it within the users folder. (Jason is the profile I want to use as default). Then I simply renamed Jason to Default.

I logged into a test account and sure enough I pulled the background, desktop icons, etc of the default profile I set up.

Is it really that easy? Why is it it was such a headache in Vista? Everybody I talked to was complaining about how cumbersome it was in Vista, yet I can't imagine it'd be that different.

Is doing the steps I did above all I need to do? Is this a positive solution? When I tried to do something similar in Vista, I kept getting corrupt profiles when it copied the default to a new account.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #4
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
What is this imaging they speak of? And WAIK?

I do not want to use any sort of Microsoft imaging solution. I have an imaging solution that is established and in place.

EDIT - I followed step 9 and 10 and that was it. All I did was copied "jason" and pasted it within the users folder. (Jason is the profile I want to use as default). Then I simply renamed Jason to Default.

I logged into a test account and sure enough I pulled the background, desktop icons, etc of the default profile I set up.

Is it really that easy? Why is it it was such a headache in Vista? Everybody I talked to was complaining about how cumbersome it was in Vista, yet I can't imagine it'd be that different.

Is doing the steps I did above all I need to do? Is this a positive solution? When I tried to do something similar in Vista, I kept getting corrupt profiles when it copied the default to a new account.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
lmao

Windows 7...yeah it really is that easy

I should copyright that slogan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #5
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Anyhow...

I don't have another computer to test but you could help the community by verifying if it does indeed work by copying the default profile to other computers...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #6
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

The imaging stuff, is so you could make a DVD or an installation material just like how you get Windows 7 from the store. It will install it in that matter, so if you do not have like hardware, conventional imaging won't work with that.

WAIK == Windows Automated Installation Kit, the name speaks for itself what it does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...stallation_Kit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #7
Roasted

Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
What is this imaging they speak of? And WAIK?

I do not want to use any sort of Microsoft imaging solution. I have an imaging solution that is established and in place.

EDIT - I followed step 9 and 10 and that was it. All I did was copied "jason" and pasted it within the users folder. (Jason is the profile I want to use as default). Then I simply renamed Jason to Default.

I logged into a test account and sure enough I pulled the background, desktop icons, etc of the default profile I set up.

Is it really that easy? Why is it it was such a headache in Vista? Everybody I talked to was complaining about how cumbersome it was in Vista, yet I can't imagine it'd be that different.

Is doing the steps I did above all I need to do? Is this a positive solution? When I tried to do something similar in Vista, I kept getting corrupt profiles when it copied the default to a new account.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
lmao

Windows 7...yeah it really is that easy

I should copyright that slogan
Sorry if what I said was comical. I've worked with Windows products for quite a long time, and I can't say I've ever really experienced something working without issue.

So far, so good. Windows 7 just locked up on my spare rig as I was setting it up to try the profile thing. Windows 7 in my Ubuntu VM worked though, but I'd rather see it on a stand-alone machine too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #8
Roasted

Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
The imaging stuff, is so you could make a DVD or an installation material just like how you get Windows 7 from the store. It will install it in that matter, so if you do not have like hardware, conventional imaging won't work with that.

WAIK == Windows Automated Installation Kit, the name speaks for itself what it does.
Windows Automated Installation Kit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I understand sysprep makes an image ready for whatever machine, and actually if you sysprep an image (to my knowledge) you CAN use any imaging solution you want without issue. I know several people who have done this, but they've done this with XP so I can't really speak for Vista/7 in this regard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #9
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
What is this imaging they speak of? And WAIK?

I do not want to use any sort of Microsoft imaging solution. I have an imaging solution that is established and in place.

EDIT - I followed step 9 and 10 and that was it. All I did was copied "jason" and pasted it within the users folder. (Jason is the profile I want to use as default). Then I simply renamed Jason to Default.

I logged into a test account and sure enough I pulled the background, desktop icons, etc of the default profile I set up.

Is it really that easy? Why is it it was such a headache in Vista? Everybody I talked to was complaining about how cumbersome it was in Vista, yet I can't imagine it'd be that different.

Is doing the steps I did above all I need to do? Is this a positive solution? When I tried to do something similar in Vista, I kept getting corrupt profiles when it copied the default to a new account.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
lmao

Windows 7...yeah it really is that easy

I should copyright that slogan
Sorry if what I said was comical. I've worked with Windows products for quite a long time, and I can't say I've ever really experienced something working without issue.

So far, so good. Windows 7 just locked up on my spare rig as I was setting it up to try the profile thing. Windows 7 in my Ubuntu VM worked though, but I'd rather see it on a stand-alone machine too.
No I was only laughing at the fact that people are very surprised when they realize that Windows 7 is not as complicated as Windows Vista was

...but I realize your pain. Most of the time Windows is a pain to deal with (we all have our war stories) but Windows 7 is looking very bright.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #10
Roasted

Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
lmao

Windows 7...yeah it really is that easy

I should copyright that slogan
Sorry if what I said was comical. I've worked with Windows products for quite a long time, and I can't say I've ever really experienced something working without issue.

So far, so good. Windows 7 just locked up on my spare rig as I was setting it up to try the profile thing. Windows 7 in my Ubuntu VM worked though, but I'd rather see it on a stand-alone machine too.
No I was only laughing at the fact that people are very surprised when they realize that Windows 7 is not as complicated as Windows Vista was

...but I realize your pain. Most of the time Windows is a pain to deal with (we all have our war stories) but Windows 7 is looking very bright.
Some quick background info about me:

I'm a hardcore Linux fanatic and open source fan. I will preach Linux until the end of days. I find I can do more with less restrictions at no cost with Ubuntu (distro of choice).

However... I'm a realist. I give all platforms credit where they deserve it. And I can honestly say I'm just as excited for Windows 7 to come out as any other hardcore Windows fan - and that is WEIRD for me to say. Windows 7 is looking to be extremely solid.

I'm going to continue playing with this profile thing. We have over a thousand computers in the district, and we have a very efficient imaging solution and could probably knock out the better part of 1,000 machines in a matter of 2-3 days, so I have to make sure we nail it right the first time around.

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate it!


EDIT - I ran into an issue... wondering if you guys could help... In XP land, we would frequently erase the profiles that students generate when they log in to cut back on hard drive space in use. I just tried that with my spare machine running Windows 7 Ultimate. I created 5 test accounts, logged in to them and pulled the default profile fine. I deleted 2 profiles and rebooted. When I log in to either of those particular 2 profiles, it comes back saying I am logged into a temporary profile and it will be deleted when I log out.

How can I prevent this? I want Windows to re-generate the profile from default if it doesn't already exist. This includes me deleting the profile. I want it to be re-generated if it needs to be.

Is this because the accounts I was testing were local accounts? If I take this rig to work and slap it on the domain would I get a better result?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 - Default Profile. How can I edit it?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Here's how to create a Default Profile without using SysPrep
OS: Windows 7 I have been looking at how to create a default profile without using SysPrep. There is a lot of information on the web on how it could be done in XP by just using a "copy to" command, and how it is not possible under Windows 7. The officially supported method from Microsoft...
Customization
How to restore context menu to default or how it was before you edit?
Suppose I used: "Edit" Context Menu - Change Default Program in Windows To man an edit or two. Isn't there a backup or restore function somewhere?
Customization
User Profile Service - default profile
Has anyone come across this issue happening frequently lately .... In the past 3 weeks I must have had 20+ PC's / Laptops that have had the same problem (see image below) Although I know how to fix it and I have had it crop up before, I've never had it hit so many units in such a short space...
General Discussion
Customize the default user profile in Windows 7
I hope that I am not posting a duplicate question, but I am having some problems with the setup of a new Windows 7 PC. I am ordering new PC's for my company, and all are comming with Windows 7 now. Before, on my Windows XP PC's, I could easily setup a profile and get the settings exactly how I...
Customization
creating a re-usable default profile
In the past... (since windows 98, sorry, showing my age) We have always been able to do the first time logon, setup all the applications, desktop settings, IE settings, everything, with a 'profile' user. We then rebooted the machine, logged on as adminstrator and Deleted the contents of the...
Installation & Setup
How to change default profile/computer name?
Hi. i'm sorry if i ask something dumb coz i am! i'm new in using windows 7 and dont know how to cook the system. all i can operate is the one and only microsoft word. so here's my problem: my laptop was reinstalled. and when i checked it, i found the default profile (or computer?) name changed to...
Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App