Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]

21 Aug 2014   #301
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

With creation of images for screen, (Web) display the actual resolution of the image is largely irrelevant ...

An image for use as, for example, a HD wallpaper is set at 1920 x 1080 pixels - the image quality for curves Etc, that this image is displayed is more to do with the size of the screen used to display it. An image will always look sharper on a small screen than a large screen, given that the resolution is equal. As the screen size increases the pixel size increases so at the same screen distance the pixels will be more visible.

The "rules" for internet images was always set at 72DPI as this was the dot resolution of early MAC screens whereas the PC used 96DPI, this system is these days of less use and it is "better" to design for the native pixel resolution of the screen that is the target output, looking at the size of objects in an image as a percentage of the screen, rather than an actual size.

High resolution images are still required for print output where the output device is capable of much higher dot pitch - for print it is usual to set your "canvas" based on the size of the output media times the resolution. Thus a 7"x 5" print on a 300 DPI printer would need a page size of 2100 x 1500 pixels, to achieve the best quality output.

If the pixel size of an image is less than the native size of the output device then the result will be less than ideal, and will look jagged as it has to be resized upwards to be displayed or printed, resulting in the pixels being interpolated (guessed), to fit - also there is no benefit in creating images too large for the output device as the image will need to be resized to fit and this will leave the final quality to the software in the output device, used to resize the image

When I take a photograph the image is 6000 x 4000 pixels so to best display on a HD TV screen I have to consider both the screen ratio and the resolution. if I print the final image I adjust the resolution to suit the output device, (on a 300 DPI device the ideal paper size would be 20" x 13.33"), and the size required. This can be left to the printer driver but is often better performed within the graphics application output module or manually by cropping the image to give the correct pixel resolution


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Aug 2014   #302
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
With creation of images for screen, (Web) display the actual resolution of the image is largely irrelevant ...

An image for use as, for example, a HD wallpaper is set at 1920 x 1080 pixels - the image quality for curves Etc, that this image is displayed is more to do with the size of the screen used to display it. An image will always look sharper on a small screen than a large screen, given that the resolution is equal. As the screen size increases the pixel size increases so at the same screen distance the pixels will be more visible.

The "rules" for internet images was always set at 72DPI as this was the dot resolution of early MAC screens whereas the PC used 96DPI, this system is these days of less use and it is "better" to design for the native pixel resolution of the screen that is the target output, looking at the size of objects in an image as a percentage of the screen, rather than an actual size.

High resolution images are still required for print output where the output device is capable of much higher dot pitch - for print it is usual to set your "canvas" based on the size of the output media times the resolution. Thus a 7"x 5" print on a 300 DPI printer would need a page size of 2100 x 1500 pixels, to achieve the best quality output.

If the pixel size of an image is less than the native size of the output device then the result will be less than ideal, and will look jagged as it has to be resized upwards to be displayed or printed, resulting in the pixels being interpolated (guessed), to fit - also there is no benefit in creating images too large for the output device as the image will need to be resized to fit and this will leave the final quality to the software in the output device, used to resize the image

When I take a photograph the image is 6000 x 4000 pixels so to best display on a HD TV screen I have to consider both the screen ratio and the resolution. if I print the final image I adjust the resolution to suit the output device, (on a 300 DPI device the ideal paper size would be 20" x 13.33"), and the size required. This can be left to the printer driver but is often better performed within the graphics application output module or manually by cropping the image to give the correct pixel resolution
Thank you Nigel great info !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #303
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
With creation of images for screen, (Web) display the actual resolution of the image is largely irrelevant ...

An image for use as, for example, a HD wallpaper is set at 1920 x 1080 pixels - the image quality for curves Etc, that this image is displayed is more to do with the size of the screen used to display it. An image will always look sharper on a small screen than a large screen, given that the resolution is equal. As the screen size increases the pixel size increases so at the same screen distance the pixels will be more visible.

The "rules" for internet images was always set at 72DPI as this was the dot resolution of early MAC screens whereas the PC used 96DPI, this system is these days of less use and it is "better" to design for the native pixel resolution of the screen that is the target output, looking at the size of objects in an image as a percentage of the screen, rather than an actual size.

High resolution images are still required for print output where the output device is capable of much higher dot pitch - for print it is usual to set your "canvas" based on the size of the output media times the resolution. Thus a 7"x 5" print on a 300 DPI printer would need a page size of 2100 x 1500 pixels, to achieve the best quality output.

If the pixel size of an image is less than the native size of the output device then the result will be less than ideal, and will look jagged as it has to be resized upwards to be displayed or printed, resulting in the pixels being interpolated (guessed), to fit - also there is no benefit in creating images too large for the output device as the image will need to be resized to fit and this will leave the final quality to the software in the output device, used to resize the image

When I take a photograph the image is 6000 x 4000 pixels so to best display on a HD TV screen I have to consider both the screen ratio and the resolution. if I print the final image I adjust the resolution to suit the output device, (on a 300 DPI device the ideal paper size would be 20" x 13.33"), and the size required. This can be left to the printer driver but is often better performed within the graphics application output module or manually by cropping the image to give the correct pixel resolution
Thank you Nigel. I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2014   #304
JDobbsy1987

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Following on from Mike's help and tutorial suggestions this is where i am up to at the moment, after a few more tutorials i will try combining the different things i learn into one signature.

Thank you EVERYONE for your suggestions and information.

High Res Version:

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-attempt-2.png

Regards,
Jamie


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #305
JDobbsy1987

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Where can i get the SevenForums logo from?
If i right click it to save the image i get:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #306
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Looks good Jamie

I can't remember where all of the forum logos are I rarely use them anymore and misplaced the ones I had
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #307
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDobbsy1987 View Post
Following on from Mike's help and tutorial suggestions this is where i am up to at the moment, after a few more tutorials i will try combining the different things i learn into one signature.

Thank you EVERYONE for your suggestions and information.

High Res Version:

Attachment 330071

Regards,
Jamie
That looks really good Jamie.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDobbsy1987 View Post
Where can i get the SevenForums logo from?
If i right click it to save the image i get:

I've attached the ones I made...


Attached Files
File Type: zip SF Logo.zip (304.8 KB, 4 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #308
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Ha these should open in gimp,
Seven Forums Logo.. file? :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2014   #309
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

Bits and bits for you Jamie just right click and save

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-4k32.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-4k323.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-4k3.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-logow.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-logo4.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-logotwist.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-new-logo.png

Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]-sf-logotwist-plastic.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2014   #310
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDobbsy1987 View Post
Following on from Mike's help and tutorial suggestions this is where i am up to at the moment, after a few more tutorials i will try combining the different things i learn into one signature.

Thank you EVERYONE for your suggestions and information.

High Res Version:

Attachment 330071

Regards,
Jamie
Beautiful, Jamie.

If possible, add a shadow to the text and make the top part of the gloss layer a bit more glossy.

Look at my sig, the same thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Custom Made Sig and Avatar [16]




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [15]
continued from http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/303376-custom-made-sig-avatar-14-a.html Trying some texture today :)
Customization
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [14]
Continued from - http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/292162-custom-made-sig-avatar-12-a.html oh dear, careful what you wish for it may come true... :p preview
Customization
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [12]
:note: Continued from http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/265939-custom-made-sig-avatar-11-a.html :):)
Customization
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [9]
Continued from - Custom Made Sig and Avatar
Customization
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [7]
Continued from - http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/159965-custom-made-sig-avatar-6-a.html
Customization
Custom Made Sig and Avatar [2]
Continued from - http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/16975-custom-made-sig-avatar.html You Want Custom made sig or an avatar? Then me or another one of our artists here at sevenforums will make one on your request's you tell us how it should look like, and We will try to make it :) ...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App