Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to rename "Computer" to "Username on Computername"


01 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
How to rename "Computer" to "Username on Computername"

This was a popular tweak for Windows XP and it worked also in windows Vista: it needed a very simple change in Windows registry:
System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]

Rename the value named "LocalizedString" to "LocalizedString.old". Create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

Exit the registry editor, click on your desktop and press F5 (for refresh). The "My Computer" icon should now be rename to "Username on Computername".

It does not work in Windows 7 because the system does'nt allow renaming or modifying the key. I even tried to start windows in Safe Mode but I did not succeed.

Windows 7 Registry Content is as follows (different than Vista and XP)

System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
(Default) Type: REG_SZ Value:Computer
InfoTip Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ Value:@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22913
LocalizedString Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ value:@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-9216

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Nov 2009   #2

Win7x64
 
 

That's actually a relatively hazardous stunt to pull for mere cosmetic benefit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 
How to rename "Computer" to "Username on Computername"

Who said is for cosmetic reasons? If you have multiple users who alternate in the usage of a computer it's a very useful tweak. In our company we have used this tweak for years with windows XP and Vista.
I think that if you don't know the answer to a question, you should say so, instead of posting judgements.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 build 7600 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
It does not work in Windows 7 because the system does'nt allow renaming or modifying the key.
are you running regedit as admin?
It works fine for me
Windows 7 build 7100.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #5

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NCondulmari View Post
Who said is for cosmetic reasons? If you have multiple users who alternate in the usage of a computer it's a very useful tweak. In our company we have used this tweak for years with windows XP and Vista.
I think that if you don't know the answer to a question, you should say so, instead of posting judgements.
It's a warning, not a judgement.

Some of those strings are expected to be a certain (localised) length, for use in other non-obvious places in the shell.

What benefit does this provide, out of curiosity?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 build 7600 64 bit
 
 

I also see this done in the university here, "%username% on %computername%"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ult x64
 
 

It's true - you can't fool with that value any more. I used to rename Computer to the name the PC had on the network, but I can live without it (just)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7
 
 
How to rename "Computer" to "Username on Computername"

This tweak is very useful when you have working stations shared by different users. For example: salespersons who come to the office to post their work or check their mail. It happens even in this era of internet connectivity. The occasional user logs in to the workstation with username and password. The "username on computername" tweak allows to see if somebody is still logged in, or who logged in last.
You can rename or change the keys values if you have administrative priviledges and make yourself owner of the keys you want to modify. But the modifications have no effect in windows 7. The name of the desktop icon remains "Computer". Very frustrating
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NCondulmari View Post
Who said is for cosmetic reasons? If you have multiple users who alternate in the usage of a computer it's a very useful tweak. In our company we have used this tweak for years with windows XP and Vista.
I think that if you don't know the answer to a question, you should say so, instead of posting judgements.
It's a warning, not a judgement.

Some of those strings are expected to be a certain (localised) length, for use in other non-obvious places in the shell.

What benefit does this provide, out of curiosity?
See my last post. I have used this tweak on all the XP or Vista workstations in my company for years
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #10

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NCondulmari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NCondulmari View Post
Who said is for cosmetic reasons? If you have multiple users who alternate in the usage of a computer it's a very useful tweak. In our company we have used this tweak for years with windows XP and Vista.
I think that if you don't know the answer to a question, you should say so, instead of posting judgements.
It's a warning, not a judgement.

Some of those strings are expected to be a certain (localised) length, for use in other non-obvious places in the shell.

What benefit does this provide, out of curiosity?
See my last post. I have used this tweak on all the XP or Vista workstations in my company for years

I understand that. I'm now asking you why you feel tempted to do this, because that info may help me or somebody else who sees this thread to suggest a viable alternative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to rename "Computer" to "Username on Computername"




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33