Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Starter

01 Nov 2009   #1
zetolas

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 Starter

Hello guys,

i just pick a new netbook with Windows 7 Starter on it, but im a bit confuse how can i put the desktop icons there (my computer, network, my docs).
personalize isnt there and i dont find nothing in control painel about it.

Just make shortcuts for all that or any other solution ?

Thanks for help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Nov 2009   #2
Zen00

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If you right click on the desktop you'll pop up a menu, click the personalize tab.

A box should pop up, on the left of the box there is a option, change desktop icons. Click that and you can change the icons on the desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #3
zetolas

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for your reply, but if you read what i post, in Windows Starter personalize isnt there and i dont find nothing about in control painel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2009   #4
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Can you right click each one in the start menu and either send to-->desktop or show on desktop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #5
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zetolas View Post
Hello guys,

i just pick a new netbook with Windows 7 Starter on it, but im a bit confuse how can i put the desktop icons there (my computer, network, my docs).
personalize isnt there and i dont find nothing in control painel about it.

Just make shortcuts for all that or any other solution ?

Thanks for help

Try this:

Personalization Shortcut - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #6
zetolas

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for your help guys, i just made the shortcuts (faster way)

Cheer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #7
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Does this allow you to change the desktop in W7 starter edition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #8
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

From my understanding you cannot change the background in Windows 7 starter....which is just plain stupid in my opinion and pretty much the sole reason that I am not buying a netbook right now...since all of them come with Windows 7 starter on them.

According to an MSFT on Microsoft blog site:
Quote:
There is no way to change the background in Windows 7 Starter Edition. The image is locked to the BetaFish, locked by a hash and refered to in Shell32.dll so there's no way around it.
It's garbage like this which irritates me to no end that Linux was more or less eliminated from these devices in retail chains. I don't want these ridiculous limitations on my OS simple to drive down price. And I don't want to cough up another $79 to anytime upgrade it...as that drives the netbook price up to just about a laptop price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #9
CowPieSoup

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
From my understanding you cannot change the background in Windows 7 starter....which is just plain stupid in my opinion and pretty much the sole reason that I am not buying a netbook right now...since all of them come with Windows 7 starter on them.

According to an MSFT on Microsoft blog site:
Quote:
There is no way to change the background in Windows 7 Starter Edition. The image is locked to the BetaFish, locked by a hash and refered to in Shell32.dll so there's no way around it.
It's garbage like this which irritates me to no end that Linux was more or less eliminated from these devices in retail chains. I don't want these ridiculous limitations on my OS simple to drive down price. And I don't want to cough up another $79 to anytime upgrade it...as that drives the netbook price up to just about a laptop price.
There's absolutely nothing stopping you from downloading Ubuntu or something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #10
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CowPieSoup View Post
There's absolutely nothing stopping you from downloading Ubuntu or something.
Yes, that is always an option. However, for this particular device, I was just hoping to pick up a device and simply use what's on it rather than be a nerd and upgrade, modify, change, etc with the device.

Oh well, for the time being, I'm just going without the Netbook. I have a work laptop that I can keep using and it doesn't cost me anything.

I think overall it's just a bummer that the netbook market just flocked to the MS offerings and to keep costs down...they all have this artificially limited version of the OS that won't meet a lot of peoples needs and then by time people upgrade the devices...they cost as much as a full laptop with less power, less features, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Starter




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Starter
So my fiancee's laptop was getting blue screens and huge problems. It wasn't even booting up fully without restarting. We supposed it was the hard drive. We replaced the hard drive. The only thing is that we needed from the hard drive was: Windows 7 Starter. It was a dell inspiron mini...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 starter RDT
Can I remote desktop from windows 7 starter to any computer with XP or 7, without upgrading to 7 Premium? I am looking to buy a net book that has 7 starter loaded on it, but if it can't remote connect then I need to rethink it. I know most net book's do not have enough RAM to run 7.
Network & Sharing
windows 7 starter
hi i have a samsung netbook and i want to reinstall windows does any body now where i can get a disc ? i have an external dvd drive to do the reinstall + i can get the drivers from samsung web site i just need the windows disc or some thing i can down load to do the format thank you
Software
Windows 7 Starter ISO?
I have an Asus EEEpc 1005-HAB. It came with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. I completely formated the HDD and installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 LTS. I want to reinstall Windows, but linux won't mount my shared DVD drive on my Windows 7 desktop. I still have my OEM disk and my product key, but I...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Starter Or Xp...
Just bought this netbook and was wondering what OS I should put on it? Windows 7 or XP? What OS is better for performance/battery life. UPDATE http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-xp,2339-3.html Made up my mind...
General Discussion
windows 7 starter
my girlfriend just bought the new mini 10 v from dell with what we thought was windows 7 home edition but ended up being starter. It seems stupid. it cant do shake or the windows pop up windows for viewing your open programs. I only received it a couple hours ago but we are really upset with it....
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App