Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Taskbar less 30px height?

09 Sep 2015   #11
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Understanding7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swserg View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You could select to hide the Taskbar; then it would only show when the cursor was hovered over it.
well, i know about that feature, but i cannot accept it, I need taskbar to be always visible, I use notification systray to see some important notification icons, time and so on.
What about the clock on the wall, or the calendar or timer on the desk?

People are trying to help you, but this all comes down to you refusing to flex your wrist to move the mouse to quickly reveal something, and instead wanting to move your eyes in their sockets to be able to get a brief glance at something always visible, but it is the visible thing that is irritating you. You want to always see it, but you do not want to see it so large because it takes up valuable screen space, ...and on a laptop to boot!

Good luck in your endeavor.
That's a little harsh, uncalled for, and you need to cool your jets a little. There are many perfectly valid reasons for wanting to lock the taskbar and not use autohide. On my computer, I monitor the temperatures of each of my six cores with CoreTemp, which displays them in the notification area. I also monitor internet activity on a small bar chart that runs in my taskbar. Both take up far less room there than their desktop alternatives. I also can see at a glance what windows are open with a locked taskbar.

Also, an unlocked taskbar with autohide enabled has the nasty habit of popping up when one moves the mouse pointer to the edge the window where the taskbar is located. I find that extremely inconvenient and annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure I missed many other reasons but those were what popped to mind just now.

It's the OP's computer and it's his decision on how he wants to use it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Sep 2015   #12
Understanding7

Windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Understanding7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swserg View Post

well, i know about that feature, but i cannot accept it, I need taskbar to be always visible, I use notification systray to see some important notification icons, time and so on.
What about the clock on the wall, or the calendar or timer on the desk?

People are trying to help you, but this all comes down to you refusing to flex your wrist to move the mouse to quickly reveal something, and instead wanting to move your eyes in their sockets to be able to get a brief glance at something always visible, but it is the visible thing that is irritating you. You want to always see it, but you do not want to see it so large because it takes up valuable screen space, ...and on a laptop to boot!

Good luck in your endeavor.
That's a little harsh, uncalled for, and you need to cool your jets a little. There are many perfectly valid reasons for wanting to lock the taskbar and not use autohide. On my computer, I monitor the temperatures of each of my six cores with CoreTemp, which displays them in the notification area. I also monitor internet activity on a small bar chart that runs in my taskbar. Both take up far less room there than their desktop alternatives. I also can see at a glance what windows are open with a locked taskbar.

Also, an unlocked taskbar with autohide enabled has the nasty habit of popping up when one moves the mouse pointer to the edge the window where the taskbar is located. I find that extremely inconvenient and annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure I missed many other reasons but those were what popped to mind just now.

It's the OP's computer and it's his decision on how he wants to use it.
I think you need to cool your jets. You response sounds just like mine. I like your response. Do you? It's just guy talk, Lady.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #13
Understanding7

Windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swserg View Post
Quote:
What about the clock on the wall, or the calendar or timer on the desk?
haha, you really see your desktop? are you working on it? I could see my desktop only when I lock my screen. I usually have ~10 opened programs on my desktop, which all the time take 100% of my desktop.

ps. I even do not have icons/shortcuts on my desktop because it is useless now, all progs are launched from taskbar or with WIN+R / Start searcher.
Agreed. Desktop is just a starting point for me. After firing up my PC, I rarely see it. I do use it for quick storage and sorting items before tucking them away. For cosmetics, I like AutoHideDesktopIcons as it is free and makes invisible all items on desktop for the clean look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Sep 2015   #14
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Understanding7 View Post
...I think you need to cool your jets. You response sounds just like mine. I like your response. Do you? It's just guy talk, Lady.
No, you were the one who was out of line. You were the one who came in insulting the OP, essentially calling him lazy, apparently based on your workflow differing from his. If you don't like getting called on for being rude, then don't be rude.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #15
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

OK lets keep things civil!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #16
Understanding7

Windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Understanding7 View Post
...I think you need to cool your jets. You response sounds just like mine. I like your response. Do you? It's just guy talk, Lady.
No, you were the one who was out of line. You were the one who came in insulting the OP, essentially calling him lazy, apparently based on your workflow differing from his. If you don't like getting called on for being rude, then don't be rude.
I never argue with a narcissist. Focus on the topic and not on argumentum ad hominem. You drew first blood. Just shut up and focus on the OP.

The OP is asking if he can make a Ford look like a Chevy instead of accepting the Ford is a Ford. I am saying that lowering the profile of the taskbar requires intense modification of system files and a lot of trial and error.

He did not give a reason at first, and after several polite queries the reasons began to come out and they were solely based on taste.

Admittedly, when someone asks to bring the mountain to Mohammad there will be a few wry remarks at such odd requests. That is normal. What is abnormal is a troll hijacking a post to attack someone with the same methods they accuse their victim of.

"essentially calling him lazy"!!! Go watch the CPU temperature on your monitor or something and leave me alone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #17
swserg

windows 7 sp1 x64
 
 

Understanding7, i am working with win desktop for decades, and i absolutely know all "Stock" taskbar features (hide/resize), my request is about taskbar customization, that is exactly what I want, As example I work also with Ubuntu Desktop, and it uses 25px top taskbar and all look perfect on my laptop desk with such height, I know that lowest stock height in windows is 30px with small icons, of course i am asking about customization, and looks like i found it searching inet: looks like it is possible using Vista style builder vistastylebuilder.com but it is not a free software, and i dont know if anybody used it. it pasts 6 years since latest release.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Hi swserg.

Sorry I have no other ideas that might help you.
I'm not really concerned why you want it. You wanting a smaller Taskbar is good enough for me to give my suggestions. Many of us have things we like our system to look like for different reasons. I'm not questioning your reasons. I'm just don't have the knowledge in such matter to offer more help.
Just hang in there because the right member could drop by with the answer you want.

If you find the answer to your problem please inform us. That information may help others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #19
swserg

windows 7 sp1 x64
 
 

hi, Layback Bear, sure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2015   #20
swserg

windows 7 sp1 x64
 
 

finally found the solution: I got 24px height task bar with Custom Theme - Leopard, looks cool
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Taskbar less 30px height?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to create Start button orbs for 30px taskbar?
Hi, i am trying to replace original start button with customized ones, i am using windows 7 start button changer tool, the problem is that whatever orbs i trying to use, all of them are for 40px taskbar and shown outside the bar, is there examples for 30px taskbar (small-icons)? ps. if there...
Customization
change height of taskbar buttons
How can I change the height of these taskbar buttons to be shorter?
Customization
Any way to make quicklaunch and taskbar icons same height?
I added the quicklaunch bar back to the taskbar (so that I can open new programs with one click instead of the retarded two that Windows 7 wants). Anyway, when I do this, the large icons in the quicklaunch bar cause the whole taskbar to increase in height, meaning that my mouse cursor now has to...
Customization
Taskbar Height Question
I've got my taskbar set to use small icons, but I'm wondering if there's any way to make it even thinner yet. Basically, I use a custom start orb that looks like the min/max/close buttons, and I'd like to make it so the distance from the bottom of that to the bottom of the taskbar is the same...
Customization
Taskbar Height
My secondary rig is on a 17" CRT, unlike my primary which is on a 23" LCD. With the primary display, the Start Menu button extends slightly above the Taskbar, making all of the icons on it to be a bit smaller, but on the CRT, the Start Menu button fits within the taskbar, and all icons are the...
Customization
How to force taskbar to be 24px max in height?
Hi, Customization of taskbar for standard theme (right click on task bar, properties, check on "use small icons") permit to reduce the huge appearence but is not sufficent for me :(. I would know if there is a method to force icons @ 20px and taskbar @24px, like tweaking the registry or...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App