Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Most Useful - Disable smart window arrangement trick

05 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
Most Useful - Disable smart window arrangement trick

Windows 7 uses its own intelligence to arrange your windows.


For an example, when you drag a window to the top of the screen it automatically maximizes. But if your wanna master Windows 7 at your best, you need to disable this arrangement. Let's see how to go about it


Step 1: In the Start Search type regedit to edit the registry
Step 2: Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Step 3: Set WindowArrangementActive value to 0, and reboot


Now your windows will behave as in the earlier versions.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Venths View Post
Windows 7 uses its own intelligence to arrange your windows.


For an example, when you drag a window to the top of the screen it automatically maximizes. But if your wanna master Windows 7 at your best, you need to disable this arrangement. Let's see how to go about it


Step 1: In the Start Search type regedit to edit the registry
Step 2: Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Step 3: Set WindowArrangementActive value to 0, and reboot


Now your windows will behave as in the earlier versions.
Will this change the ability to use Win + Rt Arrow or Win + Lf Arrow?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CrazeeAFGuy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Venths View Post
Windows 7 uses its own intelligence to arrange your windows.


For an example, when you drag a window to the top of the screen it automatically maximizes. But if your wanna master Windows 7 at your best, you need to disable this arrangement. Let's see how to go about it


Step 1: In the Start Search type regedit to edit the registry
Step 2: Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Step 3: Set WindowArrangementActive value to 0, and reboot


Now your windows will behave as in the earlier versions.
Will this change the ability to use Win + Rt Arrow or Win + Lf Arrow?
No, this is just to disable the automatic resizing of the current window when we click on Top of the window

i.e., most of the times the explorer window maximizes to full screen when we just click and drag it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I will definitely have to check this out, as that feature drives me nuts. I just didn't want to risk losing my snap-abilities.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CrazeeAFGuy View Post
I will definitely have to check this out, as that feature drives me nuts. I just didn't want to risk losing my snap-abilities.
Please provide feedback once you have checked it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Venths View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CrazeeAFGuy View Post
I will definitely have to check this out, as that feature drives me nuts. I just didn't want to risk losing my snap-abilities.
Please provide feedback once you have checked it
I can no longer use the win key and left or right arrow to snap windows to the sides of the monitor. Some people may be fine with this, but I love that feature. Gotta change it back.

Changed it back, and the feature returns. If you are looking to bring it back to the old way of manually configuring windows this is fine.

+Rep though for sharing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Most Useful - Disable smart window arrangement trick





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33