Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Adding a toolbar to the top of the screen????


17 Jan 2010   #21
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stringtheory View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sopolias Falst View Post
Get a life and adopt to changes. Poke around and you'll find even better features for what you want to do.
I'm not the OP, but I'm yet another user (with a life, thank you) who would
love to hear what these "better features" are. Please elaborate.

BTW, I'm a software consultant, and I keep about 80 quick-launch icons for
utilities at the sides of the screen in XP and Vista. Last thing that I need in
the middle of trying to drill into low-level for debugging apps is the distraction
of navigating popup menus. How else would you do that?
I have just as many shortcuts spread all over. I use AppLauncher in the sidebar (put the Vista Sidebar into my Windows 7). Then I have 4 different Toolbars off the taskbar (i don't like to have everything in the same place - I group it by category) and then i also use the Rocket Dock (on 32bit though). With that spread I can launch anything instantly.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2010   #22

several
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
It appears that Rocket Dock won't work with 64-bit OS's yet.
That is correct - that's what it says on their download page.
Yep, I wasn't implying that they misrepresented anything. Only that those running 64-bit may want to check Nexus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2010   #23

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

may i add that the reason many features are dropped from the 7 or in the case of the windows live applications changed over to download only is because so many users didn't want or need these applications. we asked for a leaner smaller os and microsoft gave us that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Jan 2010   #24
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
may i add that the reason many features are dropped from the 7 or in the case of the windows live applications changed over to download only is because so many users didn't want or need these applications. we asked for a leaner smaller os and microsoft gave us that.

In principle you are right - we asked for it. And making whole components like WMM, etc. optional is a good thing. BUT, small, useful functions like the Toolbar on top of the screen that make the operation of the system easier, should not have been axed. I am sure they did that to accomodate their desktop background stuff - who needs it? That is really some useless junk that adds nothing to the ease of operation and bloats the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2010   #25

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

[QUOTE=whs;512909]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
In principle you are right - we asked for it. And making whole components like WMM, etc. optional is a good thing. BUT, small, useful functions like the Toolbar on top of the screen that make the operation of the system easier, should not have been axed. I am sure they did that to accomodate their desktop background stuff - who needs it? That is really some useless junk that adds nothing to the ease of operation and bloats the system.
idk i really like some of the new desktop features especially aero snap, on large screens it really saves time when you want to see multiple windows at once, now aero shake, i don't really see the point in that one, i think it's more just eye candy and because they could
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #26
ArinA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
may i add that the reason many features are dropped from the 7 or in the case of the windows live applications changed over to download only is because so many users didn't want or need these applications. we asked for a leaner smaller os and microsoft gave us that.
Leaner?

I understand leaner. Remove the junk software. Remove the windows live crap. Shit... Remove MS paint. That's leaner. Removing the ability to right click and add a toolbar is not.

Everyone can argue with me on this and I don't care. I'm right and you're wrong. Windows 7 removed on of it's greatest assets and now it's just shitty.

If anyone knows how to bring it back please do tell.

If anyone knows an alternative thats 100% identical (none of this 'jerk me off *I now look like a mac*' rocket dock BS), please chime in.

-Arin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #27
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ArinA View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
may i add that the reason many features are dropped from the 7 or in the case of the windows live applications changed over to download only is because so many users didn't want or need these applications. we asked for a leaner smaller os and microsoft gave us that.
Leaner?

I understand leaner. Remove the junk software. Remove the windows live crap. Shit... Remove MS paint. That's leaner. Removing the ability to right click and add a toolbar is not.

Everyone can argue with me on this and I don't care. I'm right and you're wrong. Windows 7 removed on of it's greatest assets and now it's just shitty.

If anyone knows how to bring it back please do tell.

If anyone knows an alternative thats 100% identical (none of this 'jerk me off *I now look like a mac*' rocket dock BS), please chime in.

-Arin

I think you are just an unhappy camper. Your remarks are way off course. We were trying to make suggestions within the confines of Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #28

several
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ArinA View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by valtonray View Post
may i add that the reason many features are dropped from the 7 or in the case of the windows live applications changed over to download only is because so many users didn't want or need these applications. we asked for a leaner smaller os and microsoft gave us that.
Leaner?

I understand leaner. Remove the junk software. Remove the windows live crap. Shit... Remove MS paint. That's leaner. Removing the ability to right click and add a toolbar is not.

Everyone can argue with me on this and I don't care. I'm right and you're wrong. Windows 7 removed on of it's greatest assets and now it's just shitty.

If anyone knows how to bring it back please do tell.

If anyone knows an alternative thats 100% identical (none of this 'jerk me off *I now look like a mac*' rocket dock BS), please chime in.

-Arin
That feature was a very simple one...being able to drag a toolbar to the desktop. In Windows 7, creation of toolbars within the taskbar is still possible, so we're just talking about the drag/drop to desktop. That wouldn't be one of those 'streamline' points--at least not a major one. A lot of the emphasis in Windows 7 and Vista is on eye candy and glitz -- Aero and fancy visual features. In this respect, a lot of MS's decisions are probably market-driven (competition with Mac) rather than trying to provide features that don't jump off the screen.

MS has also screwed up some development tools for about the same reason. They're determined to use WPF everywhere, and now their own development system (Visual Studio) has slowed down drastically. (Who cares about shaded buttons and nice transparencies when you're trying to write code?). Also omissions of functional features that were in VS2005 and VS2008, but evidently didn't pass the new 'visual impact' test. Pulled the rug out from under lots of programmers.

Back to subject at hand: If we're talking about the same thing, Arin, I believe that this would be easy to duplicate. I don't use the docking feature--I just keep programs categorized by function in one of about 10 desktop toolbars. It allows me to expand a toolbar's window when I'm working within that category. And visibility, sorting, and one-click launch are nice.

Anyway, I was thinking about writing something like that, cause my Windows 7 desktop is now (ironically) ugly and cluttered with icons. But that is probably something that I won't get to for a while.

I haven't seen any of the other toolbars that do what I want, but this is easy enough (not sure about docking) that someone may have done it already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #29
jth

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Useful Alternative

I know this is not exactly what you were looking for but I just stumbled onto it and I think it is pretty neat. I always wanted my Desktop clean of shortcuts and found a way to obtain it and yet still have it a single mouse click anyway.

1) Right click the Desktop, select View and uncheck "Show desktop icons"
This will result in a clean Desktop - Yeah! and you can always undo this if it makes you nervous.

2) Right click the Taskbar, select Toolbars, Desktop
This will once again give you access to your Desktop with a single click to the double arrows.

You don't say why you use a Desktop toolbar but if you used it to control application shortcuts or any sort of shortcuts you could accomplish almost the same thing as a Desktop Toolbar by creating a Folder (anywhere on your hard drives), which contain these shortcuts and instead of viewing the Desktop in the preceding instruction #2 you could perform the following:
Right click the Taskbar, select Toolbars, New toolbar - navigate to your newly created Folder, choose it and finally click the Select Folder button
This will produce a new toolbar which uses your Folder name located on the Taskbar with a double arrow. You can click the double arrows to see and/or launch any of the Folder's shortcuts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #30

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
It appears that Rocket Dock won't work with 64-bit OS's yet.
That is correct - that's what it says on their download page.

I have it running in 64x and have seen only minor issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Adding a toolbar to the top of the screen????




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33